Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So, I got an old Model S as a loaner ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RNHurt

2020 MY, White, Black
Jul 29, 2020
Louisville, KY
... and boy do I miss my MY! The MS feels like something Mercedes or BMW would build; large, heavy, and full of all kinds of buttons and levers. By comparison, the MY feels like a rocket ship from the future. That "single pane of glass" works really well once you get used to it.

At one point I was considering a used MS as they were cheaper and had lots of features. I'm soooo glad that I went with a new MY! I only had it a week before it needed service (delivery issues) but I really miss it and can't wait to drive it again.

Just felt like I had to rant a bit. :)

I told them I wasn’t comfortable with an Uber (which is true) and 5 minutes later I had a loaner. The MS was a fun drive, chill mode was not enabled. But way too many screens, buttons, and knobs. I think I counted 4 stalks on the steering column. I love the spaceship feel of the MY.

I’ve received a P90D and a 85D and sadly both were locked to chill. They were both older than 2016 and both had screen issues (delamination, yellowing, banding).

I’ve received a P90D and a 85D and sadly both were locked to chill. They were both older than 2016 and both had screen issues (delamination, yellowing, banding).

I received a P90D last night as it happens while my Y is getting some stuff worked out. I guess I got lucky to be driving an S P90D that's not locked to chill?! :D:D

I will agree with what others have said. The Model S seems like something from a different decade and/or brand in many respects. Its stupidly, UNCONSCIONABLY powerful, but this particular S doesn't have single pedal driving, nor autopilot for some reason. The doors feel heavy and heavily used like an older car. Likewise the interior door handles make me feel meh. The center console seems oddly barren for storage and usefulness.

All of these things reaffirm to me that the best cars you can buy from Tesla are the Model 3 and Model Y. I just wish my Y had the same epic torque pull that this S has...

Reactions: RNHurt
I agree with what everyone's saying. My Y is in the shop now and they gave me a 75D MS (which I been driving for the last 3-4 days).

A few things I do like about the S though:
door handle - more traditional feel
more efficient - getting around 270-280 wh/mi whereas I was getting around 320-330 wh/mi with my Y
AC vents - I like that I can just adjust the directional flow manually vs having to use the touchscreen
Dashboard screen - I like that I can look straight ahead and see the speedometer, energy usage, etc. while having the touchscreen for other things

Besides that, the MY rocks. I miss my car. The interior look and feel, the storage space, 1-pedal driving, etc.outshines vs the MS. Also don't like how low the S is. Oh and I'm not a fan that it doesn't have front door side storage pockets (at least that's the case with my current loaner). Just MHO, the S is too big. I like the the compact sporty feel of the Y. Maybe I'm just not mature and sophisticated enough to appreciate the S. I always did gravitate towards beer more.... :)

Last edited:
Reactions: RNHurt
... and boy do I miss my MY! The MS feels like something Mercedes or BMW would build; large, heavy, and full of all kinds of buttons and levers. By comparison, the MY feels like a rocket ship from the future. That "single pane of glass" works really well once you get used to it.

At one point I was considering a used MS as they were cheaper and had lots of features. I'm soooo glad that I went with a new MY! I only had it a week before it needed service (delivery issues) but I really miss it and can't wait to drive it again.

Just felt like I had to rant a bit. :)

I wish I had your problem. The SC here just keeps offering me Uber credits.

I wish I had your problem. The SC here just keeps offering me Uber credits.
Not sure if it helps, but my experience was that I needed to present a case for needing a loaner.
For example, I live 75 miles from the SC. I work 20 miles away from my home and I work for a business where I need to travel between buildings on occasion and needing a car to travel between locations is an expectation of my job. Uber drivers are HARD to come by at 6:30am for when I need to leave for work, and my job requires I be at work at a specific time where I do not have the flexibility relying on Uber will allow for. After I presented all of those points, I was "granted" a loaner. Of course, YMMV.

I told them I wasn’t comfortable with an Uber (which is true) and 5 minutes later I had a loaner. The MS was a fun drive, chill mode was not enabled. But way too many screens, buttons, and knobs. I think I counted 4 stalks on the steering column. I love the spaceship feel of the MY.

I know what you mean about the spaceship feel, but to be funny and more accurate, space ships have a lot more screens, buttons, and knobs than a MS ;)

Makes sense that people that have chosen a Model 3/y to purchase would feel they are the better vehicles than someone that initially chose a S/X.

People with S/X may feel that the 3/y are harsh riding, low performance, no space, little screen info etc.

People buying smaller cars usually value nimble and quick handling, while those buying larger cars value prestige, smooth ride and comfort. They value the additional power and long distance cruising capability.