Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So how much power does a P100D have WITHOUT launch mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
Note sure if I actually believe this article:

Tesla’s latest update only allows performance vehicles to reach max power on ‘Launch Mode’

Given that the battery counter crap only applied to P90DL V2/V3 cars and not the P100D or earlier Ludicrous cars that were already only 1500 amps.

So does this change apply to the P100D? How many amps will the P100D pull without launch mode? The config file had it at 1762 amps at launch and it was making about 575KW.

Has this changed if you don't use launch mode?

The 575 kw is for the easter egg mode which draws 1850 amps. That's 1850 amps divided by 86 cell in parallel or 21.5 amps per cell. Without easter egg mode the P100DL draws 1760 amps from 86 cells in parallel or 20.5 amps per cell. That's about 560 kw.

The P90DLv3 draws 1620 amps from 74 cell in parallel or 21.8 amps per cell. Limited to 1520 amps, the P90DL draws 20.5 amps per cell.

So the non easter egg mode of the P100DL stresses the cells like the 1520 amp limited mode of the P90DL v3.
Easter egg mode is the same level of stress on the cells as the unlimited 1620 amps of a P90DL v3

Note sure if I actually believe this article:

Tesla’s latest update only allows performance vehicles to reach max power on ‘Launch Mode’

Given that the battery counter crap only applied to P90DL V2/V3 cars and not the P100D or earlier Ludicrous cars that were already only 1500 amps.

So does this change apply to the P100D? How many amps will the P100D pull without launch mode? The config file had it at 1762 amps at launch and it was making about 575KW.

Has this changed if you don't use launch mode?

The 575 kw is for the easter egg mode which draws 1850 amps. That's 1850 amps divided by 86 cell in parallel or 21.5 amps per cell. Without easter egg mode the P100DL draws 1760 amps from 86 cells in parallel or 20.5 amps per cell. That's about 560 kw.

The P90DLv3 draws 1620 amps from 74 cell in parallel or 21.8 amps per cell. Limited to 1520 amps, the P90DL draws 20.5 amps per cell.

So the non easter egg mode of the P100DL stresses the cells like the 1520 amp limited mode of the P90DL v3.
Easter egg mode is the same level of stress on the cells as the unlimited 1620 amps of a P90DL v3

The config for the 1600 amp battery in Ludicrous:

<entry key="75">
<dict>
<entry key="value"><str>S4_75</str></entry>
<entry key="packType"><str>S4</str></entry>
<entry key="maxCurrent"><int>1600</int></entry>
<entry key="performanceAddOn"><str>Ludicrous</str></entry>
<entry key="capacity"><int>90</int></entry>
</dict>
</entry>

The 1500 amp is really 1516:

<entry key="71">
<dict>
<entry key="value"><str>S4_71</str></entry>
<entry key="maxCurrent"><int>1516</int></entry>
</dict>
</entry>

If you're seeing 1620, then it must be a temporary overshoot.

The 85 Ludicrous is also 1516:

<entry key="64">
<dict>
<entry key="value"><str>S3_64</str></entry>
<entry key="packType"><str>S3</str></entry>
<entry key="capacity"><int>85</int></entry>
</dict>
</entry>

• Informative
Reactions: spottyq

<entry key="75">
<dict>
</dict>
</entry>

<entry key="71">
<dict>
</dict>
</entry>

<entry key="64">
<dict>
</dict>
</entry>
Yeah, with the recent firmware I'm only seeing about 1605 amps max, but I used to get about 1620 amps. My max power is now about 1% less too.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Snerruc
I think you are limited with Ludicrous+. I leave Ludicrous enabled 99% of the time and to be honest, the + is a great party trick to show off the car. Otherwise, degradation should not be an issue providing your charging schedule is consistent.

I think you are limited with Ludicrous+. I leave Ludicrous enabled 99% of the time and to be honest, the + is a great party trick to show off the car. Otherwise, degradation should not be an issue providing your charging schedule is consistent.
Sorry, I meant Ludicrious mode enabled with the max battery power on. It usually takes about 45-60min after the max battery power is turned on to have it ready. I usually turn the max battery power on in the morning while my car is still plugged in so I don't lose any range. Once its ready, I keep it on all day so I'm getting max performance. I just don't know if it would cause any battery degradation since its heated above its usual capacity.

Max battery will keep the battery at 50C, which particularly at high charge levels will defiantly cause increased degradation.
Thats not the answer I wanted to hear. Whats the point of using the max battery power feature in the car if its going cause increased degradation. I've already seen my range decrease from 452km to 448km at 90% SOC in 1 month (I picked up the vehicle on Mar 2, 2018). I don't know if its temporary due to the cold weather or permanent because I'm driving with a Max battery. This is very concerning.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
Thats not the answer I wanted to hear. Whats the point of using the max battery power feature in the car if its going cause increased degradation. I've already seen my range decrease from 452km to 448km at 90% SOC in 1 month (I picked up the vehicle on Mar 2, 2018). I don't know if its temporary due to the cold weather or permanent because I'm driving with a Max battery. This is very concerning.

Well heat is the enemy of battery life but there is no warning about this when turning it on. And they have multiple warnings.

As for your range, sometimes I'll get a variation of 2 miles on a 80% charge so it's similar to yours. I wouldn't say that is degradation.

In the “cold” months, I use max battery to preheat to 80F (can bus) on AC power before I leave the house every day, as 80F yields 508kW battery output power and 450kW (~600hp) combined mechanical output power (all can bus) at least down to 80% SOC. If it just charged in the garage then max bat heating isn’t necessary. When I leave work on a cool day, I flip on max battery in the first few minutes of driving to meet my selected temperature ( and power capability threshold). There’s no point to have it if it can’t deliver that level of power. For the very rare VBOX-instrumented test, I’ll go full Ludicrous+ with battery preheated to 122F (50C) to get the full 680hp (SAE rated) combined mechanical output power.

• Helpful
Reactions: dgentsch

<entry key="75">
<dict>
</dict>
</entry>

<entry key="71">
<dict>
</dict>
</entry>

<entry key="64">
<dict>
</dict>
</entry>
Where did this data come from or where might I find data like it?
I'd like to know what "entry key" IDs belong to what values for other batteries and even other modules.

Reactions: aerodyne