Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So I decided to get a Tow Hitch...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When we first ordered our Y a year ago we had added a hitch to it. We ended up switching to existing inventory and the vehicle we got did not have a hitch on it. It wasnt something we needed immediately and knew we could add it later.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, its time to get one, summer is approaching! Order it, get it installed and come home. Tesla conveniently left the cover in the trunk, since nothing is in there right now I decide to cover it up. Now I've heard stories of people having trouble getting the cover off, but what do those ppl know? I had a chance to look at it before it went back on the car so I "know" how to take it off...

Me 15min later (see pic):
20220509_163240.jpg

LOL...

(I ended up cutting 1/2 the tabs off to make it easier to take on and off) No complaints really, just a laugh. I'm probably going to buy an extra cover (I think they're $15) just in case I break this one or feel like modifying it more.

Congrats on your mode Y supporting a hitch! I have it on my car and thought I could be careful and use a flathead screwdriver to open it. Although I managed to get it open, I did leave a scratch on the cover and I tried to be careful.

I searched around and purchased this:
Tesla Model Y Hitch Cover Tools (2nd Gen) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096YGYLZH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_7DRQVG56EJBYY6N9CWG3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I received it and not only did it make it quicker and easier to open, I didn’t scratch it all. Good luck! I used it to put my bike rack and it worked great!

Reactions: Tha_Ape
We have a tow hitch on the M3 and I was getting worried about getting one fitted to the Y (after "purchase (lease)") but it looks like you can now configure the Y with a hitch and it is cheap than the £1500 it used to be!

When we first ordered our Y a year ago we had added a hitch to it. We ended up switching to existing inventory and the vehicle we got did not have a hitch on it. It wasnt something we needed immediately and knew we could add it later.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, its time to get one, summer is approaching! Order it, get it installed and come home. Tesla conveniently left the cover in the trunk, since nothing is in there right now I decide to cover it up. Now I've heard stories of people having trouble getting the cover off, but what do those ppl know? I had a chance to look at it before it went back on the car so I "know" how to take it off...

Me 15min later (see pic):
View attachment 813636

LOL...

(I ended up cutting 1/2 the tabs off to make it easier to take on and off) No complaints really, just a laugh. I'm probably going to buy an extra cover (I think they're $15) just in case I break this one or feel like modifying it more.
I found starting from the top center, the ply top left and top right makes it much easier to get it off. That's the trick that Tesla service showed me. But I agree it's still a PIA.

I broke down and bought one of those covers to replace the stock one. It was well worth it.
It was always such a pain in the ass to remove the cover, even with those hitch cover removal tools. It's a 5 second job now.

I also recommend this cover from ungodly design

Thanks for the info!

Are you able to stick your finger through when removing the cover or do you have to take the plug out?
The plug is not easy to remove. You'd have to push it out from the inside.
I glued a neodymium magnet on the inside of the plug , and use another magnet from the outside to "grip" the cover, and the cover pops right off. You can also use a piece of steel instead of a 2nd magnet.

I’m looking at this answer in my phone but I don’t see a link. What have you put on it? Waterproof cargo bag, luggage, or something else? How many pounds? I’m looking towards a 350 mile trip and may need extra luggage room. Thanks.

Here's a regular link: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BD5P0RS

We helped move my daughter when she graduated from college. We had probably 120lbs of storage bins on there. I held them down with ratchet straps.
I have a smaller steel version of this basket, and it weights almost 90lbs by itself. I've used it with my Land Rovers.
I bought the aluminum one because it gives me more cargo weight for the Tesla, which has a lower vertical cargo weight of 160lbs. (Although I'm sure I've exceeded it...)

The plug is not easy to remove. You'd have to push it out from the inside.

Actually - I just tried it, and the plug I put in there seems to be softer than when I installed it, and I was able to pull it out and re-insert it pretty easily.
My magnet setup is overkill... :oops: I'll probably be removing the plug from now on - one less thing to deal with.

Here's a pic of the cover with the m22.23 plug installed.

Ungodly-Model-Y-Hitch-Cover.jpg