Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So I just cancelled my TeslaFi subscription...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been worried about this too. A bit far fetched but hear me out - Tesla has all this information already and what if their arm gets twisted and they release this information. Could we see a sudden surge of fixed penalties and the info stored used as evidence?! :eek:
That would be a disaster for Tesla as I suspect much of their customer base would have their license revoked and therefore have no need for their cars. Also, don't think I'd be keen on buying a car if I knew in advance that my driving data would be shared with the authorities.

I drive cautiously, but there have probably been 4 times during this ownership that I've travelled at 10%+1 above the speed limit if only briefly.

I looked at Teslamate and set it up to run on a Raspberry Pi, it kinda looked ok but is way more effort than is worth spending time on (for me).

Its the typical engineer viewpoint - why spend a small amount each year on a prepackaged cloud app when you can spend hundreds of dollars in parts, hours of your time (at your hourly rate) to do the same thing. Then spend even more time on the ongoing care and feeding, managing, backing it up, keeping it upgraded and patched etc etc. Then have it quit when your internet dies while you're on vacation and you have to talk your spouse though how to restart the server along with all the dependencies you need to make it work.
Not saying its wrong in any way, my home network is the same kind of deal. But as I get older and find that I've got better things to do with my time.
YMMV :D
So if you really love that stuff, get Teslamate it will be brilliant for you. If you want to login and be done, get TeslaFi.

I've been worried about this too. A bit far fetched but hear me out - Tesla has all this information already and what if their arm gets twisted and they release this information. Could we see a sudden surge of fixed penalties and the info stored used as evidence?! :eek:

Very good point. A couple of times I've only realised that I'd been speeding when looking at the data from a trip, usually just to see if I'd managed to beat my personal maximum power record . . .

My old dash cam used to have much the same trip recording feature, and I did wonder what might happen if the police ever got hold of the µSD card from that, say, after an accident.

Another concern might be if the data was made available to insurance companies. They already have policies for younger drivers that offer a discount if the driver accepts the use of data logging from the car, to show they haven't been speeding etc. Perhaps only a small step for the same sort of thing to find itself into normal insurance policies.

I'm sure Portugal isn't the only country that has the ability to do this already, and we should maybe feel a bit reassured that they don't.
Apart from a couple of major motorways with toll gates, you pay mini-tolls of 75c, €1.25 etc each time you pass a gantry that either triggers an onboard receiver or, if you haven't got one, reads the number plate. This can easily measure your average speed
I've broken the speed limit (a bit) consistently every time and have never got a ticket. (famous last words)
Any toll system that records the time you enter and leave could do this

I have enjoyed my free trial of Teslafi, some great info in there which satisfies the geek in me. I like the sound of Teslamate, but I have little knowledge of how to set it up. Do you need a Raspberry pi or can it be run on the likes of a Mac?

I have enjoyed my free trial of Teslafi, some great info in there which satisfies the geek in me. I like the sound of Teslamate, but I have little knowledge of how to set it up. Do you need a Raspberry pi or can it be run on the likes of a Mac?
if you have those types of questions best use TeslaFi :D
But if you want to be able to figure those questions out and learn how to built your Raspberry Pi installed the containerized version (maybe the easiest) then go for it - the geek in you will love it. (I installed it on a Model B Pi 3, I'd probably use a Pi4-B next time)

• Informative
Reactions: Empato and DaminGJ
I've been running Teslamate on a RPi 3B since around the time I bought the car towards the end of last year. It's never glitched, and I strongly suspect it would run just fine on the little ~£10 Raspberry Pi Zero W, as it uses next to sod all in terms of resources. FWIW, I run a Kodi streaming box on a RPI Zero W, and it works just fine at streaming 1080p from iPlayer etc, and that's massively more resource intensive than something like Teslamate. The advantages of using the RPI Zero W, other than the lower price, is that it also uses a lot less power and barely gets warm. The Raspberry Pi 4 gets pretty hot, even when it's not doing much.

