Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So no real warranty for drive failure?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I previously had shuddering under hard acceleration in the front of the 2015 MS (P90DL/ 147, 000 klms) and the front drive was replaced. Now it has occurred again, at 147K klms. However, I'm now informed by Tesla Service (Brisbane Australia) that drive line warranty only covers, "the high voltage battery and drive unit motors, NOT anything connected to them"

As such, I'm up for over $2000 for a repair which I thought would be covered under Tesla 8 year warranty on drive train?

Has anyone had experience with this before. Doesn't seem correct.
Tesla Drive Unit failure Screenshot.jpg

Not sure if they sell the ESA (an extended warranty that's not called that) outside of the US, but suggest it would have been an excellent idea to purchase it given your car's age and your driving pattern; details here:

Extended Service Agreement

As for the "Powertrain" warranty, nowhere does Tesla provide such thing. If your drive unit was previously defective, well, it was replaced. Your drive unit is fine, but your half-shafts appear to be worn out. Because you're out of warranty coverage you'll have to pay to replace them.

The good news is that they're likely upgraded parts and should last much longer.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I have heard cases like yours where a component of the powertrain fails and Tesla does not cover it. Just like the battery heater is not covered as part of the battery.

It's the clevis mount that was revised and should prevent the failure in the future. The rest of the components are collateral damage from that part.

I'm on my fourth set of half shafts which have now lasted for 50K miles. I prevented these ones from destroying their CV joints because I lowered my car 1" which just so happens to be what was factory stock back in 2014 before Tesla raised our cars by 1" to mitigate battery strikes. This increase in height of 1" increased the CV joint angle by 3.6 degrees.

Odd question while I go look up the SB. But if Tesla had a SB in the US does it apply to the fillet regardless of what country the vehicle is in?

here’s the SB that covers those parts. This was done on mine in North America. But it’s worth a try.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10162295-9999.pdf

Tesla will in fact cover a drive unit failure and in the past many thought the shudder was from a failure in the unit itself. But it wasn’t.

Last edited:
Odd question while I go look up the SB. But if Tesla had a SB in the US does it apply to the fillet regardless of what country the vehicle is in?

here’s the SB that covers those parts. This was done on mine in North America. But it’s worth a try.

Tesla will in fact cover a drive unit failure and in the past many thought the shudder was from a failure in the unit itself. But it wasn’t.
Very helpful. Thanks

Tesla can be SO exasperating.

That bulletin is from late-June, 2019. My car (a Raven MS Perf) was built in July, 2019, so one would normally assume that if there's a bulletin for a problem out in the field, that new production cars would have the bulletin's new parts already?

This would be so easy to figure out, but Tesla didn't bother to put a VIN range in that SB, or did I miss it?

Crazy.

Also of note is that the new half-shaft part numbers (listed in the posts above) are not listed in that SB so I'd presume that that SB has also been superceeded?

Only Tesla knows . . . .

I'm on my fourth set of half shafts which have now lasted for 50K miles. I prevented these ones from destroying their CV joints because I lowered my car 1" which just so happens to be what was factory stock back in 2014 before Tesla raised our cars by 1" to mitigate battery strikes. This increase in height of 1" increased the CV joint angle by 3.6 degrees.

How much longer are your links vs stock? I have a couple of links that are +2mm and +4mm and wondering which I should try out.