TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

So frustrated with the HEAT in my model S

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Thebluebird, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Thebluebird

Thebluebird Member

My heat doesn’t work unless I have the setting on “HI” (which is over 81 degrees). Then it blows a lot of very hot air. I moved the temp down to 78 degrees and get cool air! I’ve brought the car in, again, for this issue and just got it back with no solution “the diagnostics on the car are all fine”. Has anyone else had any issues with the heat?

So I have cold air, cooler air, and extremely hot air! This is very upsetting for an expensive car and such a seemingly minor issue.

• Like x 2
  2. glide

glide Active Member

I’ve never experienced that issue.

My only heat issues are that it escapes from the leaky cabin very quickly and it doesn’t seem to blow on my feet.

• Like x 5
  3. CameronB

CameronB Member

I haven't seen that either @Thebluebird. It's coldish (for California!) these days at maybe 50ºF/10ºC and I set the temp to about 74ºF and that keeps me rather warm. I do also have heated seats set at "2".

I'd talk to the service center. Sounds like there is some kind of issue. Is it a new vehicle?

• Funny x 1
  4. Doanster1

Doanster1 Member

Is Range Mode on? That def alters the HVAC algorithm. I used to turn on Range Mode only when on road trips. While I don’t need to crank it to 81 to get heat, I def needed to turn it up a few degs to get equivalent heating w/o Range Mode on. I now never use it so it’s a non-issue.

• Helpful x 1
  5. aerodyne

aerodyne Active Member

Long shot, but try this...first disable range mode, try the heater settings. Then, force the AC off. Repeat.

6. CameronB

CameronB Member

Good idea. I forgot about range mode. That could certainly make a difference. I haven't used that in a while.

7. aerodyne

aerodyne Active Member

According to others, range mode decreases available heat power by a factor of 2...

8. jerry33

jerry33 (S85-3/2/13 traded in) X LR: F2611##-3/27/20

Preheating used to be much warmer when the maximum temperature setting (below HI) was 31.5 rather than 27.5. From what I've experienced, range mode is mostly good for short local trips and/or frequent stops (visiting several stores, etc.). However, I've never experienced the A/C effect that the OP describes.

9. aerodyne

aerodyne Active Member

Me neither. Long shot in case there was a fault in the AC loop such that it was fighting the heater at low settings.

10. Thebluebird

Thebluebird Member

Thanks for everyone’s feedback. I do not have range mode on. To add to my issue: when I “turned the car on”using the Tesla App and put the interior climate to 74 degrees ( it was 48 degrees - I live in NJ) the car was 74 when I got into the car. So the heat worked upon turning it on, albeit remotely. So now it seems the heat doesn’t work properly when I am driving the car and altering the temperature.

11. Thebluebird

Thebluebird Member

*** I got the car February 2018***

12. Sonic_78

Sonic_78 Member

No issue here blue. Have our X set to 68 / Auto. Been below zero, parked outside, etc... no issue. I do usually preheat the car 10 - 15 minutes tho.

13. Joelgjr

Joelgjr Member

When I lived in Boston with my car it would often get into single digits F with wind chill well into the negatives. I just set my heat to 72 and was toasty warm the whole drive. Even my feet

14. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Certainly sounds like something is off. Never had anything like that in my Feb 2013 Model S or February 2018 Model X.

15. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

This is not typical. The only issue I had, with my first Tesla, was that the foot wells would tend to be cold on very cold days. My 2018 is fine.

• Like x 1
  16. zoeconner

zoeconner Member

#16 zoeconner, Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    I bought the orange one first. Then I fabbed my own and works way better. Im not sure why the person who is selling these designed it so small. Mine directs way more air than the smaller one. Now I can feel a little more air flowing over my feet. Way better. Before I mass produce this anyone interested in trying one lol?

Attached Files:

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  17. Dublin 'Eer

Dublin 'Eer Member

I’ve had the exact same issue as he OP. It usually doesn’t bother me because I like it warm, but it is frustrating when I get very hot air on hi and cool air on 81.

18. zoeconner

zoeconner Member

Hey Dublin not too far from you

19. Dublin 'Eer

Dublin 'Eer Member

Nice—a lot of Tesla’s around here. Where are you?

20. Dublin 'Eer

Dublin 'Eer Member

Just looked up your zip—we actually used to be closer. We spent 6 years in Ada when my wife was in pharmacy school at ONU.