Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So Many Firmware Versions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a similar thread about this
Update versioning

There really is no need for frustration and anger over a software update - just understanding. :cool:
This is regular agile development in action - it actually shows a massive amount of development work.

The reason for all of the releases could be the uniqueness of the Tesla production and it reacting to the many component changes they have had to make to keep the lines running. Some of the components sourced during the ongoing shortage may not be drop in replacements for each other, so software would have to be adjusted to allow for that.
Each of the the different releases will be slightly different and be there to allow for specific branches of the code.
You can see that pattern in action on services like TeslaFi, you'll see the minor numbers incrementing in steps. Then a different branch doing the same as they correct found issues. You can see that lots of 12.25.7 is going out while the first few are getting 12.25.10 with a tiny number on the semi mythical 2021.24, all running at the same time as 4.21.x and 4.18.x
Sometimes you'll see obvious branches that focus on S/X and others on 3/Y only to be later merged into one, other times the reason for the branch is much more esoteric and could even be based on the drivers usage, car location or battery charging methods for instance.
Sooner or later all these various branches will merge and disappear.
Except it would be super easy to make a new feature branch from 2021.4.18.10 with the few UI improvements and skyforce reloaded —cherry pick those commits in …. unless their developers are putting too many changes in each commit — but I doubt something that is UI only would cross over into the different hardware components, especially when it is a battery display color or something.

Except it would be super easy to make a new feature branch from 2021.4.18.10 with the few UI improvements and skyforce reloaded —cherry pick those commits in …. unless their developers are putting too many changes in each commit — but I doubt something that is UI only would cross over into the different hardware components, especially when it is a battery display color or something.
maybe worth checking how agile development works - but it isn't how you suggest.
The point is that those other features are being developed on a different branch - you don't just "cherry pick" across all the different branched based on whim.
This stuff is enterprise level software development on a huge and wide ranging code base.

I'm wondering why we are getting so many updates at all. What's behind it? Most of them do not bring significant changes, as far as I can tell. I have a few hypotheses:
  1. Bug fixes. Perhaps a lot of small bugs are found, and Tesla wants to fix them speedily to avoid mishaps.
  2. Background testing. Perhaps Tesla frequently pushes new test software to many cars that runs in the background and gets compared to the normal, active autopilot. Users cannot notice, because the background software runs, but does not act. It merely reports data to the mothership.
  3. Foreground testing. Perhaps Tesla makes subtle, mostly unnoticed changes to the software and retrieves statistical data on the effect of these changes.
Any other ideas? Does anybody know more?

maybe worth checking how agile development works - but it isn't how you suggest.
The point is that those other features are being developed on a different branch - you don't just "cherry pick" across all the different branched based on whim.
This stuff is enterprise level software development on a huge and wide ranging code base.
I work with agile every day. In a huge enterprise. This has nothing to do with agile. Huge enterprises make for terrible agile because it creates extra dependencies. All they would have to do is estimate it and bring it into a sprint. They’ve had enough time to do this unless their sprints are 4 weeks long. They could be doing Kanban — we don’t know enough to assume about their methodologies — I don’t think any of us can say with certainty it is one thing or another. I am just saying it is possible to create a new branch for us — they just haven’t prioritized it for some reason.

Last edited:
There is a similar thread about this
Update versioning

There really is no need for frustration and anger over a software update - just understanding. :cool:
This is regular agile development in action - it actually shows a massive amount of development work.

The reason for all of the releases could be the uniqueness of the Tesla production and it reacting to the many component changes they have had to make to keep the lines running. Some of the components sourced during the ongoing shortage may not be drop in replacements for each other, so software would have to be adjusted to allow for that.
Each of the the different releases will be slightly different and be there to allow for specific branches of the code.
You can see that pattern in action on services like TeslaFi, you'll see the minor numbers incrementing in steps. Then a different branch doing the same as they correct found issues. You can see that lots of 12.25.7 is going out while the first few are getting 12.25.10 with a tiny number on the semi mythical 2021.24, all running at the same time as 4.21.x and 4.18.x
Sometimes you'll see obvious branches that focus on S/X and others on 3/Y only to be later merged into one, other times the reason for the branch is much more esoteric and could even be based on the drivers usage, car location or battery charging methods for instance.
Sooner or later all these various branches will merge and disappear.

No, understanding goes out the window when you charge a premium price, not to mention an extra $10K for FSD, which promises regular software updates. You see features deployed to other of the same model with later serial #s with features that you would want and no explanation.

Reasonable expectations for transparency at the dollar levels being charged is not about "understanding", it is about an expectation for a level of service that is being charged for.

No, understanding goes out the window when you charge a premium price, not to mention an extra $10K for FSD, which promises regular software updates. You see features deployed to other of the same model with later serial #s with features that you would want and no explanation.

Reasonable expectations for transparency at the dollar levels being charged is not about "understanding", it is about an expectation for a level of service that is being charged for.
Please show where Tesla promise regular software updates and where they promise updates at a specific frequency or that your car will get updates at the same time as other cars.
Without that statement from Tesla there is no expectation at all.

Please show where Tesla promise regular software updates
Literally the first sentence of the support website about software updates: Software Updates

You can also google Elon’s statements when marketing Tesla. Talking about how great Tesla is than the others because of the regular updates that add features.

When I pay a premium to a vendor (note that I am paying them a lot of money) that creates an expectation of premium services. Keeping me in the dark and creating customer frustration for no reason is not premium service.

I have said many times on this site that I know what I purchased. Just because I like my vehicle does not mean I like everything Tesla does. They make choices I disagree with and as a paying customer it is my absolute right to get frustrated and disagree with those corporate decisions.

It is my considered opinion that the lack of transparency around software updates is a shortcoming of Tesla that could be easily fixed. it serves no rational purpose to piss off customers when you could simply describe what branch is what and which cars are receiving updates.

Im not at the level of suing them. But I totally get the people, for instance, that ordered a car in April like me and then had a car delivered in June that totally differed from the descriptions that we purchased without being notified (radar removal, lack of lumbar in the passenger seat). That is one severe example that a little of bit transparency and an option to cancel without surprising people at delivery would have solved.

Reactions: S&B's M3
Literally the first sentence of the support website about software updates: Software Updates

You can also google Elon’s statements when marketing Tesla. Talking about how great Tesla is than the others because of the regular updates that add features.

When I pay a premium to a vendor (note that I am paying them a lot of money) that creates an expectation of premium services. Keeping me in the dark and creating customer frustration for no reason is not premium service.

I have said many times on this site that I know what I purchased. Just because I like my vehicle does not mean I like everything Tesla does. They make choices I disagree with and as a paying customer it is my absolute right to get frustrated and disagree with those corporate decisions.

It is my considered opinion that the lack of transparency around software updates is a shortcoming of Tesla that could be easily fixed. it serves no rational purpose to piss off customers when you could simply describe what branch is what and which cars are receiving updates.

Im not at the level of suing them. But I totally get the people, for instance, that ordered a car in April like me and then had a car delivered in June that totally differed from the descriptions that we purchased without being notified (radar removal, lack of lumbar in the passenger seat). That is one severe example that a little of bit transparency and an option to cancel without surprising people at delivery would have solved.
Totally not trying imply that sort of thing is acceptible.
When you have a car that was delivered without features that should be there I'm fully in agreement with you.
You should be told when they are going to be delivered and why they weren't there in the first place - and be given options.
Tesla really messed up the customer communication and keep doing so.
You have every expectation that it should be communicated and resolved quickly and be told about it.

I was coming from the "throw away" updates like new games or some new config that nobody knew they wanted but enhance the overall experience.