Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So frustrated with the HEAT in my model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would definitely reach out to your SC. I had a Volt that horrible heat. My Model S has never given me a bit of trouble with the heat. I do usually precondition, but even below zero temperatures it is rock solid even with range mode. The heat is about the only thing that hasn’t given me trouble...

Yeah, I experience the same on my Dec 18 MS build. Thought it was just me, but I haven't brought it up to SC yet.

A few degrees down from "High" will result immediately with cold air. There's no gradual change from Hot to warm to cooler, to cold. It's just completely cold air in the 70s. Strange. I am going to bring this up to my SC on my next appointment.

My late 17 S75 will blow cool air too when driving and it's been 15-30F recently. I think this is an energy saving algorithm once cabin to temp and light/sun sensor activated it starts will cool air. My normal setting is 64 and will always get heat at 68. So try to precondition to a lower temp start driving and then bump up 5 degrees to see if that gives you heat in auto mode. Maybe a temp unit in the front seat to see if cabin temp changes as a control. Good luck

Long shot here but, did you try rebooting the car?

My December 2016 S75D heat system is horrible in general (especially with heat in the foot area (or lack thereof) and auto fan control) but I never experienced the issue the OP mentions.

My heat doesn’t work unless I have the setting on “HI” (which is over 81 degrees). Then it blows a lot of very hot air. I moved the temp down to 78 degrees and get cool air! I’ve brought the car in, again, for this issue and just got it back with no solution “the diagnostics on the car are all fine”. Has anyone else had any issues with the heat?

So I have cold air, cooler air, and extremely hot air! This is very upsetting for an expensive car and such a seemingly minor issue.
Your car is broken. This is NOT normal. Tell the service center to do their damn job and dismantle the car until they figure out what's wrong.

It could be a software problem, in which case you're kind of screwed, since Tesla software is an impenetrable black box and the software team only creates bugs, they never fix bugs. More likely, and hopefully, it's hardware. (I'm guessing a bad sensor.)

Thanks for everyone’s feedback. I do not have range mode on. To add to my issue: when I “turned the car on”using the Tesla App and put the interior climate to 74 degrees ( it was 48 degrees - I live in NJ) the car was 74 when I got into the car. So the heat worked upon turning it on, albeit remotely. So now it seems the heat doesn’t work properly when I am driving the car and altering the temperature.

Do you have V9?

I have had my 2016 refresh S75D for 2 1/2 years and 40k miles now. My biggest complaint has been cold feet. I turn the heat fan up and open windows just to warm my toes.
I bought the orange one first. Then I fabbed my own and works way better. Im not sure why the person who is selling these designed it so small. Mine directs way more air than the smaller one. Now I can feel a little more air flowing over my feet. Way better. Before I mass produce this anyone interested in trying one lol?

I have a theory on this issue and haven't tested it yet. When the heat is set to Hi, I'm assuming the heater is blowing all-out to produce as much warm air as it can. If the temperature is then adjusted down a few degrees, the heating system's temperature gauge may have a reading much higher--say it's reading an 85 degree air temperature while the setting has been adjusted down to 78 degrees. As a result, the system assumes it needs to introduce cooler air until lowering the sensed temperature to the 78 degree setting at which time it will maintain the 78 degree setting. Is this a possibility?

Reactions: GWord
I bought the orange one first. Then I fabbed my own and works way better. Im not sure why the person who is selling these designed it so small. Mine directs way more air than the smaller one. Now I can feel a little more air flowing over my feet. Way better. Before I mass produce this anyone interested in trying one lol?
Yes, if you have one the fits a pre-refresh S.

If it fits pre-refreshed S, i am very interested

I have a theory on this issue and haven't tested it yet. When the heat is set to Hi, I'm assuming the heater is blowing all-out to produce as much warm air as it can. If the temperature is then adjusted down a few degrees, the heating system's temperature gauge may have a reading much higher--say it's reading an 85 degree air temperature while the setting has been adjusted down to 78 degrees. As a result, the system assumes it needs to introduce cooler air until lowering the sensed temperature to the 78 degree setting at which time it will maintain the 78 degree setting. Is this a possibility?

Bumping this topic.

I'm experiencing the same issue as OP but I'm noticing it more and more lately.

When I set to High, it blows all-out to produce as much warmth as possible, as you mention, but when you set the temperature down to a few degrees lower, it automatically produces cooler air. For example, @ 79 degrees, for example, down from HI, it should still be blowing sufficient warmer air but I feel cooler air. I think it's blowing cooler air to try to lower the cabin temperature to 79 degrees, down from "HI" and then maintaining the cabin at 79 degrees that is set, blowing either warmer air or cooler air. Keep in mind the "Auto" isn't on and I can expect this to happen if the automatic climate control is on, but it's off. I expect that if I lower the temp from HI to 79, I would still get slightly warmer air, but I feel cooler air, and then I would have to bump it up to HI again to get warmer air.

Anyhow, I'll bring this up on my next SC appointment.

Bumping this topic.

I'm experiencing the same issue as OP but I'm noticing it more and more lately.

When I set to High, it blows all-out to produce as much warmth as possible, as you mention, but when you set the temperature down to a few degrees lower, it automatically produces cooler air. For example, @ 79 degrees, for example, down from HI, it should still be blowing sufficient warmer air but I feel cooler air. I think it's blowing cooler air to try to lower the cabin temperature to 79 degrees, down from "HI" and then maintaining the cabin at 79 degrees that is set, blowing either warmer air or cooler air. Keep in mind the "Auto" isn't on and I can expect this to happen if the automatic climate control is on, but it's off. I expect that if I lower the temp from HI to 79, I would still get slightly warmer air, but I feel cooler air, and then I would have to bump it up to HI again to get warmer air.

Anyhow, I'll bring this up on my next SC appointment.

That's exactly how mine behaves. Please let me know what the SC says.

Reactions: jvl007
My June 18' S100D does exactly the same. I'm not the type who gets cold easily, yet I'm constantly cold in the car unless I turn the heating way up (26C / 79F). In every other car I've owned or been in 21C / 70F is sufficient. At that high temperature the car gets too hot pretty quickly so I have to turn it down a few degrees. Result; cold air almost immediately so I'm cold again. I tried getting it up to 26C / 79F then switching the HVAC system off. Result; car gets cold in well under 5 minutes so I have to switch it on again. Even the drivers door card and metal handle are really cold.

So far its been into the SC twice. Once they claimed it was due to Range Mode being active. I switched if off and the problem was still there. I took it back to the SC and they said its 'normal', but we've put a bit of insulation into the door so that should help. The problem remains!