I've been running Teslamate on a RPi 3B since around the time I bought the car towards the end of last year. It's never glitched, and I strongly suspect it would run just fine on the little ~£10 Raspberry Pi Zero W, as it uses next to sod all in terms of resources. FWIW, I run a Kodi streaming box on a RPI Zero W, and it works just fine at streaming 1080p from iPlayer etc, and that's massively more resource intensive than something like Teslamate. The advantages of using the RPI Zero W, other than the lower price, is that it also uses a lot less power and barely gets warm. The Raspberry Pi 4 gets pretty hot, even when it's not doing much.

I can confirm it does not run on a Pi 0 W, it's to do with the CPU type, rather than performance (I tried to set it up on one originally)

• Informative
Reactions: Glan gluaisne

I've put together a couple of guides here:
To run on a Pi: How to install TeslaMate on a Raspberry Pi without using a monitor - TeslaEV.co.uk
To run in the cloud (sadly limited to paid for options since AWS/GCP etc.. were blocked - DO is $5 per month after a free 2 months with a ref code): How to setup and run TeslaMate on a Digital Ocean Droplet server - TeslaEV.co.uk

I can confirm it does not run on a Pi 0 W, it's to do with the CPU type, rather than performance (I tried to set it up on one originally)

Thanks, that's interesting, and a bit curious, as the RPi Zero W seems to run most things OK, albeit a bit more slowly than the RPi 3B if lots of processing is required. I assume that this means that Teslamate also won't run on the older RPi A, as that's similar to the RPi Zero in many respects.

Thanks, that's interesting, and a bit curious, as the RPi Zero W seems to run most things OK, albeit a bit more slowly than the RPi 3B if lots of processing is required. I assume that this means that Teslamate also won't run on the older RPi A, as that's similar to the RPi Zero in many respects.

I think the 3 was the minimum spec from memory, there was a comment from Adrian that the 0 wouldn't be supported.

Shame, as like you say, it barely gives a regular Pi any stress at all

That would be a disaster for Tesla as I suspect much of their customer base would have their license revoked and therefore have no need for their cars. Also, don't think I'd be keen on buying a car if I knew in advance that my driving data would be shared with the authorities.

I drive cautiously, but there have probably been 4 times during this ownership that I've travelled at 10%+1 above the speed limit if only briefly.
Agreed it would be disaster, but it could be used as one of the pros for robotaxis and perhaps a way to "legalise" them. I'm not saying they will or won't, my concern is how much information is readily available with very little consent needing to give.

Btw Teslamate says its more than 4 times :p

I've put together a couple of guides here:
To run on a Pi: How to install TeslaMate on a Raspberry Pi without using a monitor - TeslaEV.co.uk
To run in the cloud (sadly limited to paid for options since AWS/GCP etc.. were blocked - DO is $5 per month after a free 2 months with a ref code): How to setup and run TeslaMate on a Digital Ocean Droplet server - TeslaEV.co.uk

I was able to follow step-by-step directions for installing and accessing Teslamate on a paid server, and I like it, but I'm not sure it's worth the $60 a year I'd be paying. I'm happy to have it on my home network only and would be willing to pay a $30 bounty to anyone that can give me step-by-step directions on how to install it and access it on my iMac using Docker.

I have the code from teslamate.org, but I don't know the first thing about setting up with Docker on my computer.

It needs to be set up on a machine that's on 24/7, really, so if hosting it at home then something low powered and silent that can be left on all the time. A Raspberry Pi is ideal, as it's cheap, silent, has wired and wireless connectivity, and can easily run Teslamate. I've been running Teslamate on a Raspberry Pi since last Christmas, without a glitch.

Someone could create a Raspberry Pi uSD card for you, but the snag with that is that they would need to know your Tesla account log in details, and, if you wanted it to connect using WiFi, your WiFi SSID and password, so that's a heck of a security risk.

@DaveW 's guide to installing it on a Raspberry Pi is pretty straightforward, though. The only thing you'd need to be able to do is edit atext files to enter your account details etc. You can do this using the text editor on a Mac easily enough, as long as you have a uSD card to USB adapter.

I was able to follow step-by-step directions for installing and accessing Teslamate on a paid server, and I like it, but I'm not sure it's worth the $60 a year I'd be paying. I'm happy to have it on my home network only and would be willing to pay a $30 bounty to anyone that can give me step-by-step directions on how to install it and access it on my iMac using Docker.

I have the code from teslamate.org, but I don't know the first thing about setting up with Docker on my computer.

Where are you stuck?