Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So is it definitive for practical purposes that AWD and P have different hardware classifications?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the awd+ the proof is basically delivered. Yet folks don’t want to see the fact in front of them. Awd cannot software upgrade to 3P stealth.

You mean newer, 990 rear DUs, can't.

The 980s could of course since we know for a fact they're same part as the P has.

There is ZERO reason from Tesla’s perspective to not do this when they can make cash for free basically.

Of course there is.

See above.

They don't want to deal with massive user confusion on what type of DU they've got, why Tesla didn't "tell" them about this change when they ordered, and various other issues it would raise.

TESLA knows what came in the car- but the user generally does not (as evidence see a ton of posts right here).

And rather than piss off the 990 folks who will think they got screwed (and piss off the P buyers some of whom are STILL pissed about this half upgrade making their car somehow less valuable) they just went with the simple option that works for ALL cars.

What about the recent Stealths?

As far as anyone knows all Ps, ever, have come with a 980. As did 2018 AWDs (and some early 2019 AWDs)

There is ZERO reason from Tesla’s perspective to not do this when they can make cash for free basically.

I'm not sure that is true. I may be part of a small group, but I don't like having other cars upgraded after-the-fact. I purchased a P3D- partly to be ahead of the other, cheaper variants and I would not want to see any lesser cars promoted to a P-version. Now you can argue that Tesla does not care about that, and you may be right, but I ordered my P the day it was available. I paid the full -- and large -- delta that existed at that time. I did not take the $5k refund, which only partly adjusted the delta anyway, because I had been promised FUSD as part of my deal and I did not like having that evaporate due to Tesla's sales practices.

How could this impact Tesla financially? Well I am very interested in a Cybertruck. I would buy the highest-performing version they offer. Whether I buy it at release or not though is the question. There seems to be limited benefit to spending the extra cash up-front. That would be doubly true if Tesla starts throwing out P upgrades like candy (as many are clamoring for). Even this slight 0.5 second bump Tesla just sold to the AWD guys is annoying because it diminishes what I paid for up-front.

Tesla needs to balance how much they can make from these power fire sales versus how much they piss off early buyers of actual P cars. I think this will become even more of an issue as more "normal" buyers flock to the Tesla brand. And I don't give two sugars which motor is in which car.

Tesla needs to balance how much they can make from these power fire sales versus how much they piss off early buyers of actual P cars. I think this will become even more of an issue as more "normal" buyers flock to the Tesla brand.

I have mixed feelings on this, I did kinda like having my car be just a bit quicker than the other AWDs but I recognize in the end there are other factors as well. I made my stealth a tad slower by putting larger rims but I really like the brake upgrade I was able to do given that size rim.

I'd love to learn that the P is not maxed out and Tesla decides to present us a bit more of the drug (performance) ...

With the awd+ the proof is basically delivered. Yet folks don’t want to see the fact in front of them. Awd cannot software upgrade to 3P stealth. There is ZERO reason from Tesla’s perspective to not do this when they can make cash for free basically. Not a line of code needs to be written - after all my car was upgraded from awd to 3P. And Tesla OS now handles post sale upgrades. Yet here we are with just awd+. The talk about “oh hard to know which vehicle” is bologna. Tesla knows exactly what car has what. They know it for AP capabilities, for regional differences, for MCU capabilities, etc.

Somehow the notion of an erroneous software downgrade (always possible) and subsequent correction (not always possible) has been flipped to proof upgrades are possible. That’s not rational thinking.

This is not a software issue. But keep putting the blind fold on and pretend physics can be overcome via software.

#1 reason: give people half now for $2K ; allows you to months later offer the 2nd half for another $2K upgrade.

#2 reason: they wish to always maintain a large enough difference between AWD and performance cars so will never offer an OTA upgrade to AWD owners that equals performance software

I'm not sure that is true. I may be part of a small group, but I don't like having other cars upgraded after-the-fact. I purchased a P3D- partly to be ahead of the other, cheaper variants and I would not want to see any lesser cars promoted to a P-version. Now you can argue that Tesla does not care about that, and you may be right, but I ordered my P the day it was available. I paid the full -- and large -- delta that existed at that time. I did not take the $5k refund, which only partly adjusted the delta anyway, because I had been promised FUSD as part of my deal and I did not like having that evaporate due to Tesla's sales practices.

How could this impact Tesla financially? Well I am very interested in a Cybertruck. I would buy the highest-performing version they offer. Whether I buy it at release or not though is the question. There seems to be limited benefit to spending the extra cash up-front. That would be doubly true if Tesla starts throwing out P upgrades like candy (as many are clamoring for). Even this slight 0.5 second bump Tesla just sold to the AWD guys is annoying because it diminishes what I paid for up-front.

Tesla needs to balance how much they can make from these power fire sales versus how much they piss off early buyers of actual P cars. I think this will become even more of an issue as more "normal" buyers flock to the Tesla brand. And I don't give two sugars which motor is in which car.

Well, it is a lot more complicated than that.

Being an early adopter is never the "best" deal of anything. Regardless of what it is.TVs, Cars, Phones, Electronics, Etc, You name it, being an early adopter means you get to pay that tax. That's the price you pay for being first.

Reactions: TyH2009