Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So, Just hung up from an unexpected and very interesting phone call from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same here. Same vehicle (P90DL), same area (San Francisco), and almost the same order (12/29/15) and confirmation date (1/5/16). I got a VIN recently like everyone else, but still no indication of when this car will be delivered. The whole process seems pretty haphazard...

You can find the hiden estimated delivery date as mentioned in the TM thread (link below). Mine was late March to April but just changed to March 17- March 31 today. No contact from my DS about delivery yet though. We'll see.

https://forums.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/delivery-date-hiden-source-my-tesla-page

Last edited:
Right! "empty spots". As in spots not filled in yet by confirmed orders. My point exactly.
I think people are taking exception with your conclusion (that they don't have a long list of completed orders). They may very well have a long list of completed orders, but some slots left in configuration they are producing right now (90D and 7 or 6 seats). From how they have done the Model S, they make cars in batches (not in order). Your conclusion does not necessarily follow from the facts so far (I believe a couple of people have made the same point already).

And the response to you by some is a reaction to some red flags: new member / low post count, new thread with a previously unheard of claim, pessimistic conclusion (with potential impact on stock price). We had too many cases of people matching those red flags and turning out to be shorters. This seems to be a phenomenon that mainly affects Tesla forums and not so much other car forums (I guess their stock prices don't have the same volatility of TSLA).

You can find the hiden estimated delivery date as mentioned in the TM thread (link below). Mine was late March to April but just changed to March 17- March 31 today. No contact from my DS about delivery yet though. We'll see.

https://forums.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/delivery-date-hiden-source-my-tesla-page

Yes I dug through the page source and saw that. I was just going to say that mine still says Late March - April, but now refreshing the page I see the date is no longer hidden and says

Your estimated delivery date is March 24, 2016 - March 31, 2016

Exciting news!

I think people are taking exception with your conclusion....
And the response to you by some is a reaction to some red flags: new member / low post count, new thread with a previously unheard of claim, pessimistic conclusion (with potential impact on stock price). We had too many cases of people matching those red flags and turning out to be shorters. This seems to be a phenomenon that mainly affects Tesla forums and not so much other car forums (I guess their stock prices don't have the same volatility of TSLA).

Yes.
And the fact that op started by complaining that he wants to see the car in person on own time and Tesla offers to drop one off and the response was " again, I declined ". ?

Wtf?

Since that make no sense for a legitimate rational buyer, it only seems to make sense as someone who is trying to manufacture controversy.

And the defensive response that affects world-weariness "I've-been-around-the- internet-block... Oh those guys in the forums" doesn't help either.

Yes.
And the fact that op started by complaining that he wants to see the car in person on own time and Tesla offers to drop one off and the response was " again, I declined ". ?

Wtf?

Since that make no sense for a legitimate rational buyer, it only seems to make sense as someone who is trying to manufacture controversy.

And the defensive response that affects world-weariness "I've-been-around-the- internet-block... Oh those guys in the forums" doesn't help either.

I agree. That was my reaction when I first saw the thread.

I was like wait, so you did not want to order one without seeing it and spending time in it and here someone is offering personal service to drive one to you so you can have time with the vehicle and now that's somehow a horrible option. Any serious buyer would have jumped on that very considerate offer from Tesla.

Not sure there's much else to this thread.

Thread is being quoted in The Fool today.
Article author Evan Niu puts "Cold Call" in "Quotes" as I would. (Just a nit, picked. Calling a reservation holder about their reservation would not fall under "Cold Call" in my very VERY humble opinion.
Others' opinions may vary and There's Nothing Wrong With That.)

Thread is being quoted in The Fool today.
Article author Evan Niu puts "Cold Call" in "Quotes" as I would. (Just a nit, picked. Calling a reservation holder about their reservation would not fall under "Cold Call" in my very VERY humble opinion.
Others' opinions may vary and There's Nothing Wrong With That.)

Very true, but it sounds more demeaning so they went with that rather than, "Some who had reserved the Tesla Model X pleasantly surprised by being called to offer a quicker delivery". Some people are never happy and the Tesla haters do what they can to mine that.

Yes.

Wtf?

Not to mention up to VIN 5000 has been assigned this week while many forum members, even those who have ordered P90D, are still waiting. Extra production slots to be filled makes absolutely no sense.

Not to mention up to VIN 5000 has been assigned this week while many forum members, even those who have ordered P90D, are still waiting. Extra production slots to be filled makes absolutely no sense.

But seriously what difference does it make.

This whole thread makes no sense.

It is ostensibly based on someone who had expressed interest in purchasing a Model X and seems to be not serious about buying one when offered the opportunity to experience an X in person. What else is there?

The sooner we stop posting on this thread the sooner this thread will go the way of the OP's actual interest in purchasing a Model X :wink:

I think people are taking exception with your conclusion (that they don't have a long list of completed orders). They may very well have a long list of completed orders, but some slots left in configuration they are producing right now (90D and 7 or 6 seats). From how they have done the Model S, they make cars in batches (not in order). Your conclusion does not necessarily follow from the facts so far (I believe a couple of people have made the same point already).

Point taken, but I don't have a "conclusion". I shared the call and made a hypothesis. Other people, including you, have a different hypothesis (fine!) and since none of us work for TSLA and have access to their internal metrics, we just don't know.

Come on, this board is made of amazing people. And it's also made of fanboys who act just like Apple fanboys, which means, you cannot have a dissenting vote without being crushed by the mob. I really don't mind. It's adorable and the passion is real.

And, I'm long TSLA stock, again, I AM LONG TSLA STOCK! I don't know how much more I can say it. I'm not a short. For my own selfish capitalist reasons, I want TSLA to go UP.

Lastly, and i mean it, if you think this thread is affecting TSLA stock movement, you don't understand how this works. The FOOL, by the way, ended with this sentence:

"More than likely, Tesla is just being proactive with its service and delivery, gently nudging reservation holders to click the big red button"

That's a great, factually correct sentence! What more could you want? I think they have slots open (for whatever reason you want to believe) but they want my 5K locked in more than anything and who can blame them. But I stand by my original observations: lots of people haven't clicked "order" yet. They're waiting, just like me, for things to shake out, a showroom experience, free doughnuts, who knows. But they ARE waiting. And there's nothing wrong with waiting. I'm willing to bet most, like me, are going to wait until they have it just they way they want it in their mind and will hit order. It'll just be on our terms.

PS: My TSLA sales dude and I had an interesting talk today about this. And he agrees, I'm taking a big risk by waiting because he feels, as do I, that once it hits showrooms, the orders are going to come flooding in and not just from reservation holders but from new orders too.

Last edited:
I highly doubt the legitimacy of this phone call or the fact that it was ever made.

I think it is real, but opinions can, and do, vary.

A data point: My wife and I drove the X yesterday as part of the 'X drive event across America (my name for it) that was open only to reservation holders that had not confirmed. It was very busy and all the Xs were being used (except a floor model you could view/sit in) while you were waiting for your turn to drive.

There were Sigs and Production reservation holders.

It is a single data point and may mean nothing...but, IMO, it gives some legitimacy to the notion that people do want to see/sit in/drive the X before committing to buy one.