Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So I installed the Hansshow trunk foot sensor the other day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
really just grab and pull...

The piece that is on the bottom of the trunk lid (that is, closest to the latch) is held on in two places by push-rivets about half way up each side of the window. You will need to remove those two rivets before trying to pull the whole thing off. To remove the rivets, use a trim tool or a flathead screwdriver to pry up the middle of the rivet. It comes out about 1/4". After that is slides right out.

After that, though, just grab and pull!

For the guy that needs to order a part you likely will need to contact your local service center. Someone there should be able to order it for you.

The piece that is on the bottom of the trunk lid (that is, closest to the latch) is held on in two places by push-rivets about half way up each side of the window. You will need to remove those two rivets before trying to pull the whole thing off. To remove the rivets, use a trim tool or a flathead screwdriver to pry up the middle of the rivet. It comes out about 1/4". After that is slides right out.

After that, though, just grab and pull!

For the guy that needs to order a part you likely will need to contact your local service center. Someone there should be able to order it for you.

I tried calling the local service center and got no option to talk to a person or order a part.

I find the part number in Tesla’s online catalog, then order through the Service function in the Tesla App.

Include both part number, especially the -(Letter) at the end and the catalog’s name for the part. If you have the broken part, look at its -(Letter) and add “to replace broken -(Letter).”

Tesla parts evolve rapidly, each generation is one letter further down the alphabet. On one hand, it’s good to get the most current version. On the other hand, the parts desk wants to ensure that a newer version will be compatible with your vehicle.

Reactions: gunthermic
In places with a real winter, will the back pop open every time you shovel snow, or park over a lump of snow?

If you are shoveling snow under your car then you are doing it wrong :)

I could see triggering it with a shovel if you are clearing a path directly behind the sensor. You need to be aware where the sensor is and where your shovel is. If you lock the car and turn off Bluetooth on your phone so as not to unlock it there would not be an issue.

I have not experienced any issues with the hatch opening from road objects. I've been in snow but I cannot say that I parked over a lump.

Yes, I just ordered it yesterday. Is it easy to install? How do you take the broken one off?

Very easy to install. You just push it on until it latches into place (there’s a small nub that locks it to the latch). I had to smack mine with an open palm a few times to get it to latch.

When you get the new one, you’ll see where you need to pry up on the old one to remove it.

Tesla Offer is having a similar product. However, they have listed two variants. Basic and Extra.
The extra safety feature include two extra feature that prevents the foot sensor from activated in unnecessary situations.
The foot sensor will be deactivated when the car is in non-P mode (prevent scenario 1), or when the car’s emergency flash light is turned on (for car wash purpose, prevent scenario 2)

They say that the additional safety feature prevents activation under the following circumstances.

1. During back up parking and the sensor senses a curb when the car stop.
2. During car wash when the phone key is still presented.

Did anyone take their car through a car wash after the installation with the hansshow model? I am now worried.:(

Tesla Offer is having a similar product. However, they have listed two variants. Basic and Extra.

They say that the additional safety feature prevents activation under the following circumstances.

Did anyone take their car through a car wash after the installation with the hansshow model? I am now worried.:(

Answering my own question:
If you have the car locked with the lock button on screen(right above the car), then the trunk won't open(Car wash or otherwise)