Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So price is an issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I started looking at Tesla a while ago now and originally thought the Model 3 would be suitable. After doing a test drive we realized that the trunk was not large enough to put grocery / shopping crates. That left the Model Y. At the time there was still the standard range single motor version which is now discontinued. I believe it was around $40,000 which for us is a lot of money. I know everyone has different income levels etc but that was at the top end of what we are comfortable with.

Now the Model Y is up there in price and still going up. What to do. We just need a practical daily driver.

I can't count on any infrastructure bill money. Model Y keeps creeping up and will likely eat most of any tax credit / point of sale credit. That said if Model Y is selling so well and Tesla sells each car it makes why is there a need for any stimulus in the first place? Let everyone that can afford it get a Model Y with their own money.

Just saying, if Model Y is going up in price due to increases in raw materials then why are all Tesla models not going up in price as well?

If they could put a hatchback on the Model 3 then that would be a winner for us.

Anyway, the purpose of this email is in case anyone at Tesla reviews these forums to let them know that there is a market out there for a cheaper car.

We just saw the Ford Maverick launch for around $20,000 that gets close to 40mpg city which is a tempting price point as we don't need anything fancy.

• Disagree
Reactions: justjack77 and GOVA
Tesla knows there is a market for cheaper cars. I doubt they stopped selling the SR from a lack of demand for it. There are less margins in cheaper cars though and they have plenty of demand for the higher-end trims with larger margins. If they're selling everything they can produce, it makes sense for them to focus their production on the trims that make them the most profit.

If the used market wasnt so bat-crap crazy I'd suggest that route
ultimately it comes down to supply vs demand and cost of production as the main factors
we're facing worldwide shortages of practically everything and it's driving up prices
Many mid sized ICE CUV's are pushing over $30K as it is, so when you add battery costs to the equation it's no wonder they cost what they do
I'll assume the Model 2, when it comes out, will be too small for you but hopefully by then a 3 year old used Y will be in a more comfortable price range for you

If you’re worried about increases put in an order then put it on hold to see if the credits pass. As others have mentioned there are alternatives like the Bolt EUV, not sexy but similar in range to the SR MY, maybe a lower trim Mach-E, etc if you want electric. You mentioned the Maverick, so if you’re considering a hybrid instead there’s a ton of choices. Go get a Rav-4 Hybrid or something like that.

If you are so cost conscious and limited in budget maybe look at other hybrid/ EV offerings from hyundai, honda, chevy and VW. Unfortunately even tesla's current "cheap" models aren't budget cars and I don't think they're meant to be. It's like my last car, a BMW x3M - I could have gone with the more "economical" base x3 that starts $30k cheaper but it fit my budget and "flex appeal"... a lot of people on these boards may be afraid to admit it but I won't... a Tesla is a flex.

I'm not buying it because I think I'm saving the planet (if i'm not burning gas, there's a coal or nuclear plant producing the electricity I need)... I'm buying it because the performance vs my x3 is comparable or better and it fits my budget.

Best advice I can give OP is to look at your budget and if a base maverick worktruck is what fits the budget, then thats your answer.

• Love
Reactions: jjrandorin
Sounds like you are not looking to buy right now. Just wait a few years and see what else is out there. As for trunk space, while the Model Y has a bigger trunk than the Model 3, the Model 3 trunk is pretty huge. I don't know how much grocery you are buying, but with the under floor board space slider open, I use my Model 3 for all my Costco shopping. I can never fill it all up. And don't forget there is a frunk too.