Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So many choices, should I avoid the salvaged one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm buying a Tesla in a couple of months and have looked at some CPO MS but am leaning towards the M3 SR+ because of technology and its the size I need. A good friend of mine who is an excellent mechanic recently purchased a LR M3 with EAP (2k miles) that was salvaged due to an accident. Its basically some body work to the front end and that's it. I think he wants about 35k for that which is a steal for all that you get, but what worries me is the lack of warranty (none) and possibly no supercharging. He has yet to get it recertified through Tesla but that is the plan. I know that only ensures they will fix problems but it will be out of pocket, which could get expensive. Currently, its still on the network and received a request for an update. Its a big risk and I'm leaning towards a new SR+ but its hard to pass up. Any advice is welcomed.

I'm buying a Tesla in a couple of months and have looked at some CPO MS but am leaning towards the M3 SR+ because of technology and its the size I need. A good friend of mine who is an excellent mechanic recently purchased a LR M3 with EAP (2k miles) that was salvaged due to an accident. Its basically some body work to the front end and that's it. I think he wants about 35k for that which is a steal for all that you get, but what worries me is the lack of warranty (none) and possibly no supercharging. He has yet to get it recertified through Tesla but that is the plan. I know that only ensures they will fix problems but it will be out of pocket, which could get expensive. Currently, its still on the network and received a request for an update. Its a big risk and I'm leaning towards a new SR+ but its hard to pass up. Any advice is welcomed.

Not a good deal in relation to new by any means.

I would never buy a salvaged car. If the damage was not serious they would not declare the car as salvage. They'd simply repair it. "Salvage" and "minor damage" are incompatible terms. The car has serious damage. Offer $5,000 and be willing to negotiate up to $5,500.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
Pricey for a salvage title.
My coworker bought a salvaged brand new flood damaged fisker karma for $6K at an auction.
He spent $18K to get it running again.
Salvage title should be dirt cheap and not close to a price of a new Model 3 whatever package it has.

Reactions: Jsorell
I would never buy a salvaged car. If the damage was not serious they would not declare the car as salvage. They'd simply repair it. "Salvage" and "minor damage" are incompatible terms. The car has serious damage. Offer $5,000 and be willing to negotiate up to $5,500.

Here is the thing with salvaged vehicles, they can be marked as salvage with a fender bender. I have seen situations when a bumper, hood, fender and a headlight needed to be changed to get the car back on the road.

ICE salvaged vehicles can be a great bargain. I have purchased two salvaged vehicles and have never had any issues. However with the SC situation, it's a bit risky buying a second hand Tesla due to the chance of getting cut off.

A good friend of mine who is an excellent mechanic recently purchased a LR M3 with EAP (2k miles) that was salvaged due to an accident. Its basically some body work to the front end and that's it. I think he wants about 35k for that which is a steal for all that you get, but what worries me is the lack of warranty (none) and possibly no supercharging. [...]Any advice is welcomed.

Don't do it.

If you are asking these questions and having all these doubts when buying from a "good friend", imagine what the future buyer of your used salvage title TM3 will think and feel when they contemplate purchase from a total stranger (you)!?!

To be titled as "salvage", the car must not have been economically viable to fix properly.
The only way it looks OK now, is if the body shop took short-cuts to get it out the door for less money and effort than it would have cost to fix it properly?
How do I know that?
Because fixing it properly was deemed non-viable by the insurance company, that gave up on it and sold it with "salvage" title.

Don't be the sucker!

Last edited:
Don't do it.

If you are asking these questions and having all these doubts when buying from a "good friend", imagine what the future buyer of your used salvage title TM3 will think and feel when they contemplate purchase from a total stranger (you)!?!

To be titled as "salvage", the car must not have been economically viable to fix properly.
The only way it looks OK now, is if the body shop took short-cuts to get it out the door for less money and effort than it would have cost to fix it properly?
How do I know that?
Because fixing it properly was deemed non-viable by the insurance company, that gave up on it and sold it with "salvage" title.

Don't be the sucker!

I would never own a M3 without a warranty, my car has had more than $7K in warranty work. I have a salvaged car before and it was under warranty from Tesla and it needed thousands in work. Repairs on a Tesla can get very expensive and you don't want to risk being blacklisted.