Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So much for 3-5 months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pulled the trigger 2 days ago with all the changes because the 3-6 week change to 3-5 months really through me for a loop and the potential loss of the tax credit made me click the order button. Well I get the call today for delivery on the 7th next week!!! Good maneuver Elon. You got me.

I think you'll be happy and you made a good decision. I've never regretted owning my S and it makes my daily commute a joy. Can I ask you a question, though? Why a 3? A 75S isn't that much more, and you get a bigger car. Is that the point? You like small cars? I'm not trolling - I have a reservation for a 3 and my plan is to buy one if/when they ever get FSD working. But I'm actually going back and forth whether I'll really get a 3, or a 75S. I love my S.

What is your config details?

My Details:
3/31/16 Reservation
2/22 invite
4/30 config
5/20 July delay Email
No contact / No VIN
Non-Owner
Red/Sport/EAP
Selected Fremont for Delivery
All boxes have been checked

Is it time for all April Configs to get some love?
Also 3-31 reservation with the same 2-22 invite. Configured on 6-27 and received the delivery phone call 2 days later on the 29th. Delivery setup for July 7th

Imo the Model 3 is not a "small car." I don't know exact specs but for interior room and cargo capacity but it feels to me similar to a Toyota Camry. This could be because of the glass roof and minimalist dashboard design. It drives smaller than it feels however.

The Model S just feels like a very big car to me.

Overall switching from driving the S for 3 years to the Model 3 I have not regretted the decision one bit. It seems just as good a car as the S except much cheaper. The S feels slightly more luxurious bc of the larger footprint and dual screen but I haven't missed it one bit. The integral parts if the Tesla expirience are all there (electric drive, mobile app, touchscreen interface etc) except that the 3 is simply far more fun to drive and nimble. The performance version I can only imagine will be even better in this regard.

I think you'll be happy and you made a good decision. I've never regretted owning my S and it makes my daily commute a joy. Can I ask you a question, though? Why a 3? A 75S isn't that much more, and you get a bigger car. Is that the point? You like small cars? I'm not trolling - I have a reservation for a 3 and my plan is to buy one if/when they ever get FSD working. But I'm actually going back and forth whether I'll really get a 3, or a 75S. I love my S.
'm

Reactions: DR61 and Ormond
E-fan, unless I'm missing something, the S is 50% more than the 3. The base price of the 75D -- only option available online - is $75k. The base price of the 3 is $49k, or $51k if you want larger wheels and a color other than black. But still, $25k/$50k is a 50% price premium before any options. Yes, its an awesome care, but still a chunk of money more.

(Just configured my second 3 yesterday after running the numbers for a 75.)

Imo the Model 3 is not a "small car." I don't know exact specs but for interior room and cargo capacity but it feels to me similar to a Toyota Camry. This could be because of the glass roof and minimalist dashboard design. It drives smaller than it feels however.

The Model S just feels like a very big car to me.

Overall switching from driving the S for 3 years to the Model 3 I have not regretted the decision one bit. It seems just as good a car as the S except much cheaper. The S feels slightly more luxurious bc of the larger footprint and dual screen but I haven't missed it one bit. The integral parts if the Tesla expirience are all there (electric drive, mobile app, touchscreen interface etc) except that the 3 is simply far more fun to drive and nimble. The performance version I can only imagine will be even better in this regard.

'm

I hated my husband's Camry before he bought our MS. Couldn't wait for him to get rid of it. Our other car is an Avalon so the MS doesn't feel so big to me I guess. I just ordered my Model 3 after some back and forth of whether I'd regret the smaller size and your comment has made me wonder again. Has nothing to do with "still a Tesla inside". Hoping to take a test drive next weekend. At 61K it's still a big decision to get wrong. Hope I feel better after next weekend.

E-fan, unless I'm missing something, the S is 50% more than the 3. The base price of the 75D -- only option available online - is $75k. The base price of the 3 is $49k, or $51k if you want larger wheels and a color other than black. But still, $25k/$50k is a 50% price premium before any options. Yes, its an awesome care, but still a chunk of money more.

(Just configured my second 3 yesterday after running the numbers for a 75.)

Its 64k (for a 3 with dual motor to compare to an S with dual motor) vs 83k for an S, similarly equipped (with auto pilot and FSD). Yes its a fair difference. Neither is chump change to me. But if you prefer smaller cars and more nimble handling I can see going with the 3. Oh, and the range on the 3 is outstanding compared to the 75S. I'm not saying I won't get a 3 either. I'm just not decided yet. Not buying anything until FSD is working, that I know for certain.

I have driven several S’s but bought a 3. For us bigger is NOT better as they are harder to park, harder to fit in the garage and more expensive to power. With the S 330 Watts per mile was about as good as I would do. With the 3 we are at 230 Watts per mile. The interior of the 3 is also better for passengers cup holders front and back. USB ports front and back. Hooks for coats and places in the doors. Not trying to knock the S but there are advantages to the 3.

I hated my husband's Camry before he bought our MS. Couldn't wait for him to get rid of it.

OK I didn't intend that it's similar to a Camry in that sense, just that you could probably seat the same people and hold the same luggage in both with similar cabin space. Otherwise I'm with you in the Camry hate.

The showroom car should give you a good enough take on size. If you really want to be sure of things, a couple days renting the car through Turo might be a good idea

Reactions: dhrivnak

You didn’t ask me but I’ll offer an opinion. I received a Model S loaner when I rejected delivery of my Model 3. That car was awesome and very quick. That said, it felt like driving a boat compared to the 3. The Model 3 is a proper sport sedan. I prefer the nimbleness and size of the Model 3. For some perspective, I considered a sports car as I evaluated the 3. In other words, some of us prefer smaller cars. In my opinion the Model 3 vs Model S is a personal choice. I never felt that the Model 3 is inferior in fact when I picked up my dry cleaning in the S and didn’t have a place to hang it I thought, “are you f&$)ing kidding me..no hook on a $75K car.”

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak and DR61
I mean, I do not find this surprise a negative.

I do not have a date scheduled yet, but I expect that Monday. I have a VIN. 38403.

Tesla can continue to 'get me' with surprises like this.

Hey, How did you get VIN number ? would tesla call you and give you a number ? I have Configured and submitted order and curious where do i get VIN number. or would TESLA give you VIN number after delivery has been confirmed?

You didn’t ask me but I’ll offer an opinion. I received a Model S loaner when I rejected delivery of my Model 3. That car was awesome and very quick. That said, it felt like driving a boat compared to the 3. The Model 3 is a proper sport sedan. I prefer the nimbleness and size of the Model 3. For some perspective, I considered a sports car as I evaluated the 3. In other words, some of us prefer smaller cars. In my opinion the Model 3 vs Model S is a personal choice. I never felt that the Model 3 is inferior in fact when I picked up my dry cleaning in the S and didn’t have a place to hang it I thought, “are you f&$)ing kidding me..no hook on a $75K car.”

What about long trips though? A bigger car is generally more comfortable. More room for luggage, etc. I recently fled from Houston right before Harvey hit, and I put my two cats in their individual cages, a litter box, my suitcase and tons of supplies and had room to spare. That one trip made me love my S an order of magnitude more than I already did. That was the first time I used the frunk, and since my car is RWD I have a large frunk. I'm just afraid I'll miss all that space if I go for the 3. I also drive a Volt, and I do like the smaller car in parking lots.