Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So how much are you really saving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My electric bill hasn't shown any increase from last year (due to weather). However, based on the dash and adding a bit for vampire and charging efficiency it's cost about $175 for 6,300 miles.

Wow! Your Model S is almost free with that.

yep. that was one of the rationalization's I made to purchase a $100k car.

I'm surprised you didn't get a Prius or a Leaf earlier with those kind of economics?

I would never drive a prius (not my style..and IMO *VERY* ugly car). The leaf won't get me from my house to work which is about 110 miles (each way). I test drove a Volt and thought it was junk. I'd be driving on gas most of the time anyway. The fisker was originally a thought, but when price was announced I tossed that idea (good decision, lol). I had a Murano for a while until I got a rod knock which completely made the suv a dud and cost to fix was twice as much as KBB in working condition lol. was only getting 16/17mpg on that anyway. Tesla MS wasn't being sold yet at this point (Dec 2011). I ended up "rationalizing" the new range rover evoque, which looked very cool and "theoritically" is rated at 28mpg highway. I got 19mph highway. whoop de doo. bad decision (probably worst car/suv I've ever owned, evoque would randomly go into limp mode while your driving and disable the gas pedal...only way to reset was to pull over and stop and turn it off and on again). oh, and Evoque required premium fuel too. so was paying even more with the RR than I was with the murano. at this point the Model S was started to be delivered. so I dumped that RRevoque ASAP and bought the Tesla.

Or was it only recently that you had to start doing those kind of mileage?

Ehh yes and no. I drive a lot in general. I was putting on about 3500/month before, now I'm putting on about 5000/month in the MS. A lot of that is attributed to me driving literally EVERYWHERE with it. We don't even use our other SUV now (ford flex) when going places with the kids. A lot cheaper and nicer ride in the MS ;)

True, true, true, besides I love putting the camera on and watching the black lines appear from the tires as I drop the hammer, like a boat wake of rubber disappearing into the horizon. (quite roads needed). I spend close to the cost of just my oil changes on juice. Back tires are the only thing not so environmentally not friending about my my ride, but I do love my Michelin super sport tires. If only I could figure out how fast I can take corners?

The main way he is 'saving' money is charging $0.52 (this suggested number from the IRS is used widely) per mile driven to his company. And the actual cost to drive the Model S is about $0.10 per mile. So if he drives 2000 miles per month for his company (100 mile a day) he will 'save', rather net about, about $840 a month due to reimbursement.

If you use this number in your calculations the $0.52 per mile includes fuel, so you can't double dip fuel savings on your company miles.

My costs are going to be way more than that....

My electricity costs come out to about 1.5 cents/mi.

But. Tires are about $1250 a set installed. (21" Conti). I expect no more than 15K miles out of a set with rotation. That's another 8.3 cents/mile.

I going to have the car maintained. $1900 for 50K miles. Another 3.8 cents/mile.

Now let's talk about depreciation. If it depreciates 85% over 200K miles ( which would be remarkable retained value compared to most cars) - that works out to about $90K over 200K miles. Another $0.45/mile.

Add insurance to that and registration. At best I can come in around $0.65/mile. Obviously, if you have a 60KWh with 19" tires, you will do better - but not 6X better.