Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So I Have To Pay Another $2500 by July 1 to Avoid Annual Internet Charges?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So i'm a day 1 rsvp but holding out for the $35k model. When my invite to order email came, i just deferred my order until standard model.

So now, do i have to pay another $2500 by July 1 to avoid the annual internet fees or am I good since i reserved early?

I only ask because i didnt recieve any new email from Tesla asking me to pay another $2500 or anything.

You pay the $2,500 when you configure your car. My understanding is you have to configure before July 1st to get free internet. So unfortunately if you're waiting for the base model I don't think you'll be able to order in time.

So i'm a day 1 rsvp but holding out for the $35k model. When my invite to order email came, i just deferred my order until standard model.

So now, do i have to pay another $2500 by July 1 to avoid the annual internet fees or am I good since i reserved early?

I only ask because i didnt recieve any new email from Tesla asking me to pay another $2500 or anything.
You will not pay the $2500 until you are ready to place your actual order that will put your total amount at 3500 out of your pocket the 1000 you originally paid plus the 2500 you pay at the point of order and when I say order I mean configuring your car and truly placing the order. it is now past July 1 deadline so after the first year of service is free you will pay $100 per year if you choose that feature set

My understanding, and remember this is all in the fog of the moment, is that you need to order a specific build (by yesterday or today?) to get the premium data upgrade bundled. So you can't do it for the SR.

Good news is you don't need to play extra Internet charges if you're willing to forego all the following:
1) using the music streaming service
2) seeing satellite image overview or traffic congestion heat map on navigation
3) OTA via LTE, so you'd use Wifi (home or Tesla service center) to receive OTA updates

I'm a little unsure if #3 is the case but that's the way I'm reading what I've seen.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and trm2
Ryan on Ride the Lightning this weekend (his podcast) is of the opinion (and I agree) that all original 3 res holders (on/before the date this new policy was announced) should be grandfathered into the lifetime free data (like current S and X and 3 owners).

You all waiting for SR batteries would have ordered (configured/bought) the cars if they were available. You aren’t stalling, Tesla is.

But as of now, the policy in force is only owned cars or confirmed order before today July 1 gets the lifetime (original owner we assume!) free data.

Yes ... you've been played.

• Funny
Reactions: neroden and Adeon
This little thing almost got me to order yesterday. I think yesterday was the cutoff as I understood it.

It's amazing what the psychology of free for even something low cost can do.

Instead some part of me said to hold off until they were more consistent with production numbers or process before ordering.
Same with me and I have been through hell with my first Model 3. My wife doesn’t understand why I would even consider ordering another one...psychology of free stuff is a strange thing.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
ady to place your actual order that will put your total amount at 3500 out of your pocket the 1000 you originally paid plus the 2500 you pay at the point of order and when I say orde
Ryan on Ride the Lightning this weekend (his podcast) is of the opinion (and I agree) that all original 3 res holders (on/before the date this new policy was announced) should be grandfathered into the lifetime free data (like current S and X and 3 owners).

You all waiting for SR batteries would have ordered (configured/bought) the cars if they were available. You aren’t stalling, Tesla is.

But as of now, the policy in force is only owned cars or confirmed order before today July 1 gets the lifetime (original owner we assume!) free data.

@jtdiddy

Why would you expect to get free data and music streaming for life on the cheapest, lowest margin Model 3 Tesla makes? Does that sound like a sustainable business practice for Tesla?

Personally I don't think the expected cost should really force anyone's hand, you can always use your cell phone to play music (or connect a hotspot to wifi and use wifi when at home.

This little thing almost got me to order yesterday. I think yesterday was the cutoff as I understood it.

Instead some part of me said to hold off until they were more consistent with production numbers or process before ordering.
Me too. The expiring free internet service made me re evaluate if I really wanted to wait for white interior and risk losing the tax credit AND free internet, which will add up to about $1k if you keep the car for 11 years (since the first year is free). I went and looked at white interior in an X and decided it wasn't worth waiting possibly 6 months or more, losing the full tax credit and the free internet, and risking more expensive repair costs on my current car.

same with me. I wanted to hold off but i had ordered on 30th june. I have choosen Red color and i was conflicting between Red and Silver :) and i like the blue one too :)

Me too. The expiring free internet service made me re evaluate if I really wanted to wait for white interior and risk losing the tax credit AND free internet, which will add up to about $1k if you keep the car for 11 years (since the first year is free). I went and looked at white interior in an X and decided it wasn't worth waiting possibly 6 months or more, losing the full tax credit and the free internet, and risking more expensive repair costs on my current car.
I agree with you and i understand its a personal choice but you would be risking Tax credit if you have waited for white Interior.

Reactions: slipnslider
Personally I don't think the expected cost should really force anyone's hand, you can always use your cell phone to play music (or connect a hotspot to wifi and use wifi when at home.
Depends on where your "home" is. Apartment complex? Condo complex? Your car might not be in range of your wifi. Definitely not if you're in a downtown area with multiple stories in the condo. Seems like you're going to have to take a trip to a Service Center to ensure you get the updates. Or perhaps you can sit outside a McD's or Starbucks and leach off their wifi with your car.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden

I ordered about a month ago....however I don't care. I'm so excited that after years and months I'm only a month or so away.

Tesla reached 5K per month......and I'm all buttons checked.

Life is Good.

$35K Model has no free lifetime premium wifi and will probably be eligible for 1/4th tax credit.

The $100 PER YEAR benefit would cost you an extra $9000 right now to lock in the cheapest Model 3.

There's other push/push math in play but you'd have to keep your car for 90 years at 100 per year to close in on $9000 worth of premium data. ;)

However, If Model S and Model X refresh is not ready this year, nothing stops Tesla to offering free data again and free supercharging to continue to push demand levers.

Nothing to worry about unless you were planning on getting an LR Model 3 anyway.

Reactions: ℬête Noire

Another consideration is the tax credit. It is likely people still gets the full credit until q3/4 but after that it’s very likely to start phasing out.