TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

So...has anyone dyno'ed a P3D yet?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by AlexanderAF, Sep 4, 2018.

1. AlexanderAF

AlexanderAF Member

I've searched the forums, YouTube, and r/TeslaMotors and I still have yet to see a dyno test for a Tesla Model 3 Performance. I'm very curious to see what actual whp versus rated horsepower is? Anyone?

If nothing, I got the call that they have a P3D+ on the way for me. I was thinking maybe I find a shop that can do and AWD dyno and make a YouTube video of it myself.

• Like x 1
  2. Shizzrock

Shizzrock Member

I'm still waiting for someone to test the braking or actually time it around a track.

3. Jedi2155

Jedi2155 Model 3 has Arrived.

I've heard of 1 owner who brought their P3D to a track. He documented it pretty well but I couldn't find the thread. Might be on the other forum as well.

4. thelastdeadmouse

I've considered taking mine to a tuning shop across the boarder, there's one that's about 23 miles from the nearest supercharger, so I could hypothetically get there with about 93% SOC. The reason I haven't is I've been concerned my P3D- won't have the traction to do a full dig without breaking traction on the rollers with the all seasons.

5. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Active Member

I'm trying to get some time in on a dyno, but my car has been occupied getting tint and ppf for the last week.

Plus, I think it's a bit steep for the only AWD dyno nearby, so I haven't been in too much of a hurry... If I do get a chance to get to the dyno, I'll definitely post results.

• Like x 2
  6. PhaseWhite

PhaseWhite Member

I would love to see some dyno results at above 90% SOC and for a bonus aero wheels vs 20" ;)

• Like x 1
  7. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Supporting Member

The wheels won't make any difference on the dyno, unless one or the other slips on the rollers more. Aerodynamics, weight and sidewall height don't affect power output.

8. PhaseWhite

PhaseWhite Member

9. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Active Member

AWD dynos aren't all that common/cheap.

I'm going to get mine to the dragstrip soon, hopefully in the next few weeks. The only negative is that there are zero charging options reasonably close to the strip (that I can find at least). I think best case I'll be able to run it at maybe 85%.

10. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Supporting Member

OK, 0.5 % difference or so. Not enough to be statistically significant. For the same diameter tire, same width, only an inch or two difference in the wheel, the weight won't be enough different to worry about. The aerodynamics of the wheel is what makes up the bulk of the range difference. HP and Torque differences are going to be down in the weeds.

11. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

I'm super surprised that we haven't seen a P3D on the track yet. At least nobody has documented it.

• Disagree x 1
  12. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

• Like x 2
  13. PhaseWhite

PhaseWhite Member

Bump.. (Still waiting on my P3D-) hoping a lucky soul who has one will be heading to the Dyno soon :cool:

14. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Active Member

#14 SD_Engnr, Sep 11, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    I'm tentatively scheduled for next Wednesday (still deciding if it's worth the $$). The dyno shop isn't sure if it will work, because they don't know if the front and rear motors ramp up at the same rate. I told them if they're willing to try, I'm willing to give it a shot.

Also need to plan to charge accordingly, since it's 40 miles from home. I can leave to work with a full charge in the morning, and then just show up with whatever is left. Might be close to 85% SOC if I take it easy.

• Like x 1
  15. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Active Member

It's tricky because I threw older cars on the dyno after I added modifications, that really isn't a thing with these.

16. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Active Member

Yeah, that was part of my hold up, but I'm going forward with it for informational purposes. If Track mode or Ludicrous ever get released, I guess there would be some point to go back and test again. (Not that track mode would make a difference, but Ludicrous would).

Also, there's bound to be debate regarding whether or not it was done correctly, the type of dyno used etc etc. I'm just going to go with it, take some video, and report back to the forums.

• Like x 3
  17. PhaseWhite

PhaseWhite Member

Maybe @Mysterylectric or someone else who’s posted results could offer some advice? I believe the car’s traction control might need to be disabled for best results?

• Informative x 1
  18. NathanielHrnblwr

Where at? I didn't know anyone in the area had a dyne for AWD.

19. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

HG Motorsport has ..they just moved to San Marcos

20. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Active Member

I was told HG had a dyno, but when I contacted them, they said they sold it to Delicious Tuning in Vista. I'm reserving time with them next Wednesday afternoon.

• Informative x 1