Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So many active versions - Why ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jeremymc7

Feb 3, 2013
U.S.
Based on TeslaFi there are currently 40 active versions of the software right now! Why?

Sure a large chunk only have 1 or 2 cars; and some people are just not upgrading by choice or whatever.

But this in the largest amount of active versions I personally have seen all at once. Looking at it there's about 7 or so major active versions as well right now. I'd except there would be less major clustering of versions.

I agree, 40 is a larger than expected number. I suspect this is an artifact of the way SW is rolled out.. each version is like a wave spreading over the pond of Tesla vehicles, and a new wave is launched before the previous one has propagated through the whole pond. Of course it's slightly more complicated, with some versions only propagating briefly before a bug is discovered and the next wave quickly launched. That, coupled with different communities (early adopters, normal adopters, late adopters, never adopters) and a number of "special" cases (didn't want to call them runt cases, or luddites, or some such) results in a large number.

Last edited:
Reactions: APotatoGod
Seems reasonable. However in such a scenario I see the pool continuing to widen then. Unless the process is changed, ie forced upgrade (or loose functionality) as the pool deepens.
I agree. I don't see how upgrades can be forced, though. If a customer doesn't want the new features, or a car is not connected to wifi or LTE for a long period, it's gonna not be touched by any wave.

I agree. I don't see how upgrades can be forced, though. If a customer doesn't want the new features, or a car is not connected to wifi or LTE for a long period, it's gonna not be touched by any wave.

Forced an in if you want to continue to use say LTE services you need to upgrade your version. Or forced in if you us to service a broken computer you need to upgrade the version and we no longer stock the old part (Past 7-10 years) and the new drop in replacement requires a new version.

From what I recall hearing Tesla announced they were already doing this or going to do it.

Of course there’s a whole cottage industry that seems to be getting larger that repairs boards Tesla won’t repair, created their cars an custom chipsets, hacking the software.

So there’s a way around things. But there’s always a downside to do it this way too. Tesla my guy refuse to work on something related to a hack done to a required functioning part.

Certainly new services that rely on new SW cannot be offered to old SW versions, but I suspect that unless there is a SW incompatibility created by refusing to upgrade, there may be legal repercussions to withholding paid for services (like LTE services), not to mention customer resentment created by being forced to do anything. Much depends on how any SW license agreement that accompanies SW is written.

And those who hack are always on their own, so I'm discounting that demographic at any rate.