Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So my Y got clipped

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today, I was at a shopping center parked. I left my 15yr daughter in the car to get some food. Some guy just clipped my car while stopped. Yes the car was parked correctly and she was not driving or even on the drivers seat. the damage does not seem that much but who am I to judge. We wait for the police got a report and interchange insurance information he accepts responsibility and everything. Now he is calling to get an estimate and pay me somehow without involving the insurance. Is that a good idea? I found it a little shady. I have State Farm, what would be the next steps? Also I am in Northern Virginia Anyone know of a good bodyshop for teslas?

If the Tesla was locked while parked with your daughter inside the vehicle Sentry Mode may have captured the event. Check the Dashcam/Sentry Mode viewer. If it has not been over 1 hour of driving since the event save the buffer now and search the video log for any evidence. It will be easier for your insurance company to get the other party's insurance to accept responsibility if there is video.

• Helpful
Reactions: NeverGoingBack
For sure let your insurance companies handle it no matter how much they are willing to pay out of pocket.

This is a potential recipe for disaster.

When I was a teenager, someone rear ended me and wanted to handle it on the side by giving me my 500 deductible and gave me a sad pity story about his rates going higher/ getting kicked out of his insurance company due to too many incidents. As good faith he gave me 100 dollars at first and said he will pay me the rest in a week when he "got paid". Long story short I didnt the rest.

Given that the damage wasnt even a dent but a lot of scratches, I learned my lesson.

I tend to make claims only when required as in to the tune of several thousand. I have always paid for any small damages as these do add up in your insurance history. Even if you are not at fault, you become high risk if too many claims are made and yes the rates will go up. Cannot comment on your incident however if it was a scratch on the bumper I would simply settle for $500 or so have have the paint corrected, if the damage is more severe, then do get insurance involved.

Bought my daughter a used Yaris when she turned 16, told her to be careful as all accidents that were her fault are not covered and I will need to repair the car at my expense. I did take out liability insurance which was only a couple of hundred compared to the $2000 a year to cover her car due the the young age group. We do have no fault insurance here. Car was only worth $5000 so I self insured at least for damages to her car, a risk I was willing to take and could afford. She drove the car for 5 years with no accidents except for curb rashed wheels. Saved $9,000 in insurance.

Same goes for my classic Mercedes SL which is garage kept during the summer, taken off the road for winter storage from November until May. Only driven if the weather is nice therefor hardly ever used. A 1996 with a whooping 38,000 miles on the clock. Liabilty Insurance and plates cost around $300 a year. I have had the car for 18 years now, insurance wanted $1200 a year. Due to the extremely low risk factor, I once again self insured.

Just so people understand how our no fault insurance works. If I am involved in an accident and NOT at fault the other persons insurance covers his car and mine therefor if I was in an accident with the Mercedes and it was the other persons fault, everything is taken care of by the other persons insurance. If I were at fault, the liability part takes care of the other persons damages however they will not fix my car since I declined full coverage.

I suggest contacting Tesla, either in Tyson's Corner or Sterling. Tesla is supposed to be opening Tesla vehicle body repair centers, not sure if there are any open yet in NoVA. If Tesla is not able to do the work they can provide you with the local Tesla approved repair shops.

Reactions: Ezmendriz