Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So, my car was hit by lightning at the Grove City, OH supercharger...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Small update: they're shipping out all the damaged components to California. Apparently the engineers are giddy to get their hands on everything. I'm sure they're going to do a full analysis and let me know what they find, but I wouldn't be surprised if that takes a while.

I have to wonder if all the parts they replaced, including the battery, were actually damaged. It could be that they just needed or wanted more time to examine and study everything in detail that would/could/was affected and didn't want to keep your car that long.

I work for a large telecommunications provider, we ARE responsible if our client's equipment is fried by lightning or power surges coming in over our wires, UNLESS we have taken reasonable steps to mitigate the risk. As such, we install surge arresting hardware at the side of every house, and fuse links in all our terminals. These devices are not foolproof, however they limit most damage, and as long as they are in place, we are not legally responsible for any damage caused by lightning that overwhelms them. If those devices are not in place, then we are liable in the event of lightning damage.

So, has tesla taken reasonable steps to mitigate the risk of a surge coming through their superchargers? if so, they aren't liable, if not... then I suspect legally they would be liable.

That's interesting to know!

I guess I need a new ISP, because I know from personal experience that they don't cover damage due to lightning to their rented router... :(

I guess I need a new ISP, because I know from personal experience that they don't cover damage due to lightning to their rented router... :(

Exactly. There might some kind of commercial agreement that could cover power surges and such. That would be included as part of the contract. Lightning is almost never covered by anyone except insurance companies. I work in the telecom business and the two largest ones I work with never had anything like that.

Lightning hits your house or business? Call your insurance company.
Power surge cooks your gear? Call your insurance company and maybe the power company.
Shuffle your socks across the carpet floor and zap your charging iPad? Call Apple and say "I don't know what happened!"

I don't think you read the whole quote.
green1 said:
UNLESS we have taken reasonable steps to mitigate the risk.

If they have taken reasonable steps to mitigate, and lightning still damages it, it's not their fault. In the context of this thread, the question becomes whether or not Tesla took reasonable precautions, if so, they're not liable, if not, they probably are. (I suspect they have, but we know so little about a lot of this stuff that we really don't know)

Sitting inside a car is one of the safest places to be in a thunderstorm - ( not a tornado!).
read this
Lightning Safety: The Myths and the Basics

...and with no fuel to ignite, A tesla does seem to be a safe place.

But tocharge a car with high power electricity in a thunderstorm is not a sensible thing to do!

Please tell us how Tesla deal with this event. Do you get your car back repaired?
Will Tesla warn cutommers not to use a Supercharger in a storm?

I'll be getting my car back soon! Probably sometime next week. I can't believe it has been 1 whole month now. I really miss it.

That's awesome! I was at the Columbus SC last Thursday picking up my MS. I asked about your MS and they said they still had it. They said they wish they had a surveillance video of where exactly the lightning bolt struck.

Glad you are getting your MS back soon.

That's awesome! I was at the Columbus SC last Thursday picking up my MS. I asked about your MS and they said they still had it. They said they wish they had a surveillance video of where exactly the lightning bolt struck.

If they really want that data, they should probably get in touch with one of the weather monitoring services, as many of them log this data (but not sure if they can log accurate locations).

Example site for Columbus, OH.

lightningmap.png

Well, video or not, when I looked up through the roof I saw the bolt to my back-right, extremely close. It either hit the trees right next to me, or maybe the building behind me, but that seemed too far away from what I saw. It had to have been within 100ft.

Well, video or not, when I looked up through the roof I saw the bolt to my back-right, extremely close. It either hit the trees right next to me, or maybe the building behind me, but that seemed too far away from what I saw. It had to have been within 100ft.

Glad you are getting your car back.

Another scenario to ponder : Would this have happened if you were connected to the SC, but not charging (the charge finished, or you stopped it from the MCU). Without any current going into the car, would the car have still fried some of its components?

From my experience (former Skywarn volunteer and weather "fan"), those lightning maps are not very accurate. I live in a very rural area with a clear view for miles in every direction, and watched as lightning struck, for example, about a quarter mile to my north while the tracking sites I was watching showed it to be more than a mile to my south. Sometimes one stroke of lightning will trigger three or four "hits" within a couple of miles of each other and none of them where it actually hit. They are good for showing a very general area, but not very good for accurate pinpointing of locations of lightning strikes.

If it's a really active storm, you get something like this (zoomed out to a very wide area, but you get the idea):

Last edited by a moderator:
After a month and a half, my car is back! I missed it so much, especially since I had to drive a BMW for the last 2 weeks. It was worth the wait, though. The people at the Columbus, OH service center did an EXCELLENT job. The visor doesn't seemed to have been signed, though. I'll send a message out to bonnie about it.

Attachments

• after_lightning_small.jpg
    after_lightning_small.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 411
  • after_lightning2_small.jpg
    after_lightning2_small.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 407
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: EVie'sDad