Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So I had my ms ceramic coated - pic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
upload_2020-2-22_16-59-53.png

Just thought anybody thinking about it , would like to see results .

Attachments

• 61EC0892-BA24-4AFC-A97A-B437D0066D64.png
    61EC0892-BA24-4AFC-A97A-B437D0066D64.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 92
  • A2DA0D98-971F-486A-94CF-5E8955ED3F09.png
    A2DA0D98-971F-486A-94CF-5E8955ED3F09.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 87
  • 9472A413-637A-4A1D-AB3E-513E1E2187CE.png
    9472A413-637A-4A1D-AB3E-513E1E2187CE.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 98
Bought my M3 in Dec and had it ceramic coated in Jan. The guy who did my coating also sells "waterless" washing solution. I was skeptical, but you just spray it on and wipe it off. Everything comes clean without a lot of hassle. I can do the whole car in 15 minutes and it looks great. Definitely recommend ceramic coating if you are willing to spend the $$

I had my car ceramic pro coated a few weeks ago. So far, the jury is out, but I want to see how it performs in the warmer weather.

The warranty seems like a sham as a lot is left up to interpretation. Read the fine print and it makes no sense. This is why I elected to go with silver as opposed to gold. For the warranty to remain active, you have to have an annual out of pocket cost to have your installer "inspect" the car. I probably won't even bother doing it as I'd love to hear about a person who has had a successful claim against this warranty and the reasoning behind it.

As far as ease of cleaning, so far, I've washed my car a couple of times, and didn't really see a cleaning benefit so far. I still had to dry the car the same, and I still had some dirt that didn't just come off by "rinsing" it. The water definitely does bead off when raining. I will say the car is shiny when washed, but it's a brand new paint, and I am curious to see if those with older paint notice a huge improvement. So far I am not noticing water spots from rain/washing, but it's too early to tell.

• Informative
Reactions: SilverGS
I had my car ceramic pro coated a few weeks ago. So far, the jury is out, but I want to see how it performs in the warmer weather.

The warranty seems like a sham as a lot is left up to interpretation. Read the fine print and it makes no sense. This is why I elected to go with silver as opposed to gold. For the warranty to remain active, you have to have an annual out of pocket cost to have your installer "inspect" the car. I probably won't even bother doing it as I'd love to hear about a person who has had a successful claim against this warranty and the reasoning behind it.

As far as ease of cleaning, so far, I've washed my car a couple of times, and didn't really see a cleaning benefit so far. I still had to dry the car the same, and I still had some dirt that didn't just come off by "rinsing" it. The water definitely does bead off when raining. I will say the car is shiny when washed, but it's a brand new paint, and I am curious to see if those with older paint notice a huge improvement. So far I am not noticing water spots from rain/washing, but it's too early to tell.

a) My OptiCoat warranty comes with an annual inspection and "decontamination wash", at no cost to me
b) I have had warranty work done twice, OptiCoat fully stands behind their products, I think others do as well
c) If you are not seeing a benefit washing your car, your issue may lie with what actually got done to your car. What did you pay? Which product was used, and how many coats? I still have to wipe down "film", that doesn't change, but overall dirt comes off way easier.
d) The shine is relevant on top of a paint corrected surface, polished to perfection. New or old, this is required. I have done a home-job on older cars, and as long as the paint is not faded, if you prep it right, it comes out looking brand new
e) It still requires super care when washing (2 bucket, or whatever you do to ensure no dirt is on the surface when you 'rub' -- ceramic coating is harder than clear coat, but it will still scratch

a) My OptiCoat warranty comes with an annual inspection and "decontamination wash", at no cost to me
b) I have had warranty work done twice, OptiCoat fully stands behind their products, I think others do as well
c) If you are not seeing a benefit washing your car, your issue may lie with what actually got done to your car. What did you pay? Which product was used, and how many coats? I still have to wipe down "film", that doesn't change, but overall dirt comes off way easier.
d) The shine is relevant on top of a paint corrected surface, polished to perfection. New or old, this is required. I have done a home-job on older cars, and as long as the paint is not faded, if you prep it right, it comes out looking brand new
e) It still requires super care when washing (2 bucket, or whatever you do to ensure no dirt is on the surface when you 'rub' -- ceramic coating is harder than clear coat, but it will still scratch

I just washed my car now and it came out nicely. I had 2 coats of 9H ceramic pro put on. The gold would have been 4 coats but I elected to save some money as most say the silver is a good middle ground. I washed it with a rinse first, then Meguir’s Gold car wash soap with a foam gun and then another rinse. I dried it off with waffle drying towels. I’ve tried a few leaf blowers but they seem like more work than they are worth.

I have to find out if my annual inspection costs money but my understanding is it did.

Here is my car garaged now.

6E1AD430-77B3-4623-86E3-E7DB0ABBDA6E.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve found the following: if (like me), you wash your car yourself and regularly polish/seal or wax it? You get the same gloss/hydrophobic properties (tiny rain beads) as ceramic coating.

I typically do a spray Ceramic hybrid wax (takes 10 mins) myself once per month. Once every three months I spray decontamination wash then reapply the spray ceramic hybrid wax.

cheaper and simply works for me

• Informative
Reactions: SilverGS
I'd love to tell you its the greatest thing on earth to help justify my purchase , but really the jury is still out. We had the same detail shop do our Cayenne and GL63 as well, and those 2 have been done for months. As far as seeing the "truth" , the truth is that i could care less about the warranty. i don't have the free time to hand wash my cars , and i got the ceramic to slow stop swirls or at least slow them down, from the automatic car washes. the ceramic has enabled me to wash my cars less often as the rain just washes it off. we no longer use the wipers anymore as the water just flies off the windshield . I too, tried rain -x and the diy ceramic kits. and if i went by those results , i would be saying ceramic is a waste. Having a pro shop bake it on and using better products has really changed my mind. But to each , his own. I'm just telling you about my ceramic experience .

Last edited:
What is the hybird and decontamination wax you use? Sounds like a good compromise.

i use Iron x spray OR I’ll soap the car and use synthetic clay rag. Then I use Meguiars hybrid ceramic spray wax according to instructions.

It all depends on what your goals are. Mine are
Glossy paint
Tiny rain beads
Paint still glossy after several years when I go to sell

I’ve used different products over the years but my process above has always remained the same And with the results that I was expecting

Last edited:
I'd love to tell you its the greatest thing on earth to help justify my purchase , but really the jury is still out. We had the same detail shop do our Cayenne and GL63 as well, and those 2 have been done for months. As far as seeing the "truth" , the truth is that i could care less about the warranty. i don't have the free time to hand wash my cars , and i got the ceramic to slow stop swirls or at least slow them down, from the automatic car washes. the ceramic has enabled me to wash my cars less often as the rain just washes it off. we no longer use the wipers anymore as the water just flies off the windshield . I too, tried rain -x and the diy ceramic kits. and if i went by those results , i would be saying ceramic is a waste. Having a pro shop bake it on and using better products has really changed my mind. But to each , his own. I'm just telling you about my ceramic experience .
Thanks, it is much appreciated. I don't mind hand washing my car so this threat is helping me a lot to decide whether to go forward out not. I do hope you end up feeling it was a good deal for your situation. It does look good!