Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So many Yoke replacement options! ISO members' help for the best "Plug & Play" option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Esteemed members of TMC, Greetings!

I am not new to Tesla, but did recently take delivery of a 2022 Model S LR, to replace our Model S 75 which has served us well throughout the years.

Its been about a month of trying to get accustomed to the Yoke wheel, but its been frustrating.

I noticed there are numerous Yoke replacement options, and I would like the members' input on any third party steering wheels that are more circular, and can be easily installed. It seems that the Hansshow wheel gets high praise here, but I understand that the installation is fairly advanced, requiring the user to transport many of the control modules. I did watch the video on the tSportsline wheel, and it appeared that installation was quite straighforward. Unfortunately, I really wanted a wheel that is more circular.

Assuming cost isnt a significant concern, can any members here offer their recommendations on a suitable replacement to the Yoke?

Thank you in advance,

Esteemed members of TMC, Greetings!

I am not new to Tesla, but did recently take delivery of a 2022 Model S LR, to replace our Model S 75 which has served us well throughout the years.

Its been about a month of trying to get accustomed to the Yoke wheel, but its been frustrating.

I noticed there are numerous Yoke replacement options, and I would like the members' input on any third party steering wheels that are more circular, and can be easily installed. It seems that the Hansshow wheel gets high praise here, but I understand that the installation is fairly advanced, requiring the user to transport many of the control modules. I did watch the video on the tSportsline wheel, and it appeared that installation was quite straighforward. Unfortunately, I really wanted a wheel that is more circular.

Assuming cost isnt a significant concern, can any members here offer their recommendations on a suitable replacement to the Yoke?

Thank you in advance,
I'm ooking at the unleashed and secret EV

I'm ooking at the unleashed and secret EV
I'd wait personally. The 23 year model 3/Y are supposedly switching to the same system as the s/x refresh controls, but it will be an actual steering wheel, not a yoke. I'm holding off on ordering an aftermarket until those come out in a few months to see the design. They should also be a lot cheaper than these $2000 parts available now.

Reactions: kazamm
At the risk of igniting further fury from some I would say that IMO the lack of stalks is as much of an issue as the yoke itself: perhaps a salvage S steering unit could be the answer?
One cannot swap from an older S: the newer models S & X use the steering column from the current models 3 & Y. The stalks and wheel are a direct swap, even the column shrouds from models 3 & Y fit perfectly in the new S, and presumably, the X as well.

The issue is firmware: although Tesla could easily enable wheel & stalk compatibility with a single setting in the shared code base, they have not, and are extremely unlikely to do so.

A brilliant user built hardware dongles that clip between the stalks and wheel and send appropriate signals through the CAN bus which the car understands to be turn signal, wiper, ‘shifting’—in other words, impersonating the horrid haptic controls with which it is designed. You will find a long thread somewhere in this forum. It’s highly technical should you wish to build and program the dongles for yourself. It is, however, the only way so far to get stalks and a center horn on a new Model S.

Another alternative has been suggested but as of this writing untested: that of renting Tesla’s diagnostic / coding tools for one’s self, and enabling compatibly in his vehicle’s software. Again, as far as I know, no one has succeeded or even followed completely through to try this. This latter method risks failure with every firmware update to one’s car. The dongles I describe above should work perpetually since the car “thinks” they’re the expected controls.

I'd wait personally. The 23 year model 3/Y are supposedly switching to the same system as the s/x refresh controls, but it will be an actual steering wheel, not a yoke. I'm holding off on ordering an aftermarket until those come out in a few months to see the design. They should also be a lot cheaper than these $2000 parts available now.
Awesome. The sooner Tesla’s entire range goes stalkless haptics and the ‘exclusive club’ psychology disappears in the far larger market of Models 3 & Y, the sooner people will realize how much the new controls absolutely suck.

While it does take most a week or two to adjust to the stalkless design, I suspect few want to move back. Not sure why a few people hate the design, but that happens with any change of any product. Some love the old ways some love the new ways, and most don't care either way. I slightly prefer the stalkless design now, when I switch between the S and Y. The stalks seem clunky in comparison.

When Tesla switches all its cars to stalkless, I expect they will lose a few percent of potential customers, but gain just as many or more. Interesting to see the number of 3/Y's I've seen that have switched the old round steering wheel to a third-party-made yoke, but I've not seen a kit to get rid of the stalks yet. I'm sure it's coming.

Reactions: bhzmark
…but I've not seen a kit to get rid of the stalks yet. I'm sure it's coming.
It’s coming—bundled with an at-home-lobotomy kit ;-)

I often wonder how anyone can engage in sufficient mental gymnastics to convince himself that, for example, executing a multi-point-turn or a quick parallel-parking maneuver on a crowded city street with a yoke and on-screen ‘shifting’ is even remotely acceptable, let alone superior to a round wheel and a physical stalk ‘shifter‘, when in fact all the new controls are demonstrably worse in those and nearly every other possible use case (except perhaps going straight forever), and that the changes were made solely to save Tesla a tiny percentage on prodigiously expensive cars…but then I remembered that millions of people smoke cigarettes, eat Dominos ‘Pizza’, and listen to trash-pop.

• Disagree
Reactions: 365gtb4 and bhzmark
The best option is to just wait a few thousand miles until you get used to it and actually come to prefer it the way many have. See my earlier posts complaining about the yoke, but now with continued access to an old model s and a model 3, I now prefer the yoke.

Some who have less neuroplasticity may find it harder to adapt, but those are the same people who are more likely to die still driving ICE.

