Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So I guess they have enough beta testers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was under the impression that if you paid, played their game, had a good score for a decent amount of miles and days, that you would get into the beta soon. My mistake. Apparently that’s not the case. Way too many people driving slower and more careful than a half blind grandma, that have been waiting for almost a month. It’s basically the only reason I paid for FSD. The other features aren’t worth anywhere close to the cost anymore.

I’m driving a performance vehicle like someone with a drivers permit.

You can’t merge onto freeways properly if there are any other cars without unsafe following. You can’t press the brake pedal. Even regen breaking is considered hard breaking if you let off the gas and let it come to a stop. You can’t turn at a light with the flow of traffic, apparently that’s hard turning.

Im at 99 with 1500 miles...

I think I’m done with the attempting to get into the beta...

Anyone else understand what’s going on and extremely frustrated?

Don't worry about it. You're not missing a damn thing. It's interesting for the first 2 minutes, and then as soon as you come to something as simple as a stop sign, unless there are absolutely no cars around you, you will give up waiting for the car to actually proceed through the intersection as it creeps, creeps some more, creeps some more, and then finally when you are out in the middle of the damn intersection you step on the gas to get the damn thing to continue through the intersection.

Honestly it's not usable at all and hasn't been for the past several iterations. It's interesting to see how it does handle things, and was an interesting gimmick at first, but from a daily driving standpoint, I never use it outside of my actual neighborhood (just to monitor if it's actually improving).

Don't worry about it. You're not missing a damn thing. It's interesting for the first 2 minutes, and then as soon as you come to something as simple as a stop sign, unless there are absolutely no cars around you, you will give up waiting for the car to actually proceed through the intersection as it creeps, creeps some more, creeps some more, and then finally when you are out in the middle of the damn intersection you step on the gas to get the damn thing to continue through the intersection.

Honestly it's not usable at all and hasn't been for the past several iterations. It's interesting to see how it does handle things, and was an interesting gimmick at first, but from a daily driving standpoint, I never use it outside of my actual neighborhood (just to monitor if it's actually improving).
I worry because I want to stop driving stupidly to keep my score high. Once I qualify, I can decide if I want it on or not. But I want the option to be able to use the car to its capabilities without worrying that I'm going to take a curve a little faster than the algorithm wants or if I'm too close to the car in front of me, even if I'm comfortable with the distance.

I worry because I want to stop driving stupidly to keep my score high. Once I qualify, I can decide if I want it on or not. But I want the option to be able to use the car to its capabilities without worrying that I'm going to take a curve a little faster than the algorithm wants or if I'm too close to the car in front of me, even if I'm comfortable with the distance.
exactly. Id like to have the option to use the beta, or normal AP when I feel like it. Not keep playing this game whether im using it or not. its ****ing purgatory.

I wonder if Tesla allots FSD beta slots based on location? There's probably more benefit to add a driver from a place with few beta testers than to from someplace that already has a large number of participants.
If so, they should say "Sorry, we currently aren't looking for more beta testers in your area! We will notify you when your locale becomes available"

Completely has killed the enjoyment of my car, but im worried that the day I opt out, will be the day before I was going to be let in.

I guess what I'm saying is that you're going to ruin the enjoyment of your car trying to maintain a certain safety score, and then finally get FSD beta, and within a few days come to decide that the whole rigmarole wasn't worth it and barely, if ever, actually use FSD beta. Kind of like the experience with Summon. It sounded like so great a thing, and was a great party gimmick that people used a few times to show off to their friends, and then finally realized that it was practically useless in real world examples.

Of course your mileage may vary--maybe you will think that FSD beta is really cool and useful to you, but honestly, based on what I've experienced, it really wouldn't be worth what sounds like a frustrating experience in trying to comply with the Tesla safety rules. You will likely regret the months you've spent trying to drive "safely".

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
I guess what I'm saying is that you're going to ruin the enjoyment of your car trying to maintain a certain safety score, and then finally get FSD beta, and within a few days come to decide that the whole rigmarole wasn't worth it and barely, if ever, actually use FSD beta. Kind of like the experience with Summon. It sounded like so great a thing, and was a great party gimmick that people used a few times to show off to their friends, and then finally realized that it was practically useless in real world examples.

Of course your mileage may vary--maybe you will think that FSD beta is really cool and useful to you, but honestly, based on what I've experienced, it really wouldn't be worth what sounds like a frustrating experience in trying to comply with the Tesla safety rules. You will likely regret the months you've spent trying to drive "safely".

I don't care. I want what I paid for no matter how bad it is. Give us FSD, Elon!

Good feedback. This should be the description on the Tesla website under the $12,000 price. :)

Last edited:
I don't care. I want what I paid for no matter how bad it is. Give us FSD, Elon!
Well, unfortunately by default, you will have to wait until it's not "beta", and the usual caveat emptor applies in that when you paid for something that didn't exist at the time, without any indication of or promise of schedule, you implicitly agreed to wait an unspecified amount of time to receive what you paid for. You did not buy FSD beta, you bought FSD, and right now, that doesn't exist. Personally I think it's still going to be quite some time before FSD exists. I've felt that way since I bought the car and the only reason I bought FSD when I did was that it was a fire sale at a price that I felt was worth the risk of never actually receiving it (plus I felt like at the time I was helping to fund its development, almost on a goodwill basis).

So while you definitely have a valid complaint that you paid for FSD and still don't have it, unfortunately you and everyone else that bought it, bought something that may or may not exist for a long time.

Good feedback. This should be in the description on the Tesla website under the $12,000 price. :)
Yes! I think they ought to also be very upfront (as I said in the post above), that you are buying a product that does not yet exist and there is no set schedule for when it will exist, if it ever does at all (although I do think it will EVENTUALLY, I just think it's still a long way off).

I got the beta with 98 score and under 1k miles.
My suspicion is the let cars in that fit a profile they need data from.

Location, model of car, year of car, etc.
I have a 2017 Model S with upgraded AP hardware so maybe I fit a certain profile.

• Informative
Reactions: impastu
...without any indication of or promise of schedule,..
What rock have you been living under? I have heard A LOT of indications and promises of schedule for release of Full Self Driving, both before I bought it (mid-2018) and after. Just after I purchased my Model 3, the website was changed to say "Coming at the end of the year." It what universe is that not, if not a promise, at least an "indication" of schedule?

Reactions: Matias
What rock have you been living under? I have heard A LOT of indications and promises of schedule for release of Full Self Driving, both before I bought it (mid-2018) and after. Just after I purchased my Model 3, the website was changed to say "Coming at the end of the year." It what universe is that not, if not a promise, at least an "indication" of schedule?
If you can show me where in your purchase agreement for the car (or FSD if you bought it separately) it shows when the product will be delivered, then I will happily retract what I've said. Putting something on a web site does not constitute any kind of agreement or contract to deliver the product on a specific schedule. The Tesla web site also stated the purchase price accounting for a certain amount of "fuel savings" and other incentives which may or may not reflect reality. Unfortunately the fine print says otherwise.

I got the beta with 98 score and under 1k miles.
My suspicion is the let cars in that fit a profile they need data from.

Location, model of car, year of car, etc.
I have a 2017 Model S with upgraded AP hardware so maybe I fit a certain profile.
Does your vehicle need camera upgrades? My early 2017 MX does, and I won't be able to get FSD Beta until I get the upgrade. I quit the FSD Beta program in the meantime - why drive like an idiot for no good reason?