Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So, Just hung up from an unexpected and very interesting phone call from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They just cold-called me at home and said this exactly: "We have open production slots open right now and if I configure immediately, my car will go into production before end of March".

I said basically thanks but no thanks. I want to sit in it and take a nice look at my own pace and not at a specialized event with other people buzzing around. Not interested. I want to see it in the showroom under my own timeline. And when I'm ready, I'll pull the trigger. Not one second before.

He said, how about if I can get one to you? My mouth hit the ground, I was stunned. Again, I declined. It's great they want to go the extra mile, but it felt a little desperate. There are obviously a lot of people, way more than we thought, that are not hitting the order button. They don't cold-call order holders offering production slots if there is a long list of completed orders waiting in the cue.

They just cold-called me at home and said this exactly: "We have open production slots open right now and if I configure immediately, my car will go into production before end of March".

I said basically thanks but no thanks. I want to sit in it and take a nice look at my own pace and not at a specialized event with other people buzzing around. Not interested. I want to see it in the showroom under my own timeline. And when I'm ready, I'll pull the trigger. Not one second before.

He said, how about if I can get one to you? My mouth hit the ground, I was stunned. Again, I declined. It's great they want to go the extra mile, but it felt a little desperate. There are obviously a lot of people, way more than we thought, that are not hitting the order button. They don't cold-call order holders offering production slots if there is a long list of completed orders waiting in the cue.

Another way to look at this is they are providing exceptional service to potential customers and allowing customers who are interested in purchasing a Model X the option of seeing the vehicle up close before finalizing the order.

Isn't this exactly what some had wanted? If they are really that desperate for orders they will open up the Design Studio for new orders immediately and they have yet to do that. Seems they are being fair in giving those who have made inquiries the first chance to place an order before opening up the Design Studio.

This is likely also an indication that they are ramping up production. All good news.

Think you are right lots of reservations not so many orders. I think they need to get the Model X in the SC's for people to see and drive at their leisure. I believe the X is still a hit but the way they are doing it is not.

Interesting. I would definitely take them up on an offer to get a closer look at it. I didn't get a good enough look during the event on Saturday and only had a couple minutes sitting in the other demo. I'm not going to make a $100k decision after only 10 minutes in the car.

I agree, if they really wanted to ramp up reservations and orders, they would just open the design studio. I also want an X soon, and asked the TM staff if i could get someone else's reservation, but that is not possible, which is fair to others.

ps also just the other weekend test drove a p90dl, first car i've test driven in many years, and wow! I can't see why anyone's next car will be ICE, esp with M3 on the horizon.

Another way to look at this is they are providing exceptional service to potential customers and allowing customers who are interested in purchasing a Model X the option of seeing the vehicle up close before finalizing the order.

Isn't this exactly what some had wanted? If they are really that desperate for orders they will open up the Design Studio for new orders immediately and they have yet to do that. Seems they are being fair in giving those who have made inquiries the first chance to place an order before opening up the Design Studio.

This is likely also an indication that they are ramping up production. All good news.

Another way to look at this is they are providing exceptional service to potential. Seems they are being fair in giving those who have made inquiries the first chance to place an order before opening up the Design Studio.

We in Canada are loosing our patience as all the reservation holders in Europe and China have been invited .UK and Canada have been left out. So many waiting here to push the order button ASAP.

We in Canada are loosing our patience as all the reservation holders in Europe and China have been invited .UK and Canada have been left out. So many waiting here to push the order button ASAP.
I haven't been keeping up. Are there homologation delays for Canada and UK? IIRC, this was an issue for Model S.

Can we re discuss this after your 10 minutes in the car ?

I heard/read this from soooo many potential buyers. Once you are kinda ok with the financial part of it (i.e. you can get the loan/afford it), if you drive the car, I am certain you will get it after 10 minutes.

These are amazing cars, that drive like nothing else. They make you feel good, give you a smile for months and make you want to go on road trips. I don't see any bad surprise you could get from the car, really.

Now expensive, yes, very expensive, yes also. but the car is a blast

Can we re discuss this after your 10 minutes in the car ?

I heard/read this from soooo many potential buyers. Once you are kinda ok with the financial part of it (i.e. you can get the loan/afford it), if you drive the car, I am certain you will get it after 10 minutes.

These are amazing cars, that drive like nothing else. They make you feel good, give you a smile for months and make you want to go on road trips. I don't see any bad surprise you could get from the car, really.