Awesome. The sooner Tesla’s entire range goes stalkless haptics and the ‘exclusive club’ psychology disappears in the far larger market of Models 3 & Y, the sooner people will realize how much the new controls absolutely suck.
I have to admit I jumped the gun about the yoke sucking before having one. Absolutely no hooning or racing with the yoke, it needs a wheel. But the controls are pretty nice. The gear selector though is what I hate. If you have to bust a U turn somewhere quick on a street, you can't do it fast with the sliding icon on the screen and anyone that lives in a city knows this sucks nuts.

I'm used to the yoke but it isn't for me. It's another thing to think about and less control of the car one handed when you're drining your coffee. I know I will get the racing position and the open view, but i'm not racing and a steeringwheel never blocked my view.
It's like the tilt screen, tried it once and nevr used it again. Cool, but who cares, don't need it.

The blinkers would work very well if it was a left to right toggle, not up and down.

That would have been much easier to adapt to.

The gear shifter stinks but isn't a deal breaker.

The best option is to just wait a few thousand miles until you get used to it and actually come to prefer it the way many have. See my earlier posts complaining about the yoke, but now with continued access to an old model s and a model 3, I now prefer the yoke.

Some who have less neuroplasticity may find it harder to adapt, but those are the same people who are more likely to die still driving ICE.
Humans can habituate to nearly anything: living on dialysis; loss of limb; they can even develop Stockholm syndrome — it doesn’t mean any of those things are good. Some Tesla customers find a way to justify anything no matter how egregious. As I’ve written before, Musk could next replace the yoke with a scalene triangle made of barbed wire, and replace the on-screen ‘shifter’ with a Rubik’s Cube® one must solve to change direction and many on this forum would wax poetic about ‘progress’ and malign me and other objectors as troglodytes. Fascinating.

Some peopl
Humans can habituate to nearly anything: living on dialysis; loss of limb; they can even develop Stockholm syndrome — it doesn’t mean any of those things are good. Some Tesla customers find a way to justify anything no matter how egregious. As I’ve written before, Musk could next replace the yoke with a scalene triangle made of barbed wire, and replace the on-screen ‘shifter’ with a Rubik’s Cube® one must solve to change direction and many on this forum would wax poetic about ‘progress’ and malign me and other objectors as troglodytes. Fascinating.
I complained about the yoke at first too. Just as I complained about losing the keyboard on my blackberry years ago.

In both cases I came to realize that the change was overall better. Some tradeoffs, but overall I will not go back to the blackberry keyboard and will not install, or even choose it if were a free option, a wheel to replace the yoke. (same can’t be said for the irrelevant analogies of dialysis and lost limb — just shows poor reasoning).

I do a lot of voice dictation and swiping, and a lot of highway driving. I can palm and lever a u-turn or parking lot maneuvers on the yoke no problem. The yoke also gives superior awareness of where the wheels are pointed. If I wanted to drift around a track I would want a wheel. I don’t, so I don’t.

the turn signals and engagement of AP and inability to adjust following distance are my lingering complaints. The yoke is fine.

shrug. Some people still prefer their blackberry keyboards.

I can palm and lever a u-turn or parking lot maneuvers on the yoke no problem. The yoke also gives superior awareness of where the wheels are pointed.

that was where I miscalculated having one before actually using it. Seen videos of people trying to go hand over hand turning in a parking lot. Just palm it or stick a finger in one side and spin it. I was wrong initially and have no issue admitting it.

As far as the drifting part, another thing I miscalculated. With my M3P's, I drove them very aggressively and a yoke would have caused me to get in an accident for sure. I was 100% throttle way more than I should have been. The plaid is like an effin scud missile. You do not go full throttle in that car unless you've already scanned the area and made sure everything is clear. You just can't drive this car like the 3's out of purely safety perspective.

I'm used to the yoke but it isn't for me. It's another thing to think about and less control of the car one handed when you're drining your coffee. I know I will get the racing position and the open view, but i'm not racing and a steeringwheel never blocked my view.
It's like the tilt screen, tried it once and nevr used it again. Cool, but who cares, don't need it.

The blinkers would work very well if it was a left to right toggle, not up and down.

That would have been much easier to adapt to.

The gear shifter stinks but isn't a deal breaker.
Agree, I did get used to the yoke but the more I drive my wife’s model Y, the more I think yoke is completely useless. Other than looks there’s zero upside of that design.

That’s why I ordered the Secret-EV round version while ago… been traveling and will get this mounted this weekend.

E6DDE98E-5C64-4BB5-BC36-8065C51F5B07.jpeg

that was where I miscalculated having one before actually using it. Seen videos of people trying to go hand over hand turning in a parking lot. Just palm it or stick a finger in one side and spin it. I was wrong initially and have no issue admitting it.

As far as the drifting part, another thing I miscalculated. With my M3P's, I drove them very aggressively and a yoke would have caused me to get in an accident for sure. I was 100% throttle way more than I should have been. The plaid is like an effin scud missile. You do not go full throttle in that car unless you've already scanned the area and made sure everything is clear. You just can't drive this car like the 3's out of purely safety perspective.

I can’t drive my plaid aggressive through canyons cause the yoke… went opposite lane few time simply trying to correct the wheel and was grabbing air.. Model 3 is overall a much safer and fun car to drive through curvy road.

i just swapped my yoke for a wheel that i purchased from pimpmyev.com. very happy with the wheel ~$1500. matte carbon fiber, alcantara grips and heated. took me about 45 minutes to remove the yoke, swap controls and re-install. very straight forward process.

i used the yoke since april and finally decided to switch. in spirited driving i prefer a wheel. i do like the controls on the wheel, no issues not having stalks for me, but i simply wanted a wheel for spirited driving and don't want to find out in an emergency that my muscle memory causes me to grab at a part of the wheel that is not there. not a yoke hater, just wanted a wheel after ~ 6 months of yoke time.