Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So how many actually want 100% autonomy (poll)

Do you want cars to go to complete 100% autonomous with no steering wheel or pedals

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By in between I mean you can still drive but a computer prevents crashes, moderates traffic when needed, or drives when you want it to. Something similar to my shadow modes idea for those who have seen me explain it.

I tend to keep my cars for a long time, so I want a car I can drive myself while I'm still capable (with safety features enabled when I choose). And when I'm at the point where I'm no longer able to drive safely, I would turn over operation to the autonomous system. Hopefully, I'll be able to recognize when I'm no longer a safe driver... or that a friend or family member would slap some sense into me if I'm in denial.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: alseTrick
The options aren't representative of reality, or at least they are phrased in a way to get people to vote one particular way. I think having vehicles with fully autonomous capabilities is not only a guarantee, but a necessity as we move forward. But I don't think that means we take away the ability of humans to drive. That's a ridiculously phrased option that shows the poll writer's bias.

Last edited:
The options aren't representative of reality, or at least phrased in a way to get people to vote one particular way. I think having vehicles with fully autonomous capabilities is not only a guarantee, but a necessity as we move forward. But I don't think that means we take away the ability of humans to drive. That's a ridiculously phrased option that shows the poll writer's bias.
How? I gave complete opposite options and one in the middle. It may sound bias to some but its getting straight to the point. How do we have autonomous capability and not take away the ability to drive? If your answer is what i think it is: choose option 3. If not whats your thoughts.

I don't think the options describe what I want, so I did not vote. I want a car capable of full autonomy so I can get some work done while going on the same long boring trip to help my Mother every week. But I want to be able to drive myself when I find myself on a lonely mountain highway (like I did today, oh man).

Maybe the third choice is meant to cover that case, but that is not how I read it.
That is literally option 3. Drive when you want, automaton when you don't.

That is literally option 3. Drive when you want, automaton when you don't.
Literally, it's not. Literally, it says "In between the two, I would like to still be able to drive but with the computer preventing crashes."

That's a far cry from "Full autonomy when I want, and self-drive when I want."

Literally, it's not. Literally, it says "In between the two, I would like to still be able to drive but with the computer preventing crashes."

That's a far cry from "Full autonomy when I want, and self-drive when I want."
You voted for the first one. Can you please explain how your earlier statement of "But I don't think that means we take away the ability of humans to drive' fits into that?

You voted for the first one. Can you please explain how your earlier statement of "But I don't think that means we take away the ability of humans to drive' fits into that?
It's the closest to that option. Your third option suggests we should have our hands on the wheel at all times and the car keeps us from having accidents. As you're seeing in the feedback, it's a poorly written poll. That's the explanation.

Reactions: SOLARUSA
I briefly considered voting but all the answers end up being a variant of "have you stopped beating your wife?"

I think full autonomy is desirable and probably inevitable, which is close to option 1, minus the soapbox. For the near-to-mid term future I'd probably choose to buy a vehicle with a steering wheel even if it could go full autonomous, which is what option 3 allegedly is but not what the plain text of option 3 says.

The options aren't representative of reality, or at least they are phrased in a way to get people to vote one particular way. I think having vehicles with fully autonomous capabilities is not only a guarantee, but a necessity as we move forward. But I don't think that means we take away the ability of humans to drive. That's a ridiculously phrased option that shows the poll writer's bias.
I am sure that sometime in the future, certain politicians will do everything they can to eliminate human driving. The do-gooders will not be able to resist pushing this. We will be paraded with all sorts of horror stories - typically involving children to convince the public they're no longer able to drive themselves.

The attempt to do this will happen.

Might take 15-25 years, but it will happen.

I am sure that sometime in the future, certain politicians will do everything they can to eliminate human driving. The do-gooders will not be able to resist pushing this. We will be paraded with all sorts of horror stories - typically involving children to convince the public they're no longer able to drive themselves.

The attempt to do this will happen.

Might take 15-25 years, but it will happen.
This is possible. I think it's arguable that vehicles will become so safety feature constrained that they are effectively autonomous anyway. So while you're arguing for a big one time push, I see it more as a feature by feature normalization. First it's automatic braking. Then collision avoidance, then keeping the car on the road, etc. not necessarily in that order, but you get the idea.

I don't have quite the negative impression of the "do-gooders" that you do, however. So I may be overly optimistic.

Reactions: larmor