Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So my first week of Tesla ownership....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That I'd jot down a few thoughts after completing my first week and 700 miles in a Model 3 SR+ (indeed my first EV).

Delivery: after all the horror stories I was expecting the worst but actually it was pretty good with no obvious faults, paint blemishes, interior marks or damage and everting present and correct. There were a few dodgy panel gaps but after owning a Lotus, it didn't feel it was worth flagging them as a warranty issues.
It was however delivered with 8% charge remaining and as it arrived 6 weeks earlier than predicted, we had no home charging point installed yet so had to wait 15 hours with the granny charger to actually drive it.

Driving: Having scanned through the manual in the week prior to delivery it was easy to set-up and lovely to drive. Acceleration is certainly more than adequate for road use in any situation. It's comfy too although feel it's a bit underdamped for the performance on offer and certainly gets very 'squirrelly' and ragged when pushed hard (it's no BMW 3 series for sure) but as overall package it's very good. Practically wise it's great and we did our first trailer tip run on Wednesday with no issues. Unfortunately a couple of issues did become apparent when I first started to drive it - front tracking was out massively on delivery (and steering wheel wasn't central) and rear passenger was door constantly rattling on uneven roads.

Charging: If you live in a semi-rural location (like West Dorset) and you need to rely on public charging points, you're in trouble. In our first week we made 5 trips to charging points and only 2 were working. On this basis, it would be virtually impossible to run a short range EV locally so I genuinely feel sorry for owners who try to rely on this minefield of networks. We're certainly not ready locally for an EV revolution. I did finally get to try a Tesla Supercharger at Bristol SC but with high expectations I was a bit underwhelmed - charging maxed at 42kw (and at times dropped to 30). There were 3 other cars on charge there at the same time but is this normal for SC's? I got a similar rate of charge from a pod point fast charge unit in Lidl.

Warranty work: Went to an appointment at Bristol SC (our nearest but still over a 4 hour round trip so half a day off work) for the tracking and rattle. Not massively impressed unfortunately - they agreed the tracking was completely out so sorted that but claimed they couldn't replicate the rattle. I said it was pretty noticeable on a test drive on any non-racetrack tarmac but was told they didn't have time to test drive the car despite it being one of the issues it was booked in for! With hindsight, I should have just got it tracked locally and guess I'll have to fix the rattle myself.

Ongoing issues: So we drove through some torrential rain on way back from Bristol SC. When I got home and opened the trunk, it felt heavier than normal - as I raised it, it became apparent that it had filled with water between the two skins! You could hear it sloshing about and when raised, through a tiny hole in the weld near to where the hinge is, it slowly started trickling out. So now I've got to go back to Bristol in November to get it sorted out - hope it doesn't freeze in the meantime!

Overall: Despite the ongoing issues that you wouldn't expect in a £40k+ car I'm still enjoying the drive and getting my head around when and where to charge. It's a unique driving experience. We won't be selling our other ICE cars anytime soon but will certainly be using them far less.

Yeah the handover experience is pretty laughable tbh...to leave you with 8% charge is pretty poor.

When I picked up mine from the dealership it was a very quick process....signed a screen, got taken outside, handed me the keys and was told ‘it’s here somewhere’. The guy made me feel like I’d wasted 3 minutes of his life

There are problems and niggles and then, there's these:

Unfortunately a couple of issues did become apparent when I first started to drive it - front tracking was out massively on delivery (and steering wheel wasn't central)

When I got home and opened the trunk, it felt heavier than normal - as I raised it, it became apparent that it had filled with water between the two skins! You could hear it sloshing about and when raised, through a tiny hole in the weld near to where the hinge is, it slowly started trickling out.

Neither of those are remotely acceptable in a brand new car - IMHO.

I have heard of the trunk thing once before on here. The weather in the UK has been rather unseasonal this year, with far more mild days, so perhaps more people will start to notice this phenomenon as we get into autumn and winter.

Pretty ridiculous that they won't test drive the car to confirm a problem that you've driven 2 hours there to sort out!

As for the tracking and steering wheel being off centre, again - how does that even happen?

Reactions: M3noob and Jeeves
Jesus must love me more than I credited. My handover at Dartford in March included a group orientation on car controls. Went through a defect check list at the car (oh, one of THOSE, he said) and left with 50pc charge. Cameras calibrated on the drive home. No one warned me about the retreat of blood supply to the back of my head when floored, though ;)

Only issue were a couple of bits of headliner trim over the rear windows slightly adrift with some hand prints (it appears that they tried, at least, to get them seated). Handprints cleaned up nicely with hardly any effort, yay Polar upholstery cleaner. Trim sorted at Barcelona SC a month later with no flashing light or klaxons sounded by replacing clips.

Other than two flats and a false alarm at a Destination Charger, it's been plain sailing (he says with one hand clamped on an oak desk)

When you went to the supercharger what was you state of charge?
Did you preheat for supercharging?
and did you avoid being paired with another car?

Dependant on your answers your experience may or may not have been normal?

The car had 44% charge and won't have been preheated as it had just been 'fixed' under warranty, but ambient temp was 18 DegC. I had to park next to a charging car as there were no two bays unoccupied. It took around 30 mins to get to 90% charge.

I have heard of the trunk thing once before on here. The weather in the UK has been rather unseasonal this year, with far more mild days, so perhaps more people will start to notice this phenomenon as we get into autumn and winter.

Pretty ridiculous that they won't test drive the car to confirm a problem that you've driven 2 hours there to sort out!

As for the tracking and steering wheel being off centre, again - how does that even happen?

