Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So frustrated that TEG won't discharge to grid during peak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I switch over to self powered, that settings works fine. If I switch back over to advanced, it again does what it's been doing wrong since 3 pm. So my PWs are going to charge to 100% even though it's totally unecessary.

Also, I'm on brand new TEG firmware since yesterday. Just moved from 20.40.2 to 20.40.3.

I am on 20.4.3 in Advanced - Cost Savings. Mine discharges whenever peak period starts as long as I am above my reserve.

Probably time to call Tesla and ask them what's up.

BTW today at the start of peak while I was producing solar my PWs where in standby and discharging excess to the grid. But that is a fluke because I have a wiring issue with one of my solar systems that is connected to the Home circuit instead of the Solar circuit. So that solar system was supplying all the house needs, instead of the PWs, and whatever was left was going to the grid along with the other two solar systems power. As soon as the solar production for the miss wired system dropped below the house load the PWs went into discharge mode.

Let me join the crowd that’s never seen anything like this. I don’t doubt that something’s wrong, but I’m not sure what that might be (weird question, I wonder what time the gateway thinks it is?).

Bruce.

I will confirm - I have had same problems as OP with power wall discharge during nonpeak and charging from grid during peak while using cost savings mode on 20.40.3. New system and figured there are still some “wires loose” with the system as a whole and tech planned to come out again...already has been out before for entire day trouble shooting stating some of my system was connected to a neighbors, some reverse grid direction from PV, need a new part for one of the inverters, etc.
Meanwhile, have been switching between backup and self powered mode manually which was “working” fine. Now today, powerwalls discharged below set reserve of self power mode (reserve 30, went down to 19 before switching back to grid) ..... go figure.

Pics for above post 0E202B93-6437-4B00-BD3E-3718EBE3A33D.png9260923A-5B74-4A0F-AE3F-EAD8E19537A6.jpeg

I will confirm - I have had same problems as OP with power wall discharge during nonpeak and charging from grid during peak while using cost savings mode on 20.40.3. New system and figured there are still some “wires loose” with the system as a whole and tech planned to come out again...already has been out before for entire day trouble shooting stating some of my system was connected to a neighbors, some reverse grid direction from PV, need a new part for one of the inverters, etc.
Meanwhile, have been switching between backup and self powered mode manually which was “working” fine. Now today, powerwalls discharged below set reserve of self power mode (reserve 30, went down to 19 before switching back to grid) ..... go figure.

Shouldn't you be using Advanced Time based control if you are concerned about peak/part-peak/off-peak periods? If you only use Self-powered, it doesn't pay any attention to peak/part-peak/off-peak periods.

OP (and I) were stating that advanced mode was not managing system appropriately for some reason when accounting for correct peak and no peak time periods.
I have been manually switching b/w self power ( during peak) and battery backup (during non peak) while waiting for more tech support to trouble shoot system. My point was that even then, there is a gremlin in the system when last night Powerwalls were discharging BELOW set reserve.

OP (and I) were stating that advanced mode was not managing system appropriately for some reason when accounting for correct peak and no peak time periods.
I have been manually switching b/w self power ( during peak) and battery backup (during non peak) while waiting for more tech support to trouble shoot system. My point was that even then, there is a gremlin in the system when last night Powerwalls were discharging BELOW set reserve.

i had the same thing happen not too long ago: PWs discharging well below reserve

I’m seeing some other weird behaviors too. My “Peak” is 8am-8pm, so obviously PWs get charged during peak. But last night my PWs were discharging during Offpeak to charge my car:mad:

First time that has happened. I’m liking this cost savings algorithm less and less, and wish I could select exactly when I want to use grid vs solar/PW

EDIT: what would be perfect for me would be able to set a timeslot for backup only, and an opposite timeslot for self-powered. And then obviously if I hit my reserve during self-powered, would supplement with grid

Last edited: