TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

So many new Superchargers timeframe: true or false?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by bell2041, May 19, 2018.

1. bell2041

bell2041 Member

I opened up a map of Tesla supercharges and I see around ~30 new Superchargers that are all supposedly "coming end of 2018" in my area (NYC), is that realistic?

Thx

2. johnster007

johnster007 Member

History shows they make about 75% of supercharger goal. Count on around 20 and you shouldn't be disappointed.

3. bell2041

bell2041 Member

What about the time frame? Do they actually wait until the end of the year to open or they will be opening throughout a year?

4. bell2041

bell2041 Member

so definitely not all of them? There is one that I really need :)

5. sammyfan711

sammyfan711 Member

They seems to always open but 2018 may well roll into 2019 for some.

Thanks for posting this, I felt like a kid on Christmas morning going downstairs to my laptop to see all these new locations Elon tweeted about!

Here is Chicagoland we already had our big push, Rosemont has been on the map for a while but Oak Brook was just added.

My speculation is that both Rosemont and Oak Brook will be part of the planned Target stores supercharger expansion.

6. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

While Tesla may be working on many new supercharger locations, it can take longer than they expect to secure a specific location and get the needed approvals to get the power they need and build the supercharger.

I believe some of the future locations on the 2018 map may have been on the 2016 map - we're still waiting for the last superchargers to be added for the east-west route in west Texas.

Tesla's working on expanding the network - but they don't control all of the timing, when they are depending on securing locations, government approvals, or getting a construction team.

• Like x 1
  7. dethman

dethman Member

Tesla's motto: overpromise and underdeliver.

Anticipate the superchargers opening eventually, but tesla will always say the time frame is an 'estimate' to cover their asses.

• Like x 1
  8. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

Tesla's map should just be taken as guidance for the rough area where they'd like to put some superchargers at some point in the future. The timeframe listed is pretty much meaningless and the location is only accurate to about 50 miles.

Check out Supercharge.info they have all the sites that have concrete evidence of a supercharger being installed. Either construction being started or a work permit. That's the best indicator for a supercharging being put in, and even then they sometimes get stalled indefinitely.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Do not purchase counting on any particular Supercharger. The map reflects intention, but implementation is always uncertain.

10. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

Very realistic. They've been popping up quite a bit in parking garages. So 30 garages installing urban chargers is highly feasible.

11. bell2041

bell2041 Member

is there a way to find when was a certain Supercharger opened?

12. DriverOne

DriverOne Supporting Member

Supercharge.info has all the info you ask for. Check out its tabs for historical growth charts. Tap a charger and then “details” to see date opened. There’s a lot of supercharge info there ;-)

13. swgdan

swgdan Member

Spot on.