TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

So now it's AWD only?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by pharmacydave, Apr 15, 2015.

1. pharmacydave

pharmacydave Member

Just looked at the "Design Studio" and only 70D 85D & P85D are listed.

2. gpetti

gpetti Active Member

Who knows what tomorrow may bring.

3. jkliu47

jkliu47 Member

This has been discussed already in earlier posts - click on the 85 series and you can choose a RWD and an AWD version.

4. cynix

cynix Member

Click on 85D and you'll get the choice of single or dual motors.

Edit: I was 20 seconds too slow!

5. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

It looks to me like it is the same as it has been for the last week or so - you can still order a RWD 85 if you select the 85D and then choose the RWD option below it. I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually changes, though.
    Walter

6. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Seems likely they'll fully phase out the RWD version eventually. Might be clearing through existing motor stock or something? Hard to say. Certainly they're not pushing the RWD version, given it's actually pretty hard to even find it now, as noted by OP.

7. pharmacydave

pharmacydave Member

Ahh, I see the option now, Thanks. It does look like the non-D are on their way out, it makes sense with the X coming soon.

8. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

Given that AWD offers better performance and efficiency on all road surfaces (dry, wet, ice, snow), it makes sense to eventually go to only AWD. Unlike an ICE car with complicated transfer cases and drive shafts, it's so simple with electric drive they may want to "simplify" things by making everything AWD.

9. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

3/4 are AWD, and the X is AWD only. Yea 2WD is dead. With none of the normal drawbacks of a mechanical system... Good riddance. You put brakes on each wheel, don't you?

10. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Hold that thought. In a few years we'll probably be putting a motor on each wheel, too. :)

(Like several electric supercar concepts and the hopefully soon to be produced Rimac.)

11. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Well, besides the cost. It likely depends on where you live. Having both an AWD car and the RWD Tesla for comparison, I'd rather save the $5k with the weather the way it is here. As a bonus, fewer things to break long term and more storage.

12. Electric700

Electric700 Member

I am for this move. Standard AWD would make things easier for Tesla from manufacturing and support perspectives, and you'd end up with happier customers especially if the cost difference were to go down because of the standardization.

13. SabrToothSqrl

It's been discussed that if a motor fails, you can still drive on the working one... So... Bonus! Lol

for 5k over the 2wd 60, you get AWD, more power, and more battery. And super charging... Seems like value to me. Now to go from 70d to 85d... For 10k... Doesn't seem like value to me... But I'm not worried. I'm still wanting my X.

14. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Incorrect. Or, at least to my knowledge, Tesla has never promised that you can run with only 1 functioning motor on a D vehicle.

15. Tourman

Tourman Member

Wasn't there a P85D that had one of the motors fail, but was still drivable? I think back in December..

16. breser

breser AutoPilot Nostradamus

Elon said you could when showing the video to a Bloomberg reporter, video is here:

Driving Tesla With Musk: Zero to 60 and Testing Autopilot - Bloomberg Business

And as others have pointed out owners have already had drive unit failures in the AWD vehicles and been able to drive with only one motor.

17. mlebl1h

mlebl1h Member

It seems from reading user comments over time, there are lots who bought an S85 because of the range. I'm planning a road trip to the margins of Supercharger territory, and I'm glad I have the extra 25 miles of range over the 70D. I'm not interested in the extra performance, and don't really need AWD, so the S85 works well for me. Also, the extra frunk space comes in handy during every road trip. I hope they keep the RWD option for a while.

18. David99

David99 Active Member

To me the frunk has a big value. I'm happy with my rear wheel drive car as it is. I wish the Model X would come in a rear wheel drive only version to have the full size frunk again. I use it a lot.

19. SabrToothSqrl

I'm hoping the X has a power frunk like the trunk. I hate closing the hood, always gets finger prints and feels like I'm going to bend it...

20. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

Indeed! I don't need AWD, I want the extra storage in the frunk. I'm very happy with my 85 :)

The AWD seems very complex with the additional motor in the front.