Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So frustrating! Or am I being entitled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder how long before the likes of The Daily Fail pick up on there being no electric charge points in the Parent and Child or Disabled spaces o_O

There's a leisure park near me that has done it in an interesting way. They have a tonne of disabled spaces, and they all have EV chargers attached.

So, if you park in there and your not charging your car, then your parked in a disabled spot and WILL get a ticket for it.

But of course, this area has seemingly endless amounts of blue badge holders so I'm not sure how I'd feel if I could never get on a charger because all the spaces are full of disabled peeps....

Just thankful I have a driveway, Can't imagine having to rely on outside chargers all the time.

There's a leisure park near me that has done it in an interesting way. They have a tonne of disabled spaces, and they all have EV chargers attached.

So, if you park in there and your not charging your car, then your parked in a disabled spot and WILL get a ticket for it.

But of course, this area has seemingly endless amounts of blue badge holders so I'm not sure how I'd feel if I could never get on a charger because all the spaces are full of disabled peeps....

Just thankful I have a driveway, Can't imagine having to rely on outside chargers all the time.
Well, on the one hand you can’t help but applaud the approach as a simple way of policing the spaces. On the other hand, in five years time it may progress into a battle royale…
one thing is certain; you’re bound to find a big diesel kiddy carrier in one of the spaces!

My local Tesco has been all clear or only EV vehicles in there every time I've been in there.

I'd print out some notes for just this situation and stick one under their wipers.

"This is not an electric vehicle. Please stop being inconsiderate and lazy and keep these spaces free for those of us that need them. Thank you."

It really should be made an offence just the same as parking in disabled bays. Tow or fine applicable if reported to the police. Would be an easy way for the government to claw some of that money back they're losing on EVs.

Or make a note of their reg and check online that it's taxed/mot'd. If not, report them!

You're right. It's annoying. Often I'm tempted to summon the Tesla as close to the drivers door as possible and connect to the charger.

Or get the longer charge cable and park behind blocking the car whilst charging.

Of course it's never worth the fight.

I struggle to see why people get so het up about this. The impression you send to the rest of the world that even a trip to Tescos means you need to plug in and charge is not a good message. Disabled spaces are needed every time if you're disabled, so that is different. Virtually nobody should need to charge on a supermarket trip.

I'm NOT saying I condone people parking ICEing the bays, I don't, but they're either doing it deliberately to get a rise, in which case they have won if you get wound up, or they're ignorant to what they have done and a polite verbal conversation if you see them should be all it takes.

There’s a dedicated Twitter account for these. You should forward on to. I’ve been ICEd

Definitely a Tesco thing:

And there’s the classic - You’ve parked like a C***:

25 for £8

Tesco Extra Salisbury:
4 EV charging points close to the door and usually no ICE cars in them.
Today 4 EVs, charging away after I'd hooked up. One had a guy in it sleeping, but the car was charging. I'm not that bothered about free electricity.... but I always hook up.

I'm certain that as EVs become more common Charging away from home wil get more and more tedious, which is why many will keep one ICE car.

I struggle to see why people get so het up about this. The impression you send to the rest of the world that even a trip to Tescos means you need to plug in and charge is not a good message. Disabled spaces are needed every time if you're disabled, so that is different. Virtually nobody should need to charge on a supermarket trip.

I'm NOT saying I condone people parking ICEing the bays, I don't, but they're either doing it deliberately to get a rise, in which case they have won if you get wound up, or they're ignorant to what they have done and a polite verbal conversation if you see them should be all it takes.
I get where you're coming from, but the idea of these chargers is to top up while shopping - making it more convienent and favorable to ones without. Since getting an EV I noticed the general mantra was to Always Be Charging. Now although I don't need to charge, it's nice to have an extra 10% rather than it just sitting there consuming electrons with sentry on (watching out for dinks). Dont get me wrong for any trips where I need a charge, I'd stop at a SuC, not at a 7kw chargepoint which I have at home anyway. There might however be an EV owner who doesnt have a drive/ charging infrasrtucure at home and rely on these chargers more than others.

I might just go to my local tesco with feul pumps and park on the pump while shopping...

I also can totally see where your coming from but its just the principle of the thing. Its the same stopping for petrol and finding the car infront blocking the pumps has gone in to do their monthly shop, instead of just politely pulling into one of the MANY empty parking bays infront of the shop.

Personally, yeah I don't NEED to charge, but when I do my days shopping trips, I generally use about 10%.

I can get that out of the Tesco charger.

So in my mind, my trip has cost me nothing.

I know we are talking pennies in the grand scheme, but they have been put there FOR electric car owners, so why shouldn't we be able to use them.

I think we as humans are just generally selfish. I delivered to a petrol station yesterday evening, had frozen food onboard. There was a good 10 parking spaces empty all along the back wall, all the pumps were empty and the spaces at the front of the store were clear too.

This guy with his pickup parked on the ONLY hatched area on the entire site, which wasn't even close to the entrance, which meant I couldn't get in and had to wait for him to come wandering out. I mean....why? Why there of all places?

Just went to my local Tesco to get some shopping, as per normal I headed for the chargers because, hey its free and if I walk out of there with an extra 5-10% charge then the trip has basically cost me nothing.

But, as per bloody usual, I couldn't get on them.

4 chargers, only 1 car that could even have plugged in - but wasn't.

I waited about 10 minutes because i'm stubborn and eventually a young couple strolled out and got in their orange fiesta and casually mooched off so I dived in the spot.

When I left, the Tesla and the car to the right had both left, and been replaced with another 2 vehicles, both ICE.

I mean, these spaces are not even that close to the doors! What the hell. Its so annoying...

/rant
It's annoying, and rather selfish of others. Next time you see someone get into an ICE car in that situation, just ask them not to block the chargers next time, make you say something like "You probably didn't realize but...". That way you can guilt trip them without making them mad at you.

My local Tesco has been all clear or only EV vehicles in there every time I've been in there.

I'd print out some notes for just this situation and stick one under their wipers.

"This is not an electric vehicle. Please stop being inconsiderate and lazy and keep these spaces free for those of us that need them. Thank you."

It really should be made an offence just the same as parking in disabled bays. Tow or fine applicable if reported to the police. Would be an easy way for the government to claw some of that money back they're losing on EVs.

Or make a note of their reg and check online that it's taxed/mot'd. If not, report them!
I printed a bunch of attached notices that I keep in my car for such occasions. I placed a few already and they did work (at least on one offender in my local Tesco who has stopped parking his Mazda in the charging bays). I guess he got the message that the notice under windscreen wiper can be just the last warning.

Attachments

• ev-owners-printable-fealey-co-uk.jpg
    ev-owners-printable-fealey-co-uk.jpg
    468.2 KB · Views: 45
  • tesla-supercharger-note-v2.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 75
  • Violation.pdf
    163.7 KB · Views: 56
If I see the driver, I casually ask them if they are going to charge their car / are finished charging. Typically this is sufficient for them to say No and remove their car.

I like the idea of notes, but would wish for them to be a bit more friendly. It's not us vs them / ev vs ice. It's simply that we can afford to drive an EV already and they will follow when they can.