TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

** So If I Buy New, Finance, Then Sell in 3 Years.. How Much Financial Loss?? **

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by jeffreyjames, Sep 22, 2014.

1. jeffreyjames

jeffreyjames Member

Ok.. I'll start off by admitting, I failed Algebra.. Math isn't my strong suit.. So I'm asking your help in the following..

If I buy a $95,000 Tesla P85. Put the 10% down.. Then finance the rest over 72 Months.. (excellent credit) Then trade it in with say 45k miles in 3 years. With the buy back guarantee, what would you say, after my payments are made in the 3 years time:

A) What my car's estimated value would be?
    B) What my estimated loan balance would be?

Clearly I'm trying to figure out how upside down I would be after 3 years of ownership on a financed Tesla.

Again, I apologize for my mathematical ignorance, and if this is too vague of a question based on many possible factors.. Just trying to get a rough estimate..

Thx!

2. brkaus

brkaus Member

Assuming 4% interest and all taxes, etc are included in your $75k the remaining balance on the loan after three years would be roughly $39,476.72.

3. jeffreyjames

jeffreyjames Member

Well that's promising then.. I think they give 50% on base of car though, and a reduced rate (I've heard 42-48%? of upgrades) and the P85 is considered a $10k upgrade? I know I'm not rattling off firm data.. Looks like my build price is actually $90k.. Not sure how much those points factor in..

4. breser

breser AutoPilot Nostradamus

An absolute base P85 is $94,570. That of course doesn't count any incentives you may be eligible for (most notably the $7500 federal tax credit)

5. Vitaman

Vitaman Member

If you figure you are paying about 80K plus about 15K in options for a 95K car, the guaranteed buyback would be about 46,500.
    I don't think you would be "upside down".

6. jeffreyjames

jeffreyjames Member

My apologies, I meant the 85.. Big difference, my fault.

7. brkaus

brkaus Member

My understanding is that the terms of the loan/buyback program pretty much guarantee that your not underwater at the time you can have the car purchased back at the guaranteed price.

They will require down payment adequate to ensure that is the case.

8. kooljack

kooljack Member

From my understanding, the base price of any MS is the 60kwh i.e $71,070 and 50% of that. 85kwh, P85 and P85+ are all considered options and valued at ~40%

9. jeffreyjames

jeffreyjames Member

So to clarify, we get 50% of 71k, then 50% of anything on top of that?