TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

So I gave up on the Model 3... and bought a Model S

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Hammonddave, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Hammonddave

Hammonddave Member

So I came to my senses. Although the Model 3 is a very cool and advanced automobile, I could not resist the allure of that huge and beautiful Model S sitting next to a Model 3 in the showroom. Not only is a Model S a stunning car (with its new front end), but it has double the cargo room and will make my life so much easier when I have to transport my keyboard to gigs. Plus being a mid 60's guy, the seats feel larger and there is tons of room inside. So I got the D75 without the upgraded radio and heated steering wheel (Hello! I live in So Cal). Got Autopilot and was happy not to spend another $4000 on seats! I actually prefer the feel of the textile seats.

The best part is that I can take delivery in three weeks! Guaranteed! Not to mention free Super Charging. But it all came down to the fact that the S is worth an extra $20K to upgrade.

So the Summon feature will be quite handy in fitting my S into my 94 inch wide garage.

I never spent this much money on a car... but what the Hell.... I have no kids and you can't take it with you.

• Like x 14
    • Love x 3
  2. Sprandt23

Sprandt23 Member

Welcome to the club! You will have a blast driving/owning it - the biggest problem will be trying not to find excuses to just go drive somewhere! :D

• Like x 2
  3. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

Congrats and welcome to the club! Model S 75D is an incredible value with all the stuff they've added over the years.

• Like x 1
  4. mburnet6

mburnet6 Member

So true... I find myself actually wanting to drive into work now instead of working from home.

• Like x 2
  5. Ormond

Ormond Member

Welcome! Post some photos when you get it. I hope that it exceeds your expectations.

• Informative x 1
  6. Barnes

Barnes Member

The textile seats are great. Good choice, way better than the leather or vegan options.

• Like x 3
  7. Barnes

Barnes Member

oh yeah, I forgot to ask.... can you will me your keyboard ;-)

8. MarkKW

MarkKW Member

How did you pull off delivery in 3 weeks? This seems way out of the norm? We are assuming new correct? Enjoy the ride!

9. Paco180

Paco180 Member

I was also waiting for a model 3 performance. When i priced the model 3 with performance, premium white interior and performance package, it came out at $70500. Model S 75D similar options $78050. For $8k. And .5sec quicker. Not worth the price. Is like comparing a BMW 3 series to a BMW 7 series. That been said, I canceled my model 3 order, and got a Model S.

• Like x 1
  10. johnster007

johnster007 Member

Congrats! I think your value analysis is spot on. While the 3 is a blast to drive, it’s ride is far less refined than the S with air suspension. I’m taking a 1500 mile trip on Sunday, and while I could save a few minutes at supercharger time with the 3, I’m taking the S for its ride quality. The S is a road trip dream.

• Like x 3
  11. Ahzuz

Ahzuz Member

Did the same thing, was a day 1 reservation older, configured finally my Model 3 AWD as I wanted, for 15k more I had an S.
    Ordered the S.

But how can you take delivery in three weeks guaranteed ? I understand your are is SoCal but in Canada they tell us 6-8 weeks for a new Model S :(

12. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

And yet so many people (wrongly) claim that the 3 is a more advanced car. Your guys' experience have shown otherwise, people are willing to pay more for what they (rightly) perceive to be a better car.

13. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Gratz!

Make sure you get this in writing (email is fine) at or before delivery. It's just good to get something like that nailed down.

14. ridersinc

ridersinc Alien from another planet...

Congrats and agree. Textile in both my Model X 90D and Model S P100D.

• Like x 1
  15. Hammonddave

Hammonddave Member

Picking up my S on Monday. It was three weeks since I ordered it. My salesperson found the exact config I wanted assigned to a dealer in the northeast and hijacked it off the line. That’s why it was so fast!

So I know that there have been several quality control issues on deliveries of the 3, but I have not read many posts complaining about S defects. What should I look for? Paint? Panels? Can I ask for a test drive before I sign the papers?

• Informative x 1
  16. SpudLime

SpudLime Member

I just got my S on Sunday. Flawless. Relax and enjoy your ride.

• Like x 1
  17. Ormond

Ormond Member

I might be too late, but there is a delivery check list on the forum. I drove my X before signing. Just ask.

Good luck and congratulations!