Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So I went drag racing with White Fang. I need help with a setting.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem with a really smart car is it can sabotage you. OK here's what happened at Willow Springs International Raceway in Rosamond, CA, last night:

Race 1: Against a Model 3 Performance. I had him off the line and was pulling away. Suddenly the car slowed. It caught me by surprise. I stomped the go-pedal again to override whatever the problem was. He sailed past me and won. I checked the settings. I thought maybe Autopilot interfered, so I turned it and a bunch of other stuff off.

Race 2: Against a Dodge Charger Hellcat. The light turned green and he disappeared behind me. Again, car slowed at 85. This time I was quicker to recover. Beat the Dodge.

I parked in the pit area. Got into a chat with a couple Tesla experts. They turned off the 85 mph speed limit setting on my app. I have to use the app to turn that off?

Race 3: Against a Subaru (I think, it was dark, hard to see badges/logos.) The car did not slow. Yay! Beat him.

Race 4: Against a rail (pro dragster machine, tiny wheels up front, engine in the middle, seat, drag slicks out back, the whole assembly held together with a few steel rails). There was no way I could beat him. I lost by 2-3 car lengths. Come on, guys, put me against a car, will ya? And again, the car slowed at around 85. I had made no changes to settings. WTF?

And when the car slows, brake lights come on, which is just embarrassing. Who in blazes slows down in the middle of a drag race?

Next time I go racing, I do not want the car slowing like that. Any advice appreciated, thank you.

I've noticed some weirdness after the latest batch of updates surrounding driver profiles. As in, you change an in car setting on a specific profile, then switch to a different one and it doesn't save on the original. I've mainly noticed this switching from Easy Entry to my driver profile. But wondering if maybe you are seeing something similar. Maybe try disabling the speed limit when both profiles are active

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
Weird. I know when my battery heats up too much it does weird stuff. Almost sounds like it's going into protection mode. I would call the service center and get them to have a look at the logs.
Hard to see that being the case at an actual strip where there's a lengthy wait time between runs. I ran 4 back to back runs this past weekend on a closed road after fully heating the pack and it was only getting close to protection levels on the last run.

Hard to see that being the case at an actual strip where there's a lengthy wait time between runs. I ran 4 back to back runs this past weekend on a closed road after fully heating the pack and it was only getting close to protection levels on the last run.

The vehicle is pulling power for a reason under hard acceleration though. Definitely an issue. Would love to be able to blame issues like others on updates but doesn't sound like that's the case.

The vehicle is pulling power for a reason under hard acceleration though. Definitely an issue. Would love to be able to blame issues like others on updates but doesn't sound like that's the case.
Point taken. Highest draw is from 0-90ish, at least on my P90DL, I'd assume it holds a bit longer on the 100, especially a Raven. My point: If it pulls power, it does so at the pack and not just above some arbitrary vehicle speed value. And when it does, it's much more gentle. It does seem more likely that it's a vehicle speed restriction in this case, especially considering he removed it and the next run was unimpeded.

I've noticed some weirdness after the latest batch of updates surrounding driver profiles. As in, you change an in car setting on a specific profile, then switch to a different one and it doesn't save on the original. I've mainly noticed this switching from Easy Entry to my driver profile. But wondering if maybe you are seeing something similar. Maybe try disabling the speed limit when both profiles are active
Thank you!

Are you using Ludicrous Plus? I know there was a thread where the OP said after battery heating was complete that the car capped output because the battery was too hot at that point. Although I don't see it causing the car to brake stranger things have happened. Reading through I seem to remember it was a possibly a bug introduced in an update? I know I have had it happen once. Like when you are fully charged or too cold and you get yellow on the regen side of the power display, this shows yellow on the power side. Although I don't think letting off and stomping it again would fix this either.... Ah shoot, just spit-balling here really.... I do remember the OP of the other thread said he'd seem to go limp at about halfway down the track. Would you mind sharing what your 1/8th and 1/4 speed/times were?

Are you using Ludicrous Plus? I know there was a thread where the OP said after battery heating was complete that the car capped output because the battery was too hot at that point. Although I don't see it causing the car to brake stranger things have happened. Reading through I seem to remember it was a possibly a bug introduced in an update? I know I have had it happen once. Like when you are fully charged or too cold and you get yellow on the regen side of the power display, this shows yellow on the power side. Although I don't think letting off and stomping it again would fix this either.... Ah shoot, just spit-balling here really.... I do remember the OP of the other thread said he'd seem to go limp at about halfway down the track. Would you mind sharing what your 1/8th and 1/4 speed/times were?
Willow Springs dragstrip was the location, it's 1000 feet, not 1320. Time for that distance, as I recall, was 8.902. Do not know the 1/8th. I'm on the road at the moment, don't have that data with me. Yes, Ludi+ and Launch Mode.

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4