Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So is our 215 mile M3 actually 193 mile car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Killing time waiting for the final reveal (that's what I'm doing a lot of these days), I was reading through this sticky thread over in the Model S area:
What should my ideal charge percentage be?

If you read that thread, you come away with the clear impression that you should only charge your Tesla to 90% (or even lower) unless you are going on a range trip. A 100% charge is bad. So, then 90% of 215 mile range is 193 miles. Now the Model S generally has greater range, so maybe this is an easy thing to do on MS. But for a 215 mile M3, you would feel it more. Just wondering if the base battery pack M3 is really expected to charge to only 90% / 193 (or less) to preserve battery longevity? If so, kinda makes me want the 75 kWh battery more than I thought initially....

PS- For full disclosure and my perspective, I have a 110 mile round trip daily commute ~4 days / week. Range may be more of a concern to me than others.

Oh woe are you, in chilly Southern California. :p

I should not be concerned about it.

I can think of how I could end up with a 110 mile round trip daily commute. But I wouldn't be concerned about it for range if I lived in Southern California because I'd be able to make it easily on a 90% charge.

Here in Maine, with a combination of cold and snow tires there would be times in winter where I think I'd do a 100% charge to be sure. Pre-conditioning would help reduce morning energy needed to heat the battery and the cabin.

The real concern with range charging is not so much doing it, as it is minimizing the time the car spends at 100%.

Oh woe are you, in chilly Southern California. :p

Freakin' Frosty in Maine. Last night at 3am it was a brisk 68°F in Portland and hit a blistering 77°F due the day. If you were buck naked and just got out of a bath of ice water, you'd dry off without a towel.

I'm about dead center of Southern California. Normal winter mornings in my driveway are in the forties, but will dip to the twenties, summers can touch 115°F but seldom are over 108°. SoCal has both the world's hottest place (134°F), and roads that require chains and dip below -20°F.

When we rode desert dirt/sand trails from Palmdale to Las Vegas (400mi) temps dipped to 22°F. Most folk think of deserts as hot. Only in the summer, and only in the daytime.

How much heavier is the 100D than the 75? So which Model S is the 3 20% lighter than?

We'd have to ask Elon on the specifics of his quote, but it was in response to margin trajectory. So in Elon's mind this is probably based on the cost of the materials themselves which is often based on weight. From his separate conversation with Tom Mueller regarding marginal cost of the Model S and comparing it to what they are doing at SpaceX we can confirm that he thinks in this manner. He may or may not have even included the battery weight which we know lighter weight per kWh in the Model 3.

In a financial call when trying to emphasize how inexpensive they can make these vehicles in order to increase margins, it's probably best to compare apples to apples.

It's very likely he was comparing a 60 kWh (non software locked) version to whatever they were going to make the base Model 3 ( before the Chevy Bolt range/capacity were announced ). Considering all the information from other sources, he's suggesting the marginal cost of the Model 3 will be around $15-24k since the marginal cost of Model S was $30k

And then we expect through economies of scale and just general design improvements to get another 30% improvement. So that's where the 50% improvement comes relative to the Model S. So, it's a sort of 35K versus 70K of Model 3 versus Model S is the way to think about the difference.

Last edited:
To be clear, I have ZERO anxiety issues about making a 110-mile commute in even the base model. It's about the 215 practically being 193 with recommended charging, then wear, then the what-if factor (once I arrive at work, then the wife says to meet at Disneyland, or ??).
Why not keep track of your daily mileage for a while until it is time for you to configure then you'll have a much better idea of what your requirements will be.

Reactions: JeffK
All these estimates are fine, but until you drive one and see what happens I would not count on them. Once i was driving from la back to sf with plenty of miles to spare and I passed a truck and went up a hill snd I made it home with 5 miles left. Really depends on driving conditions. I had to turn off ac and cruise at 55 to make it- try cruising at 55 on bay area freeways and look at all the angry drivers passing you lol

Don't forget, the Model 3 will be getting a totally new battery system and the more efficient motor, with the latest designed battery size.

Might be hard to extraplolate from current statistics what ranges might be available for the Model 3.

One of those things you might need to wait until EPA and the Configurator are released with the new options.

Until then...just busy work : >)