Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So many flats....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. I have a 2018 Model 3 with the 19 inch rims. Prior to getting this car, I think I had one flat tire about 20 years ago. Since taking delivery of this car in October 2018, I have had 2 flats that needed to be replaced ($345 each) and 4 repairs. The last mobile repair person told me these are so susceptible to puncture because of the weight of the vehicle. Makes sense but if this keeps up, I may go broke buying tires.

I have two questions: 1) anyone having the same experience? 2) anyone know of a better tire that resists punctures?

Thanks--

The weight of the vehicle has nothing to do with it. Neither does narrow (actually narrower is typically better because less of the road is "swept"). Some tires are less puncture resistant than others. The 2013 S came with Goodyears and they has so many flats I ditched them at 14K miles. Switched to Michelin Primacy and flat rate went down to practically zero. Same commute.

The weight of the vehicle has nothing to do with it. Neither does narrow (actually narrower is typically better because less of the road is "swept"). Some tires are less puncture resistant than others. The 2013 S came with Goodyears and they has so many flats I ditched them at 14K miles. Switched to Michelin Primacy and flat rate went down to practically zero. Same commute.
Thanks I will look to switch as I have the stock 19 Continental tires that come with it.

Funny you mention this, I got my first flat in my life with my Model 3. Admittedly I'm younger and have only been driving 10 years, but still. All those years carrying around a spare tire (usually full size), and of course it happens in the car I don't have any kind of spare for. Luckily I was close to home and made it back before it deflated. I jacked the car up myself, and brought the wheel into a local shop for repair, $160 later I was good to go. Ouch. Might just be bad luck, who knows, but I'm hoping it doesn't happen again! Especially since the patched tire now loses about 1-2 PSI per month.

Funny you mention this, I got my first flat in my life with my Model 3. Admittedly I'm younger and have only been driving 10 years, but still. All those years carrying around a spare tire (usually full size), and of course it happens in the car I don't have any kind of spare for. Luckily I was close to home and made it back before it deflated. I jacked the car up myself, and brought the wheel into a local shop for repair, $160 later I was good to go. Ouch. Might just be bad luck, who knows, but I'm hoping it doesn't happen again! Especially since the patched tire now loses about 1-2 PSI per month.
$160 for a patch?

Something like this is a good idea to keep in your trunk (or frunk). Won’t save you if it’s a really badly damaged tire, but can get you out of a pinch. Plus, I like how you can just set the pressure that it’ll pump to, so it’s nice for topping off the tires.

Helteko Portable Air Compressor Pump 12V DC - Digital Tire Inflator - Auto Tire Pump with Emergency Led Lighting and Long Cable for Car - Bicycle - Motorcycle - Basketball and Other https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07789PTPG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_0vWxFbC8W6AD5

The last mobile repair person told me these are so susceptible to puncture because of the weight of the vehicle.

This guy is blowing smoke up your ass. If this was the case, you would see heavier vehicles like trucks getting way more flats than cars, which doesn't happen.

Are you driving in an area with more construction? More than likely, it has something to do with where you are driving and the conditions of the road more than anything.

Hello all. I have a 2018 Model 3 with the 19 inch rims. Prior to getting this car, I think I had one flat tire about 20 years ago. Since taking delivery of this car in October 2018, I have had 2 flats that needed to be replaced ($345 each) and 4 repairs. The last mobile repair person told me these are so susceptible to puncture because of the weight of the vehicle. Makes sense but if this keeps up, I may go broke buying tires.

I have two questions: 1) anyone having the same experience? 2) anyone know of a better tire that resists punctures?

Thanks--

Really? This is happening to your 19's? I was going to go to 19s for summer tire sand stay at 18s for winter. That's sad to hear...

This guy is blowing smoke up your ass. If this was the case, you would see heavier vehicles like trucks getting way more flats than cars, which doesn't happen.

Are you driving in an area with more construction? More than likely, it has something to do with where you are driving and the conditions of the road more than anything.

Maybe he's not pumping his tires correctly. Underinflated tires with gets flats easier.

Reactions: StealthP3D
Titan 7 TS-5 19x9 245/40ZR19 Falken F510s
Really? This is happening to your 19's? I was going to go to 19s for summer tire sand stay at 18s for winter. That's sad to hear...
Yes to my 19" and I keep them inflated to 42. I inflate at Costco as they have nitrogen. My wife works there and I drive her there couple times a week. I keep close tabs on the pressure ever since my first flat.