Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So How Much Does It Cost? (my most hated question)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tailor my answer to the audience. If the asker is a stranger and starts out with cost, I'll deflect a bit and say "similar to a mid-range BMW" or "starts around 70k"... and sometimes I'll add "but I didn't buy it purely for economic reasons" ...with a big Tesla grin.

If it's someone's 10th question and they seem even vaguely interested, and/or it's someone I know reasonably well, I'm willing to dive into a bit more detail.

I normally say about the same as a 5 series, which is really not a lie since a M5 (which compares to a P85+ from a performance standpoint) is in the same range, much as a more mundane version with the common options most owners buy on Bimmers would come to around a comparable 60.

The one exception I have made to that so far was to a kid that was working at the drive through at the local Chick Fil A. He asked how much it cost while he was handing me my change for some reason I just said, "You would have to ask her" (nodding to my wife). "She surprised me with it". It wasn't true and I am not quite sure why I said it...

Sure was a lot easier to answer when the 40 stripper started at 50. I'd just say starts around 50 and goes up from there - and most nodded at the good value. Now I just say they're pretty expensive, but I really enjoy mine!

If they press me I point out that I can outrun an M5 and I only spend a few dollars a day on electricity. That usually perks them up.

Sure was a lot easier to answer when the 40 stripper started at 50. I'd just say starts around 50 and goes up from there - and most nodded at the good value. Now I just say they're pretty expensive, but I really enjoy mine!

If they press me I point out that I can outrun an M5 and I only spend a few dollars a day on electricity. That usually perks them up.

I've learned to answer the question directly. I state roughly what my car cost and what that included and then follow up with the range buyers pay.

"starts at 70"
And if they look like they haven't glazed over yet but 70's out of their comfort zone, I'll explain the Tesla business plan (3 generations: admit this is new technology which always starts at high cost like when the PC first came out and then 1. low volume high cost, 2. mid volume mid cost, 3. high volume low cost) to them and that usually works well.

- - - Updated - - -

I find it best to gauge the interest of the person and have a measured response -- are they just asking (small talk), are they thinking they're in the market for a new car, or are they deeply interested?

I tell them the base price ($70K). And I also mention the $7.5K Federal Tax Credit (Model S base price is $62.5K after Credit). Just like any other car, the selected options will increase the overall price. But even after the Tax Credit, it still costs twice as much as the average middle class household spends for a new car. So I also usually mention the fuel savings ($2K - $2.5K per year), and finally, I conclude the discussion by mentioning the Supercharger network and the value it represents for road trips. I don't typically mention maintenance savings, because people know that all new cars have a 3 or 4 year warranty except for their perceived "inexpensive" routine maintenance.

I know some don't feel uncomfortable with using a dollar figure upon being asked that, but I also know that at least some others feel as awkward as I do when this comes up.

I've taken to saying "About the same as a Mercedes S-class, Audi A-class, or a comparable BMW". But I know that's not only a goofy answer but quite misleading, and wouldn't work with someone who knows more about Mercs, Audis or Bimmers than I do, which is just about everyone (to say the least, which S-Class, A- or 5/7 series?).

So a little help here, please:

I'd like to continue that answer, but with which of those marques is, say, my P85 most comparable in price? And most comparable in class?

Thanks!

Very similar in price and performance to the BMW M5 (the P85 is a little cheaper depending on how you spec the M5 though)

When I eventually bring a Model S home (its when, not if at this point) I am also dreading this question. In reality, I don't even like it when it is asked about my Volt, as with it's 45k sticker price, it was already more expensive that anything that anyone else in my social circle drives (at least up until one of my friends bought a Lotus Elise Sport).

My plan for explaining the price of the Model S is to simply say "it starts a little over 60 after tax credits". Since my current plan is to buy a completely stripped inventory 60 if one becomes available, I might even be able to add "but I managed to snag a demo for a bit less than that" :)

Ditto.

My response is ~$70k to start, ~$10k in credits and I'll save ~$40k in fuel over 150k miles of useful life when compared to the SUV I was driving - makes it a ~$20k car!!!

Now mine on the other hand is a Sig P85...

;-)

When I eventually bring a Model S home (its when, not if at this point) I am also dreading this question. In reality, I don't even like it when it is asked about my Volt, as with it's 45k sticker price, it was already more expensive that anything that anyone else in my social circle drives (at least up until one of my friends bought a Lotus Elise Sport).

My plan for explaining the price of the Model S is to simply say "it starts a little over 60 after tax credits". Since my current plan is to buy a completely stripped inventory 60 if one becomes available, I might even be able to add "but I managed to snag a demo for a bit less than that" :)

With a Volt, it is clearly a premium over ICE version of same car, so you have to launch into EV details to rationalize.
With MS, IMHO, it is priced equivalent to or better than competing ICE models from other marques, so you almost never need to get into EV cost savings.
However, if you are interacting with people to whom 100k+/-20% is an outrageous auto expenditure, then there's always going to be a stigma, whether it's a Tesla or an MB AMG.

Yup. To some people a 100K car is ridiculous to them, regardless of what kind of car it is. It doesn't how you justify it to them, be it the technology, the TCO, etc etc.

I completely agree. Up until Tesla, I was one of those people. If I was going to be buying an ICE vehicle, I would be shopping for a Sonata or Fusion, not a 5 series or Jag. Now that I am a convert, I fully plan to simply not let those people make me feel guilty about buying my dream car :)