Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So.... I rejected my collection car today :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, a quick update 4 days later... I've heard nothing from Tesla at all (email, phonemail or otherwise)... but the V5C registration docs turned up today even though I rejected the car! :rolleyes::confused:

Tried calling the collection centre, but that number is disconnected. Not entirely sure how I get hold of Tesla now other than turn up at the collection centre again....

So, a quick update 4 days later... I've heard nothing from Tesla at all (email, phonemail or otherwise)... but the V5C registration docs turned up today even though I rejected the car! :rolleyes::confused:

Tried calling the collection centre, but that number is disconnected. Not entirely sure how I get hold of Tesla now other than turn up at the collection centre again....

Okay, I'm in a similar boat.

Suggestions from Tesla are;

1) Keep the car and wait for them to get around to resolving the issues [this could take some time]
2) Move your order to an inventory car [01628 450604]

I'm waiting for a LR to pop up in inventory and um'ing and ar'ing about upgrading to one of the performance inventory models.

Another quick update... Called the 01628 number and the advisor asked me to mail the V5 document back to the collection centre, but couldn't advise on what to do about an alternative car allocation. o_O

This all feels so haphazard.

Another quick update... Called the 01628 number and the advisor asked me to mail the V5 document back to the collection centre, but couldn't advise on what to do about an alternative car allocation. o_O

This all feels so haphazard.

Ugh. Yes, it does.

I've had a new appointment come through for next Tuesday but I've been warned to ignore emails and texts about appointments.

Yes, it's haphazard. If it goes well, it goes well. But there's no support for edge cases like the refusal of a car or a car not being ready for the customer.

I have also noticed intermittent rattling / squeaking sounds coming from under the dashboard on the passenger side. Is this normal and should just accept it’s just how they are put together? When I added this to be looked at as part of my SC visit next month they said I needed to agree to a £72 charge to cover the cost of investigation in case it’s not covered by warranty!!! Seriously I hope they are joking!

No it isn't normal! They don't rattle by design. So long as you are confident that you can reproduce the issue at the SC then I wouldn't be put off by the investigation charge. So long as there is a rattle you won't be charged.

Tesla been in touch today with new M3 performance replacement. I have to collect on the 30th though otherwise will have to wait again for another allocation if goes into October. Assume this is something to do with Q3 order deadline. Nearly 3 weeks since returning the first car :D

Therefore agreed to collect from Manchester on 30th. Given new vin and reg number.

Asked if the car had been repaired at any point so far, they check and told its been checked at Southampton when taken off the ship and no repairs. Fingers crossed no damaged during transportation to Manchester :( He did indicate that less damage to cars that come straight off the ship from Southampton rather than via Brugge o_O

Has there been a recent delivery of cars to Southampton?

Tesla been in touch today with new M3 performance replacement. I have to collect on the 30th though otherwise will have to wait again for another allocation if goes into October. Assume this is something to do with Q3 order deadline. Nearly 3 weeks since returning the first car :D

Therefore agreed to collect from Manchester on 30th. Given new vin and reg number.

Asked if the car had been repaired at any point so far, they check and told its been checked at Southampton when taken off the ship and no repairs. Fingers crossed no damaged during transportation to Manchester :( He did indicate that less damage to cars that come straight off the ship from Southampton rather than via Brugge o_O

Has there been a recent delivery of cars to Southampton?

Good news!

Yes, it seems that there has been a recent delivery - going by another poster here and some photos on Facebook.

Update: received an email on Saturday asking me to collect an hour later! (Yes, 1 hour later on the same day!)

Called CS, waited in the queue for 30 mins before getting through to somebody. They couldn’t even see what Vin I had been assigned although a new vin was showing in my Tesla account.

Arranged for collection today (Monday) after moving a bunch of work stuff around but just got a call telling me the car is not on site....:confused: I queried how it was “on site” 2 days ago but not anymore and they couldn’t answer. However they were *really* pushing me to collect ASAP or take a home delivery.:rolleyes: I told them I wasn’t willing to accept a home delivery because I want to inspect the vehicle at the collection centre.

Anyway, rearranged collection for Wednesday so let’s hope this one doesn’t have any issues, or at the very least, minimal issues :(

Update: received an email on Saturday asking me to collect an hour later! (Yes, 1 hour later on the same day!)

Called CS, waited in the queue for 30 mins before getting through to somebody. They couldn’t even see what Vin I had been assigned although a new vin was showing in my Tesla account.

Arranged for collection today (Monday) after moving a bunch of work stuff around but just got a call telling me the car is not on site....:confused: I queried how it was “on site” 2 days ago but not anymore and they couldn’t answer. However they were *really* pushing me to collect ASAP or take a home delivery.:rolleyes: I told them I wasn’t willing to accept a home delivery because I want to inspect the vehicle at the collection centre.

Anyway, rearranged collection for Wednesday so let’s hope this one doesn’t have any issues, or at the very least, minimal issues :(

Wow, and an hour later? Nuts. I had emails with collection dates that weren't real so maybe you had something similar too.

They are definitely getting agitated about deliveries now we're in the final few days.

And good on you for a collection centre pickup; it's much easier to get issues resolved that way.

Reactions: JS77
It seems pretty obvious that there is an edict from on high in Tesla that service centres have to try and get customers their cars by any means necessary if it means getting under the end of quarter wire.

I got my car delivered to my house under national lockdown, direct from the docks, by a random third party. Was a bit of a gamble at the time because I would not have had the opportunity to inspect, but at the time that was impossible anyway and I was too eager to get it. Worked out ok in the end (save for it having the wrong numberplates on) as it arrived under covered transport. Tesla were VERY keen for me to get the car.

