Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So, I Broder-ed my car this weekend...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been concerned over the number of posts along the lines of 'oh hey! you have at least 20 more miles after the battery says it's out'. People need to NOT count on that.
Given in this case, it only went 5km after 0, it's definitely not dependable. Other reviewers have been able to go further than that.

The rated range was still above the target but we noticed that the trip meter average energy usage was quite a bit different than the 50km projection average usage so we started to get frustrated & distrust all the numbers being shown.
Were you looking at "rated range" (number under the speedometer) or "projected range" (number on the energy screen)? The "rated range" number is not dependable because it does not vary with conditions, while the "projected range" does. Like others have said, Tesla really should make the projected range number available on the speedometer display.

The other predictive stuff people are suggesting would be nice, but having the projected range on the dash is already a good first step.

Were you looking at "rated range" (number under the speedometer) or "projected range" (number on the energy screen)? The "rated range" number is not dependable because it does not vary with conditions, while the "projected range" does. Like others have said, Tesla really should make the projected range number available on the speedometer display.

The other predictive stuff people are suggesting would be nice, but having the projected range on the dash is already a good first step.

Actually, both numbers are very useful. Rated Range gives a very good indication of how much juice you have in the pack. Projected gives a good indication of how far you'll get, but I only ever look at it when I'm doing a road trip.

Also it is quite possible to drive at Rated. Just adjust your speed as required. It gives you a good indication of what is possible with due care.

(I've actually achieved Rated driving on the 401 at 107 kph and -15C... by drafting a truck.)

Ok so why would Spurkey only get about 3 miles past zero when others (Broder) have gone further? I find this information very important if I should every find myself cutting it too close. Would I stop immediately at the nearest 110 outlet when range approached zero or would I drive a few miles to reach a better/faster charging point. There's a big difference between 3 miles of "reserve" and 19-20.

I think you should expect ZERO range below 0. If you get more consider yourself very lucky.

I seem to recall that the chemistry Tesla is using tends to lose a bit of capacity early on, then settles down for a long life. It's possible that Tesla is hiding a little extra range at the bottom during this early period. This could mean that a brand-new car might have 20 km extra range, but a six month old car might have little to none.

Ok so why would Spurkey only get about 3 miles past zero when others (Broder) have gone further? I find this information very important if I should every find myself cutting it too close. Would I stop immediately at the nearest 110 outlet when range approached zero or would I drive a few miles to reach a better/faster charging point. There's a big difference between 3 miles of "reserve" and 19-20.

You not only expect zero when it says zero, you expect LESS than zero. You stop and plug in earlier & get enough range to get to a spot to charge with higher amperage. Any other approach and you're going to find yourself stranded some rainy starless night, with no outlet around, out of cell phone range, and no one driving by to help. That would be no fun. :)

Seriously. Taking it to zero is just foolish.

Put both exterior and interior temperature at 30 °F and calculate. Now change both exterior and interior temperature to 70 °F and calculate. Do you see a difference in energy use?
Good catch, I see no change using those numbers. Now that I've thought about it, I wonder how it calculates the energy required for cabin heating - how well does the calculator estimate how much cabin heat the car loses over the trip, thus approximating how many times/how much energy the cabin heater expends correcting the temperature delta between the exterior & the interior.

2. If that is unattainable, display a range that is at best realistic, and often pessimistic. I recommend 2/3 of EPA range, which would have been 256km in your case and clearly indicated that you could not make the trip.

Chad, I've suggested to Tesla that in addition to Ideal and Rated, there should be a third "Sport" mileage projection that would do exactly this, based on perhaps 375 Wh/mi. I'm constantly subtracting 20% in my head to figure out my "actual" range, and it would be lovely to have a mode (perhaps even user-settable to any specific Wh/mi) to automate this. 375 Wh/mi would be the perfect setting for me, but YMMV :cool:

I posted about the need for a comprehensive, integrated trip planner/monitor app in another thread yesterday.

How to use the Energy Consumption for range projection - Page 2

This has been discussed before, but I think it needs to be kept at the top of everyone's mind. We've had the analogous capability in sailplanes for a couple of decades, and that's a tiny market compared with EVs.

I agree that "zero" range should equal zero miles remaining but remember most (?all) ICE vehicles have significant remaining range when the low fuel warining light comes on. My current ICE actually has a range estimator that goes to zero miles remaining despite about 2 gallons left in the tank. I've always found this degree of inaccuracy annoying (though I guess understandable from the manufacturer's point of view). My only concern is many ICE drivers have become accustomed to this reserve tank buffer and might assume the Model S is similar.