Now expensive, yes, very expensive, yes also. but the car is a blast

It's a great car and I can afford it. However, if it doesn't meet my cargo needs then it isn't the right car for me. I don't know if it will meet my cargo needs since I only had a few minutes in the car. I wasn't even able to sit in the rear seats with closed falcon wing doors. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my tape measure along so I couldn't measure and see for myself how things would fit. Maybe Tesla could provide some different sized stuffed animals to simulate different sized dogs or provide some cardboard boxes to simulate dog crates or other cargo. :) It might seal more than one deal.

You've got me curiosity. How much time do you need with the car? I don't think I've spent more than ~30 minutes evaluating any of the cars I've purchased. Sure I do research ahead of time, but that's different.

I was on the test drive for 10 to 15 minutes but only in the driver's seat. I got to spend a few more minutes in the rear of another car but never got to sit in the car with the doors closed. I don't really need a lot of time with the car but I need to know if the non-folding seats will be able to accommodate my cargo and dogs.

It's one thing to spend $1000 on a TV or appliance. It takes a lot more commitment to spend $100k on a car that I plan to have for quite some time. Again, I was hoping to be able to have one car that meets all of my needs. If it doesn't then I'd end up keeping my current car (which has met my needs for 19 years) or end up getting two new cars to replace the current vehicle.

This is interesting - I configured a car, and Tesla called me the following day also. I thought wow, that's service; but as other commenters say, maybe they are not getting as many orders as they need right now to keep the plant running. Consider also - if they have problems getting certain parts (i.e., for Model X) they will want to build more Model S's so that the line doesn't stand idle.

BTW, all I did in the call was ask to set up a test drive - which is scheduled for Mar. 16.

Come on, I know we're fanboys here, but .... nobody saying it isn't great customer service, that's not the point. The point is, they do NOT have enough orders committed to fill the slots at the end of the month yet or they wouldn't be making the call in the first place. It's a math problem. They aren't calling out of the goodness of their heart.

I don't think there's an issue, it's just interesting, and I just think there are a lot of people in my position; I simply am not ordering a very expensive piece of machinery until I get the time with it I want the way I want it. Obviously, I'm not alone.

I think Tesla is making a mistake not making 75 Models X's and just letting everyone drool over them at the dealer. I would have ordered already. And I think there must be a reason for it. The doors, maybe? Something else? Who knows...

It's great they want to go the extra mile, but it felt a little desperate. There are obviously a lot of people, way more than we thought, that are not hitting the order button. They don't cold-call order holders offering production slots if there is a long list of completed orders waiting in the cue.

It's a bit late to have any orders to start production and make delivery in this quarter outside of the western U.S., and likely only in CA at this point. So they're probably shaking the reservation/order lists to see if any one would be willing to take those high end config slots for delivery in CA before moving on.

It's a great car and I can afford it. However, if it doesn't meet my cargo needs then it isn't the right car for me. I don't know if it will meet my cargo needs since I only had a few minutes in the car. I wasn't even able to sit in the rear seats with closed falcon wing doors. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my tape measure along so I couldn't measure and see for myself how things would fit. Maybe Tesla could provide some different sized stuffed animals to simulate different sized dogs or provide some cardboard boxes to simulate dog crates or other cargo. :) It might seal more than one deal.

I was on the test drive for 10 to 15 minutes but only in the driver's seat. I got to spend a few more minutes in the rear of another car but never got to sit in the car with the doors closed. I don't really need a lot of time with the car but I need to know if the non-folding seats will be able to accommodate my cargo and dogs.

It's one thing to spend $1000 on a TV or appliance. It takes a lot more commitment to spend $100k on a car that I plan to have for quite some time. Again, I was hoping to be able to have one car that meets all of my needs. If it doesn't then I'd end up keeping my current car (which has met my needs for 19 years) or end up getting two new cars to replace the current vehicle.

Have you tried asking in your region/state forum if anyone nearby has an X you can visit? You could take measurements, sit in the seats, and maybe even drive it if they allow it.

OP, quick question, what kind of reservation do you have? (Signature, production, founder by referral) Did you make the reservation a long time ago?

I'm curious if they're trying to help early reservation holders make a decision by identifying those who haven't placed and order and trying to figure out why they haven't. If there are folks who've made reservations and have yet to be invited to configure the idea that Tesla is running out of cars to build doesn't seem too likely. I dunno, I've given up trying to read the Tesla tea leaves.

I simply am not ordering a very expensive piece of machinery until I get the time with it I want the way I want it.

What way is that? You already told us:

He said, how about if I can get one to you? My mouth hit the ground, I was stunned. Again, I declined.

So we know you can get one presented to you, at your home, to pile your entire family, and everything you have at home that you may take with you on a trip. Then you can even drive it around. I don't get it. How could Tesla do anything more for you? Unless you want to keep the car overnight before deciding?

Or perhaps you are not all that serious, which is fine too, but just don't make up excuses.