I am sure you realise this but Wednesday is the last day of the quarter and they want it in the sales numbers. not suggesting that says anything about the quality of the car they are trying to push on you just why they are very very keen to off load it this week.
They may also be very busy which is not ideal for taking time for a careful inspection but I am sure you will stick to your guns

Reactions: JS77
I am sure you realise this but Wednesday is the last day of the quarter and they want it in the sales numbers. not suggesting that says anything about the quality of the car they are trying to push on you just why they are very very keen to off load it this week.
They may also be very busy which is not ideal for taking time for a careful inspection but I am sure you will stick to your guns

Yep, fully aware of their end of quarter deadlines! I imagine Wednesday will be manic but I’ll be as awkward as I need to be!

Final update on this sorry story just to bring it to a close...

I actually ended up getting a re-scheduled collection for yesterday (was supposed to be today). I arrived on time and was advised by a very helpful Tesla employee who recognised me from the week prior. He advised that the car was just being "prepped" and would go and check on it and bring it around.

Now, before I continue with the outcome, I have to express disappointment in the Sales Guy who I originally had the test drive with, and who was helpful the week prior when I rejected the first car... I won't name him but he told me he'd personally get a new car allocated, stay in touch and also to call him if I had any further questions or concerns. Well, I did call him the week prior... several times! I left a voice message and even txt him (he had provided his mobile number) when I was getting lots of random emails from Tesla and also when they sent me the V5 registration doc for the car I had rejected! Well, he never did call me again but upon arrival yesterday he seemed to be going out of his way to avoid me... even so far as to clearly making eye contact at least twice and then looking the other way or doing an about turn and walking away. I found it all very odd and have just put it down to the fact they are under so much pressure from Tesla to get new cars delivered before the quarter end, he doesn't want to get into a "why didn't you call me back" conversation.

Anyway, I digress...

So, the other helpful chap had been gone for about 15 minutes now, during which time 3 other customers had arrived to collect their cars, and 1 previous customer had brought the car back as it was making a "knocking sound"...

Eventually, the Tesla employee appeared and the look on his face told me everything. He told me that the car I'd been allocated did have 2 "paint issues" which he said was being prepped for repair right now... I was advised they could try and have the work complete in 3 hours if I was able to hang around. Being completely honest, I was just feeling drained at this point... there's only so many times Xmas day can be ruined! :D:rolleyes:

I asked if I could inspect the car and he arranged for it to be driven around to the front. Now, it wasn't as bad as I thought, but there were 2 clear dings on the passenger side and boot lid, the latter being worse. Looking around the car, the panel gaps and window trims were a lot better than the first car I rejected and the boot lid was flush with the window - much better than the previous 1cm+ drop off!

However, when I got inside, the first thing I noticed was how grubby both sun visors where... they had black hand prints all over them where clearly a technician with dirty gloves and quickly checked the car inside but failed to realise he was leaving marks everywhere. The headliner on the rear B-Pillar was also not quite stitched in right and looked to be coming loose, almost separating away from the roof. Oh, and the underside of the trunk was also only part painted, albeit better than the first car.

I think you can tell where this is going, and I know a lot of people will think I'm just being a nit-pick at this point, but in that moment I just kind of fell out of love with the Tesla purchase/ownership experience. All I could hear was the other customer complaining about the knocking sound from the car (also a 70 plate) and I just didn't want to be "that guy" in a week or month from now.

Speaking completely honestly, I could have accepted the car given they were prepared to complete the bodywork on the same day (Although that also raised a few questions) and they likely would have cleaned the interior and arrange to correct the frunk paint/interior at another time... but I just wasn't excited anymore. Interestingly, the sales guy who had been avoiding me was walking past so I stopped him and asked him to inspect the frunk. He told me "this is how they all are" which just didn't sound right to me (I actually asked the question in a separate thread and others have said there frunk underside was painted correctly). At that point he sort of started doing a sales pitch on me to try and take the car, which also rubbed me the wrong way.

Anyway, I had 3 options: Take the car and schedule in the work; Reject the car and ask to be matched with a different one (they actually suggested a different colour so as to avoid the paint issue with black cars); or reject and cancel the order.

I went with the 3rd option.:(

Again, I know my experience is unique and there are plenty of happy owners, but I'm just documenting my experience in the event it helps anyone else. This hasn't put me off Tesla, it's just made me realise that owning a Tesla isn't right for me right now. It's still a Gen1 product and has a Gen1 service infrastructure in my opinion, so I'll wait until vehicles start rolling off GigaBerlin and see what improvements (if any) have been made.

Feeling rather sullen yesterday, I was looking at other EVs and still nothing get's me as excited as Tesla. I just need to wait until the fit and finish matches my (perhaps old fashioned?) expectations.

• Informative
Reactions: CyberGus and Durzel
good for you for sticking to principles. let's hope they are learning from these events and feeling some pain, it's only that process that will get them to improve.

sorry it hasn't worked out and that your time has been seriously wasted. They just don't seem to get that when a failed / rejected order comes around again with a new vehicle, this is where they need 100% focus and customer service, not 5%.

only discovering issues at time of collection is a shambles and shows they are disorganised / don't care / think it's not their problem to keep customers happy. also shows a lack of accountability for their product.

email the salesperson and explain clearly why they lost a sale and point out that when they need that sale in the future, when all this furore has died down, they should be having a think about product and service quality. If you don't tell 'em they won't learn.

real shame to see you not get what you had hoped to get :(