Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So now it's AWD only?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems from reading user comments over time, there are lots who bought an S85 because of the range. I'm planning a road trip to the margins of Supercharger territory, and I'm glad I have the extra 25 miles of range over the 70D. I'm not interested in the extra performance, and don't really need AWD, so the S85 works well for me. Also, the extra frunk space comes in handy during every road trip. I hope they keep the RWD option for a while.

You get more range and faster Supercharging. Essentially, I think it's (85-70)/70 ~= 21.4% faster.

To me the frunk has a big value. I'm happy with my rear wheel drive car as it is. I wish the Model X would come in a rear wheel drive only version to have the full size frunk again. I use it a lot.

Yes, I agree. I don't need AWD, the RWD 85 is a tank, even in snow. Give me my frunk space, it is perfect for transporting pizzas! And while you are at it, get off of my lawn!

I am glad to "hear" there is a market for the RWD 85. Hopefully it will be enough to survive Tesla's simplification. The addition of just a "soft close" to the frunk could make a big difference for me. As it stands, for fear of the frunk crease, I don't plan on using mine. Thus, the frunk difference between RWD and AWD don't matter to me. But with a soft close, I would use the frunk often.

Given that AWD offers better performance and efficiency on all road surfaces (dry, wet, ice, snow), it makes sense to eventually go to only AWD.

Breser put a lot of time into what you are trying to say, and didn't find it so. The jury is out on AWD returning more, or less, efficient use of a kilowatt hour. Given the City MPGe ratings, this should have been obvious, but it isn't. 85 vs. 85D:
Real World Comparison of a S85 to an 85D Efficiency

And as others have pointed out owners have already had drive unit failures in the AWD vehicles and been able to drive with only one motor.

Breser put a lot of time into what you are trying to say, and didn't find it so. The jury is out on AWD returning more, or less, efficient use of a kilowatt hour. Given the City MPGe ratings, this should have been obvious, but it isn't. 85 vs. 85D:
Real World Comparison of a S85 to an 85D Efficiency

I really need to post on that again. I've been driving the car in range mode almost all the time now. I'm very happy with the range I'm getting. It's better than rated pretty much always. Even with me having some fun with the the new sport acceleration mode.

For example I used 40.5 kWh to drive 125.9 miles today (which comes out to 310 Wh/mile) and that includes going in and out of the valley I live in twice (so 4 climbs).

Now some of that may be impacted by the warmer weather, but at this point I think it's safe to say the 85D is at least as good as if not better than an S85. I've also had a number of software upgrades since then.

So I'm due for another trip with an S85 to see if we can evaluate the current situation.

Edit: And to be clear, I absolutely do agree that the performance of the AWD car is much better. If the range is a wash with a RWD car it's still worth it.

I am glad to "hear" there is a market for the RWD 85. Hopefully it will be enough to survive Tesla's simplification. The addition of just a "soft close" to the frunk could make a big difference for me. As it stands, for fear of the frunk crease, I don't plan on using mine. Thus, the frunk difference between RWD and AWD don't matter to me. But with a soft close, I would use the frunk often.

I've used my Frunk multiple times per week over the last 26 months. So I estimate between 400 to 500 opens/closes. I have no frunk crease to date.

The fear is mostly overblown. Just use 2 hands (or 1 hand and 1 knee) to close the frunk each time and you're fine.

Yep. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the Model 3 had wheel motors.

"Hub motors: What's with the obsession about hub motors? Or to put it more succinctly: What problem - what actual, real problem - would hub motors solve? They won't improve performance. They won't improve efficiency. They won't improve reliability. They won't improve safety. They won't reduce program risk."
-Martin Eberhard

http://my.teslamotors.com/no_NO/node/3927