Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So...has anyone dyno'ed a P3D yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm tentatively scheduled for next Wednesday (still deciding if it's worth the $$). The dyno shop isn't sure if it will work, because they don't know if the front and rear motors ramp up at the same rate. I told them if they're willing to try, I'm willing to give it a shot.

Also need to plan to charge accordingly, since it's 40 miles from home. I can leave to work with a full charge in the morning, and then just show up with whatever is left. Might be close to 85% SOC if I take it easy.

@SD_Engnr Did you get it on the dyno, any updates?

This guy has a youtube but for some reason didn't post the plot

His video description says 371whp, unknown torque. Well that doesn't sound right.... The RWD has put down over 320whp on multiple dynos. That would also imply the front motor is only adding 50whp and the rear motor isn't making even a tiny bit more hp than the RWD.

My guess is the car's safety systems need to be disabled to do this properly.

Reactions: Cloxxki
Did this happen? If not, find a place with an AWD dyno that’s linked. We used a non linked dyno for the model S, but I know the gear ratios for both motors. I don’t know the gear ratio for the front motor, so your torque reading could be way off if it’s significantly different than the rear. Using a linked dyno, you really only need to supply one gear ratio input, and it will give a much more accurate torque reading, since the wheels will turn together. We pulled the ABS sensor on the front wheels to disable all the safety systems for the Model 3, as I don’t have a schematic to find the fuse for the same systems, like we do on the S and X. Once I have a bit of free time, we will be putting the Model 3 performance on a non linked dyno, and measuring front and rear force to try and calculate horsepower per motor, and hopefully I can get a gear ratio for the front, so we can get an accurate torque number as well.

We pulled the ABS sensor on the front wheels to disable all the safety systems for the Model 3, as I don’t have a schematic to find the fuse for the same systems, like we do on the S and X.

There are no fuses to pull on the Model 3, they are electronic "virtual" fuses.

hopefully I can get a gear ratio for the front, so we can get an accurate torque number as well.

The manual only lists 9:1 for the ratio, so either they didn't updated it for the AWD or they are the same.

No luck so far. I now have my P3D+, but in southern VA I could only find one linked AWD dyno and they declined to dyno it because of "the ride height sensors and all the electronics". I didn't want to get into how the Model 3 does not have the smart air suspension, hence no ride height sensors, etc., so I just politely said "oh, too bad..".

I'll be heading back to Alabama next week (military). I'm not sure my luck finding a linked AWD dyno there will be any better.

Rats, no linked Dynos in my area. After reading up on it I think an unlinked dyno would severely underreport the HP on these cars. The car will read the front and rear wheels as going different speeds and apply traction control to compensate.

summary spec from a French website, see LR AWD vs LR AWD performance, all hardware is onboard...
Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 6.48.05 PM.png

These numbers looks close enough of what to expect from a car with this weight and 0-60 numbers. Dino for AWD are touchy and operator dependent so I do not think that you will not get more accurate or trusty numbers for HP and torque.
What is interesting with this table, it shows that all rear motors are identical and running almost at full power, the less powerful front motors are identical as well on both configuration but software limited on the “none performance” AWD.
Looks like the battery is strong enough to deliver almost full power on both rear and front motor as seen on the performance model.

They really don't.
Look at the 0-60 for AWD vs P. 1 full second difference.
Now look at the HP numbers based on the EPA figures. There's only ~30 hp total difference.

There is ~110HP difference when both motor are combined, even the hardware is the same, the AWD is software limited and yes the 1s is explained by the ~110HP difference. These numbers make sense for car weight, HP and torque and EV (single gear).
Screen Shot 2018-11-02 at 4.19.31 PM.png

There is ~110HP difference when both motor are combined, even the hardware is the same, the AWD is software limited and yes the 1s is explained by the ~110HP difference. These numbers make sense for car weight, HP and torque and EV (single gear).View attachment 349394

The chart says the P is 211 kw rear, 147kw front and AWD is 188 front and 147 rear.

They then somehow say the totals are 340 and 258.

Which isn't how math works. 211 plus 147 is 358kw for the P. 188 plus 147 is 335kw for the AWD.

A difference of 23kw. Or 30.84 horsepower.

Someone was drunk when they made that chart.

You cannot add the front and the rear power to get the total HP. it does not work this way, it could be limited by many things including front and rear motor do not have the same characteristic, battery, software... You can read some other post in this forum that explain that in details.