Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So I Have To Pay Another $2500 by July 1 to Avoid Annual Internet Charges?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$35K Model has no free lifetime premium wifi and will probably be eligible for 1/4th tax credit.

The $100 PER YEAR benefit would cost you an extra $9000 right now to lock in the cheapest Model 3.

There's other push/push math in play but you'd have to keep your car for 90 years at 100 per year to close in on $9000 worth of premium data. ;)

However, If Model S and Model X refresh is not ready this year, nothing stops Tesla to offering free data again and free supercharging to continue to push demand levers.

Nothing to worry about unless you were planning on getting an LR Model 3 anyway.
Where do you get 1/4 Tax Credit from? We expect 200K to be this month. That means full credit for rest of 2018. That means 50% Credit for Q1 and 2 of 2019. 25% is Q3 and 4 of 2019.

Where do you get 1/4 Tax Credit from? We expect 200K to be this month. That means full credit for rest of 2018. That means 50% Credit for Q1 and 2 of 2019. 25% is Q3 and 4 of 2019.
There are going to be some SR at 1/2 tax credit but not clear yet how many $35K units Tesla will ship by end of Q2. Given how Tesla has ramped through production of variants of a model in the past, they'll fulfill SR PUP orders first. Combined with starting to ship beyond Canada some time in 2019, it is reasonable to expect that most if not all of the $35K units will be built Q3 or later.

If you order any car with PUP (after July 1) you get the Premium Connectivity FREE for 1 year after your car is delivered. Then have the option to continue it (est $100.00 per year) after it expires.

I believe that those reservation holders (before July 1) waiting for SR/PUP models will likely get the same deal, due to the unavailability of the car currently...

Put, I personally know a few people that were looking for the SR model and changed their minds (before July 1) to a LR/PUP model to take advantage of (possibly) the full tax credit/lifetime premium connectivity package

I purchased June 30. Not for the “free premium connectivity ”, but because the delivery time is pushing out due to all the orders and I would like the tax credit.

The premium connectivity is far less than I pay for XM radiator now.

I did notice the premium connectivity is listed in the premium package. So no telling how it will be in the base car.

Put, I personally know a few people that were looking for the SR model and changed their minds (before July 1) to a LR/PUP model to take advantage of (possibly) the full tax credit/lifetime premium connectivity package
The tax credit would be the major factor there. It'd take several decades of the Premium Data annual fee to match the $3750 drop in the tax credit come (likely) Q1 2019.

At least rationally. Sometimes "free stuff" kinda gets in people's heads.....

The tax credit would be the major factor there. It'd take several decades of the Premium Data annual fee to match the $3750 drop in the tax credit come (likely) Q1 2019.

At least rationally. Sometimes "free stuff" kinda gets in people's heads.....

People hate to be nickeled and dimed after they buy a car....

Nice to know that it's one less expense I will have to think about... Will I need the premium connectivity? God only knows....

But.... With Tesla constantly upgrading the software, it's nice to know that no matter where I am, I'll have connectivity. Who knows what additional (if any) services that they may add that will make use of the premium connect.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
@jtdiddy

Why would you expect to get free data and music streaming for life on the cheapest, lowest margin Model 3 Tesla makes? Does that sound like a sustainable business practice for Tesla?

Personally I don't think the expected cost should really force anyone's hand, you can always use your cell phone to play music (or connect a hotspot to wifi and use wifi when at home.

I'm a Model X owner but just asking b/c i'm getting the standard Model 3 for my Dad. He's retired so $100/yr is still $100/yr to him if u get my drift.

I purchased June 30. Not for the “free premium connectivity ”, but because the delivery time is pushing out due to all the orders and I would like the tax credit.

The premium connectivity is far less than I pay for XM radiator now.

I did notice the premium connectivity is listed in the premium package. So no telling how it will be in the base car.

I Have ordered on June 30th for the same reason. As soon as i got time to configure it i have ordered it because the delivery dates are being pushed and i don't want to miss tax credit. Only god knows if Tesla will deliver within estimated Delivery range. Fingers crossed :)

Cheap is all relative. I find the $38,750 base model 3 not that cheap compared to a $54k Model 3 that is basically fully loaded, extra warranty, 40pc more range , autopilot, leather, upgraded sound system, those nice memory profiles, faster supercharging etc etc

Same with me and I have been through hell with my first Model 3. My wife doesn’t understand why I would even consider ordering another one...psychology of free stuff is a strange thing.

FOMO is a powerful thing indeed. Dislike of spending more ranks right up there. Another consideration is buying something tomorrow that has less value than all others sold before it.

Examples of the latter include all Teslas ordered after 1/15/2017, which will no longer include supercharging for owners subsequent to the original.

Another example was the removal of included supercharging for 100Ds and other cars configured after 1/15/2017 and delivered by 4/15/2017. Of course, that decision was reversed 4 weeks later and all monies collected were refunded.

Yet another is the new ESA. Purchase it within the first 6 months of ownership and it’s one price (e.g., $4250). Purchase it on day 185 instead and it’s $4750 - $500 more.

So, with that context, $100/year for partial connectivity is just a drop in the bucket.