TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

So is wind noise really an issue?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by SoCalGuy, Apr 9, 2018.

1. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Active Member

Have read a fair amount on TMC and also seen too many YouTube reviewers that have commented about the noise in the M3, particularly the wind noise vs the S and Bolt.

Is this an issue with the newer builds? Has Tesla managed to reduce the apparent cabin noise with some hardware fixes/tweaks?

Thanks!

2. PoitNarf

PoitNarf My dog's breath smells like dog food

I really haven’t noticed any excessive wind noise myself when traveling at highway speeds. My previous car (Mustang) was pretty loud and I always drive with the music at a decent volume level so perhaps I just don’t notice it as much as some others would. The real test would be to have several Model 3 owners use a decibel meter app on their phone and record the cabin noise at various highway speeds.

3. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

The wind noise in my 3 is louder than that which I hear in my Model S, that's true, but not prohibitively or even annoyingly so. I simply noticed that the 3 was a bit noisier. I've had many cars louder and many cars that were quieter. It's simply a non-issue to me.

• Informative x 4
  4. Carotene

Carotene Member

At highway speeds it didn't wow me, nor did I find it unacceptable. If Mr Musk asked me personally if I'd rather have extra sound deadening at the expense of shorter range I'd tell him "no". It's fine where it is.

• Informative x 2
  5. RayK

RayK Active Member

^ This. That's my take from a rental I had a couple of months ago. I took the car up and down I-280 here in the Bay Area and noted that it seemed as loud as my 18 year old BMW 3-series. If that's truly the case, then I'm fine with it too.

6. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Active Member

Hmm good to know.

7. croman

croman Active Member

My S is pretty loud above 70mph, so I'm curious about any comparisons. I would think smaller aero would mean less noise if seals and sound deadening is equal.

8. Skidmark

Skidmark Member

Not an issue for me at all even up to 90mph

9. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Some reviewers have used a decibel meter and have determined it has just as much wind noise as other cars in its class. Obviously less noise is better, but we should note it's not abnormally loud.

• Informative x 1
  10. Dwdnjck

Dwdnjck Member

Wind noise is not a problem. Road noise is, but that is “road dependent”.

11. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Active Member

Trying to compare it to cars I know well... my Fisker is a bit loud at highway speeds and reasonably rough roads especially compared to my parents' Lexus ES which is noticeably quieter (e.g. you can have a conversation with each other without feeling like you're yelling). I can't remember the last time I was in an S at highway speeds so I'm not sure if its more like my Fisker or more like the Lexus in loudness/noise.

12. T34ME

T34ME Active Member

• Informative x 7
  13. itskv

itskv Member

The noise depends on where you are seated.
    S and 3 are comparable if you are to sit in the front seats, S is tad quieter.
    I've only sat in the Rear of an S on highway speeds and that noise is very noticeable. I have gotten feedback that the rear cabin noise in the S is louder than the 3.

14. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I tested with a DB meter app on my iPhone and found the 3 to be within 1 DB of the S at 65. So mine is quite quiet at 63 db with the S just a little quieter at 62. About the same as a normal conversation at home.

• Informative x 2
  15. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

#15 novox77, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    Just ran a test on my phone between my S and 3. Here are the results:

Road noise test (30mph)
    Model S: 48dB
    Model 3: 50dB

Wind noise test (70mph)
    Model S: 54dB
    Model 3: 57dB

Calm night - no wind. No traffic either. Road noise test lasted around 3min 30sec each. The numbers posted are the average for that duration. Wind noise test last around 1min 45sec.

Car details:
    2014 Model S 85 Michelin Primacy all seasons (stock)
    2018 Model 3 18" Aero stock tire, Feb 2018 build.

I consider both of my cars quieter than stuff I've driven in the past. Model 3 is a tad noisier than S according to the phone, but to my ears the difference is really minimal.

• Informative x 7
    • Helpful x 1
  16. MRPLUGIN

MRPLUGIN Member

I do not notice any abnormal wind noise , the car has more road noise than my MS, but the car costs half what my MS did when it was new, so I would not expect it to be as quiet. but probably close to most other small sedans.

17. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Active Member

Thanks - very helpful!

18. smartypnz

smartypnz Supporting Member

Initially, it was hard to measure road noise (because of the squealing noise coming from the back seat).
    But the 3, compared to the S is pretty close in that you can have a conversation using normal speaking levels even at highway speeds.

One of the first things we noticed in our S

19. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

Doesn't the wind noise depend on if Tesla installed the window seals/windshield/glass roof properly or not? That seems to be why some people have excessive wind noise.

• Like x 1
  20. bradhs

bradhs Member

What did you use to measure? dB or dB(A) or dB(C)?
    I did a quick test in my 2014 P85D with 22" rims PSS tires. New in rear, almost fully worn in front. 30 mph, 58-60 dbA, 70mph, 68 to 73 dbA.