Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So glad RHD model 3 won't be until 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this gives time for the idiots at HK gov to reverse their FRT decision
Why would they do that ? They achieved what they wanted. Less new cars are registered which will reduce congestion. Their take is that the FRT exception regulated in more cars on hk streets.

Also for model 3 the FRT advantage is still 100k which probably covers a good portion for a lower priced car.

Probably not much chance of the FRT being waved again. We also shouldn't be too surprised if they eventually take the $97.5K incentive away too....especially close to Model 3 order or delivery time.

The Lobbyists are really trying their best to kill Tesla in Hong Kong...and the Government puppets are just going along with it.

Why would they do that ? They achieved what they wanted. Less new cars are registered which will reduce congestion.

Except the figures don't show that. Sure, EV registrations are down, but ICE registrations are up. Total registrations still increasing each month, so more and more cars hit ours steets (just dirtier ones).

Last edited:
Why would they do that ? They achieved what they wanted. Less new cars are registered which will reduce congestion. Their take is that the FRT exception regulated in more cars on hk streets.

those who're planning to buy a car will buy one anyway, just that you'll end up going ICE rather than EV. If road congestion and air pollution are the two main issues the government's REALLY trying to tackle, they'd waive the FRT exemption for EV (so they do tax you for buying EV), and UP the FRT for ICE so it's even heavier. the point is to maintain a tax parity between the two.

and saying the government is just subsidising people to buy teslas isn't fair. the gov has been subsidsing oil and ICE in hong kong for decades

Tax waiver isn't subsidy.

Waiver is, for example Hong Kong and Tesla, not taxing a product that has no market without it, and therefore no tax can be earned by the government anyway.

Subsidy is taking tax payers money to sponsor a purchase and that money eventually goes to the manufacturer, not the government.

When government officials use the words "subsidy" and "tax payers' money" on EV FRT waiver, it means they are basically A-holes, morons or both.

Tax waiver isn't subsidy.

Waiver is, for example Hong Kong and Tesla, not taxing a product that has no market without it, and therefore no tax can be earned by the government anyway.

Subsidy is taking tax payers money to sponsor a purchase and that money eventually goes to the manufacturer, not the government.

When government officials use the words "subsidy" and "tax payers' money" on EV FRT waiver, it means they are basically A-holes, morons or both.

The forum is not intended as a battleground for "class" warfare and I don't bit&(&T and moan about my tax money goes to SUBSIDISE long hair's public housing flat. That is an example of SUBSIDY by the tax payers.

Before those parliamentarians engage in a debate on the subject, they should understand the meaning of "subsidy" (and how much tax they pay).

Also for model 3 the FRT advantage is still 100k which probably covers a good portion for a lower priced car.
less new cars? Last read TOTAL new registration of cars (ICE inc) went up.

that case was rubbished by the judges.

longhair aside the total EV FRT "losses" is far less than the 3 BS bridges to china (SZ Bay, the one to Macau, and the one at Fan Leng).

That's a fundamental difference, white elephants these infrastructure projects may be (though I'm hesitant to rush into a conclusion), money is being spent and invested into the real economy. For example, they created numerous construction workers opportunities, and those people toiled to make an honest living and support their families. For which I've tones of respect for and being a manual labor myself.

Unlike long hair lining up his own pocket for a selfish motive.

Reactions: icemankaka
That's a fundamental difference, white elephants these infrastructure projects may be (though I'm hesitant to rush into a conclusion), money is being spent and invested into the real economy. For example, they created numerous construction workers opportunities, and those people toiled to make an honest living and support their families. For which I've tones of respect for and being a manual labor myself.

Unlike long hair lining up his own pocket for a selfish motive.
Once he is out of job (ie, now) he'll be ok with keeping his flat. he spends all his money in ciggies and court fees so he's still eligible for public housing anyways.

You're better off worrying about the other legislators are pocketing money using their conflict of interest with the developers and so-called "NGO".

The SZ Bay bridge had been there for 10 years (Count the number of vehicles that uses it) and now we need 2 more land crossing to china? plus the HSR and the 3rd runway? How did all these people that they claim to be using the crossing crossed the boarder now (or more radically, in the past)? and only 3000 vehicles from HK can use the bridge to macau/zhuhai. WHAT???

I'm eager to see what pricing in other markets will be like.
I hope they're able to undercut traditional ICE once again and shake up the local market like they did the pre-FRT days.
Sadly i'm not optimistic. Think it'll start at around 400-450K and go to 600K for the P variant.

I think we can assume 7.8 HKD = 1 USD, plus perhaps HK$30,000 for transportation.

The numbers for a base US$35k car, with current FRT would be:

US$35,000 = HK$273,000
FRT:
40% of HK$150,000
75% of HK$123,000
= HK$152,250
FRT waiver capped at HK$97,500
So FRT to pay = 152,250-97,500 = HK$54,750
So total price = HK$273,000 + HK$54,750 = HK$327,750
(not including transportation charges, and assuming simple USD-HKD conversion)​

Anything above base, we're paying close to 100% tax on. Any accessory installed more than 6 months after first registration is tax free.