Was very annoying - they suggested videoing it and making another appointment (before I found the boot/water issue). The steering wheel is still slightly off centre (a tad worse then when I came in) but at least it now drives in a straight line. I'll just have to pay to get it tracked locally.

Completely forgot to add phantom braking issues. Have done approximately 30 miles on AP and 50 miles on just TACC. Had 3 phantom braking episodes, one on the M5 that nearly led to me being rear ended (was just driving past a lorry on AP when it hit the anchors) - guy in the golf behind must have thought I was brake testing him!

Tesla might well be ahead of the self driving game but until frankly dangerous issues like this are sorted, I won't be trusting it anytime soon - I'm now a nervous wreck on AP every time I pass a lorry and thinking it's probably less stressful not to use it.

Reactions: Bernard_S
Completely forgot to add phantom braking issues. Have done approximately 30 miles on AP and 50 miles on just TACC. Had 3 phantom braking episodes, one on the M5 that nearly led to me being rear ended (was just driving past a lorry on AP when it hit the anchors) - guy in the golf behind must have thought I was brake testing him!

Welcome to the Tesla Beta testing club. You're one of us now. :D

Tesla might well be ahead of the self driving game but until frankly dangerous issues like this are sorted, I won't be trusting it anytime soon - I'm now a nervous wreck on AP every time I pass a lorry and thinking it's probably less stressful not to use it.
Welcome to the vale of tears (and phantom braking). When on AP I check my mirrors and put my foot on the accelerator so that if any imaginary obstructions are detected, I'm ready. Any brake checks given are all mine ;)

I have to wonder if phantom braking is an EU requirement to be sure you are fully engaged as driver. Torque on the steering wheel deemed not sufficient. :(

My first experience with it was yesterday on an A road, at night, on a slight bend and had taac enabled so had foot off the accelerator,. A lorry in the oncoming lane with somewhat bright lights appeared to be the cause when within about 6 feet (approx). I'm aware that pressing the accelerator will abort but at the time had taac enabled and foot off the accelerator so took a moment to do so. My wife was extremely alarmed however so I can't imagine what it would be like for someone caught unawares.

The main causes from what I understand, and having experienced one, appear to be from bright light sources onto the front facing cameras i.e. bright sunlight during the day and from oncoming vehicles at night with bright headlights.

I work in Crewkerne, if you wanted to call by one day and compare notes I'd be happy to share my thoughts having had a M3LR for over a year now. We have a 8kW charger too!

I find that locally, passing a parked car engages the phantom brake regularly. It’s as if the forward facing cameras see parked cars but don’t tell the rear facing one on the nearside wing, which then has a panic attack

My first experience with it was yesterday on an A road, at night, on a slight bend and had taac enabled so had foot off the accelerator,. A lorry in the oncoming lane with somewhat bright lights appeared to be the cause when within about 6 feet (approx). I'm aware that pressing the accelerator will abort but at the time had taac enabled and foot off the accelerator so took a moment to do so. My wife was extremely alarmed however so I can't imagine what it would be like for someone caught unawares.

The main causes from what I understand, and having experienced one, appear to be from bright light sources onto the front facing cameras i.e. bright sunlight during the day and from oncoming vehicles at night with bright headlights.
I’ve just learned to have my foot on the accelerator any time I’m driving on non-dual carriageway and approaching an oncoming HGV. That is the only consistent one that freaks my M3 out. Can’t think I’ve ever had it overtaking but I’m generally on the accelerator then anyway as don’t have FSD

Charging: If you live in a semi-rural location (like West Dorset) and you need to rely on public charging points, you're in trouble. In our first week we made 5 trips to charging points and only 2 were working. On this basis, it would be virtually impossible to run a short range EV locally so I genuinely feel sorry for owners who try to rely on this minefield of networks. We're certainly not ready locally for an EV revolution. I did finally get to try a Tesla Supercharger at Bristol SC but with high expectations I was a bit underwhelmed - charging maxed at 42kw (and at times dropped to 30). There were 3 other cars on charge there at the same time but is this normal for SC's? I got a similar rate of charge from a pod point fast charge unit in Lidl.

I found that my first ever V3 supercharge was a downer at only 54kw, since then I have realised that pr-conditioning for supercharging is a massive help and since then i've charged at the same post and got 200kw+ at the start of a preconditioned 20% ish charge.
I'm still waiting to have my install for my charger so in a similar boat to you, although finding charging points (7kw) near my work has been a godsend, it's on polar so I can use the free trial period to do my daily top up charges until I get the home charger installed! Plus i've the 1000 supercharger miles for the first 6 months to use too!

I'm at my third week of ownership of M3LR and done a fair bit of night driving but last night was my first drive in the dark with heavy rain. Most of the drive on TACC and Autosteer was uneventful. Changing lanes was working fine as long as it was all clear all round but it did have one panic attack as I was overtaking a lorry - excessive spray close to the rear of the lorry got the barking noise and "I give up" message. I'd been expecting something so was able to take over - perhaps I should have switched to manual operation before that point - just in case?
My reversing nemesis returned when I got home - the rear camera was too wet from spray so couldn't see a thing with it - had to park forwards in my driveway and forgo a charging session.
Just popped out to wipe the cameras and reverse in to put the charging cable on.

Picked up my model 3 about a week ago from Park Royal

Genuinely atrocious handover experience

Got told they ran out of type 2 adaptors and they'd mail one out in a totally matter of fact way. No apology, no full explanation to how this could happen. When I raised that this means I'd have to supercharge at tesla every time which is more inconvenient and also more expensive. I got a shrug.