TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

So has Tesla hit 200k US deliveries? Is the tax credit over in September or December?

Discussion in 'Tesla, Inc.' started by Anzir, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Anzir

Anzir Supporting Member

It looks like Tesla gave their numbers for deliveries in Q2. They were 10k less than expectations, which hit the stock price a little. But was that intentional to give prospective buyers until the end of the year to obtain delivery of their vehicle and still gain the full $7500 Fed Tax credit? I thought I would see articles about this by now but I haven't run across anything.

2. Petra

Petra Member

No official announcement has been made one way or the other.

3. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

With all the non-deliveries that went on (thousands of car were produced and stockpiled, etc.) everyone is assuming that means 200K is July, so full credit through end of 2018. But, yes, we don’t have an official declaration. Someone said the IRS needs to certify that number so perhaps paperwork is en route and we would hear soon.

4. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Probably me...

Tesla reports numbers to IRS before the end of the month after the end of the quarter. IRS sends acceptance within 30 days. To be on the safe side, Tesla may hold off on announcing anything until that process is finalized just to be sure Q2 was officially under 200k.

More info
    Internal Revenue Bulletin: 2009-48 | Internal Revenue Service

5. ab26

ab26 Member

So inside evs updated the sales number of Model S/X/3 for June. Based on that, it seems like we crossed 200k in June (which means credit ends September).

Wonder how accurate these numbers are. Inside evs have been accurate in the past but not sure about this month.

• Like x 1
  6. Anzir

Anzir Supporting Member

Makes me glad I put my order in. There will still be a $3750 credit for 2 quarters afterwards, but tax credits are golden since they can be used for any income bracket.

• Disagree x 1
  7. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

InsideEVs adjusts the 3rd month of a quarter so that their quarterly total matches Tesla's reported numbers.
    Tesla likely put a stop on sales at the end of June to delay 200k, insideEVs cannot model that based on the previous weeks/ months rate. They may also be underestimating Canadian sales.

General info:
    The quarter they cross 200k and the following quarter are both the full 7,500. Then 2 quarters of 1/2, then 2 quarters of 1/4.
    The credit is a non-refundable one. If your tax liability is less than the credit, your federal tax goes to zero, but that's it.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  8. Anzir

Anzir Supporting Member

Yes, so technically if Tesla passed 200k deliveries in June, the 7500 would be over in September. Given order turnaround on the S's and X's, it would still be feasible to get either before the end of September but Model 3's are in a predicament.

• Like x 1
  9. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Indeed!
    I threw the 'general info' on there to attempt to indicate I was not contradicting anything previously stated.

10. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

I went ahead and tweeted Elon asking when we'd get official confirmation. No telling if he'll reply but if you tweet feel free to ask the same or retweet my question.

My question on twitter

• Disagree x 1
  11. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Tesla cannot say it did not happen in Q2 until the IRS certifies that it did not happen in Q2 which can take up to 30 days after Tesla submits the Q2 number to the IRS.

• Helpful x 1
  12. Anzir

Anzir Supporting Member

Let's say it did pass 200k and it's not certified until mid Aug. That leaves 6 weeks which will not be enough time to deliver a new order unless it's a P100D.

• Like x 1
  13. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Don't forget, the $7,500 credit doesn't go to 0. It ramps down to a lesser amount each quarter.

14. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

... each 6 months.

• Like x 1
  15. Patrick0101

Patrick0101 Member

16. ab26

ab26 Member

The article is speculative about Tesla crossing $200k in July. Insideevs data point suggest that we crossed 200k in June by 7k. Only thing that would refute insideevs is if there are any errors in the accounting.

17. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Adding numbers is the easy part, knowing what the numbers to add are is hard...

Things that would refute InsideEVs:
    • If they underestimated Canada (seems likely given the reports from the Ontario threads)
    • If sales to government/ municipalities don't count toward the 200k (Tesla needs to report consumer sales, that may not include government units)
    • If sales made in the US specifically for export don't count (unsupported countries)
    The categorical offsets (if they exist) would apply for the whole time span from 2010 onward...

18. clove503

clove503 Member

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1