Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So, I'm considering placing a public use EV Charger... What do I need to consider?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TOBASH

Supporting Member
I am looking at buying a building in Brooklyn, NYC. It has a parking area. I would like to help the EV community. I'm considering after hours EV parking and charging.

What do I need to consider?

(I'm tending towards asking for a small fee for time spent charging up in order to prevent my electrical costs from going crazy (i'm not looking to make a profit).)

Is this a fools errand or can I do this without too much stress?

Best,

T

I'd suggest using one of the charging networks such as ChargePoint, Blink, GreenLots, etc. That way they can handle billing customers and such for you and essentially you have to do nothing except get the unit installed.

You may also be able to contact Tesla about their free charging hardware for businesses looking to be added to their destination charger list if that is something that interests you. (Not sure details on that one though)

Note that Blink EVSEs have a reputation for not working. A non-working EVSE is worse than no EVSE.
It's probably just as easy to charge a bit more per hour for parking in a charging location as it is to use one of the EVSE companies. You're charging them for a parking space anyway, so billing isn't really an issue.

You also need to consider what kind of charging. High speed (HPWC, CHAdeMO, 70 amp J1772), or low speed NEMA 14-50 or 30 amp J1772. Clipper Creek is a good source for EVSEs. If you have weekly parkers (parkers that leave their car for a week or longer), a few 120V spaces will go a long way. The high speed chargers will bring in transient traffic. Low speed chargers are for those who stay most of the day.

Note that Blink EVSEs have a reputation for not working. A non-working EVSE is worse than no EVSE.
It's probably just as easy to charge a bit more per hour for parking in a charging location as it is to use one of the EVSE companies. You're charging them for a parking space anyway, so billing isn't really an issue.
This is the approach that the cities of Hanover and Portsmouth NH chose: they simply add a small surcharge for EVs charging, pay as you exit. This choice let them use much cheaper gear (e.g. Clipper Creek) with no monthly service charges. If you do decide to go with a networked EVSE, I would strongly urge that you use ChargePoint. ChargePoint's gear is very reliable, and it has excellent on-line (HTML and smartphone) access to check on charger status, begin charging sessions, etc.

This is the approach that the cities of Hanover and Portsmouth NH chose: they simply add a small surcharge for EVs charging, pay as you exit. This choice let them use much cheaper gear (e.g. Clipper Creek) with no monthly service charges.
How do the logistics of that work? Honor system (Tell the cashier "I used your charger while I was here, so go ahead and charge me extra")? Or are they trained to recognize EV's and surcharge them automatically? What if I charge for 2 hours, top off, then move to another space to free up the charger and park for 2 more?

I've never charged in Hanover, but I just assumed the charging charges were handled by the chargepoint EVSE's as a separate transaction.

I haven't used Hanover either; to activate the Portsmouth charger you need a special fob, which you check out from the nearby parking attendant, who then charges you on exit (and return of the fob) for the length of time you were parked. The assumption is that you charged throughout the time you were parked (and considering the low amperage at that station, that's probably the right assumption!).

In the OP's case, it sounds like the parking lot is small enough that the attendant would likely be aware of who was using the charger. Or perhaps the honor system would work.

In the DFW area, I'm been encouraging FREE charging for ALL EV's, for 3 years! We have Solar on our house & business, so technically, it cost us nothing. Use PlugShare to find results in your area. Tesla has encouraged free charging with their Destination Charging program, and several Green groups here are encouraging businesses to install free charging also.

Here is our business site in DFW: http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/14759
Our 45k Solar system charges all employee cars & provides all the energy our company needs, for a ZERO electric bill. The EPA recognized us here: http://www.epa.gov/greenpower/partners/partners/apexexpress.htm

And our house: http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/14760
Our 30k Solar system on our house provides all the juice we will ever need for our EV's & our house, with a ZERO electric bill. Quad-Copter video of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpIbxFv4_70
QuadHouse.jpg

Shine on!