Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So, Just hung up from an unexpected and very interesting phone call from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you a Sig res? Sorry if I missed it, could not figure out.
They just cold-called me at home and said this exactly: "We have open production slots open right now and if I configure immediately, my car will go into production before end of March".

I said basically thanks but no thanks. I want to sit in it and take a nice look at my own pace and not at a specialized event with other people buzzing around. Not interested. I want to see it in the showroom under my own timeline. And when I'm ready, I'll pull the trigger. Not one second before.

He said, how about if I can get one to you? My mouth hit the ground, I was stunned. Again, I declined. It's great they want to go the extra mile, but it felt a little desperate. There are obviously a lot of people, way more than we thought, that are not hitting the order button. They don't cold-call order holders offering production slots if there is a long list of completed orders waiting in the cue.

now all the sudden you are annoyed......this is what i have been trying to say.

No I'm not going to be annoyed with just a post. I was only curious. I was actually ready for late summer delivery because of onyx wheel but I did get a VIN assigned two weeks ago. I could still get mine delivered by end of this month athough it's getting tight.

I got a similar cold call this morning too, but slightly different facts for me. I placed my reservation on 2/26/16 and confirmed my 70D order last friday. The rep told me if I was willing to "upgrade" to a 90D or P90D, I could take delivery "by the end of this month." I didn't really ask too many questions, since I'm not interested (and can't afford) the 90, but the call also got me thinking many of the same things that were already mentioned.... low confirmed orders, lots of reservation holders "waiting", end of the quarter, etc.

I got a similar cold call this morning too, but slightly different facts for me. I placed my reservation on 2/26/16 and confirmed my 70D order last friday. The rep told me if I was willing to "upgrade" to a 90D or P90D, I could take delivery "by the end of this month." I didn't really ask too many questions, since I'm not interested (and can't afford) the 90, but the call also got me thinking many of the same things that were already mentioned.... low confirmed orders, lots of reservation holders "waiting", end of the quarter, etc.
Looks like they might discontinue the 70D due to the lack of orders and give the current 70D order holders a 90D but limit the battery to 70kWh like they did with the 40kWh Model S.

Also, did you get any updates on when the 70D will be delivered?

Last edited:
There is a $2500 tax credit in California that is almost expired. I think, like Norway last year, Tesla is making extra efforts to get customers over that particular deadline.

That's only for people who are single filers with adjusted gross income above $250k, or married filers with AGI > $500k. If you don't fall in those groups, the $2500 rebate will still be available. If you make 3x the federal poverty level or less, the rebate goes up to $4000.

https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/eng/information-fiscal-year-2015-16-income-limit-changes

This is getting stranger and stranger now. Are you taking delivery in Honolulu or Fremont?

A coworker finalized his 90D in December but he has not gotten his VIN yet. That's factory delivery too.

Looks like they might discontinue the 70D due to the lack of orders and give the current 70D order holders a 90D but limit the battery to 70kWh like they did with the 40kWh Model S.

It's not the same situation. They did not make or test 40 kWh battery that time but there is already 70 kWh battery now used on the S.

Last edited:
This is getting stranger and stranger now. Are you taking delivery in Honolulu or Fremont?

A coworker finalized his 90D in December but he has not gotten his VIN yet. That's factory delivery too.

It's not the same situation. They did not make or test 40 kWh battery that time but there is already 70 kWh battery now used on the S.

Delivery in Honolulu. I didn't ask about the timing for delivery of my 70, but the rep I spoke with when I confirmed my order said it would probably be sometime in August or September (which probably means October in Tesla time).

Delivery in Honolulu. I didn't ask about the timing for delivery of my 70, but the rep I spoke with when I confirmed my order said it would probably be sometime in August or September (which probably means October in Tesla time).

I might be willing to upgrade to a almost fully loaded 90D if they are willing to waive the $500 fee.

I doubt they'd put a 90 pack in a 70 car. Doesn't make sense economically, plus they already have the 70 packs from the S, so it's not like it's a different part. I didn't ask on the cold call, since they caught me on the road and I wasn't focusing on the call, but when a rep called me to confirm my order last week, he mentioned I'm looking at delivery in August or September. October is probably a more realistic bet though in Tesla time, plus it takes about 2-3 weeks to ship the car over from Oakland or Long Beach via boat.

I got the distinct impression that the fee would be waived if I said yes to the upgrade. I didn't specifically ask, but again, I just had a feeling about it. Unfortunately, the increase in price is out of the question for me.

I will wait for a call first, as they may not waive it if I show interest in upgrading and call. I initially ordered a almost loaded 90D but before confirming I dropped to a 70D without the premium package (still got autopilot, tan seats, 6 seater) I plan on using the savings for the Model 3