TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

So realistically, if I put a deposit today, when am I looking at an S in my driveway?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by goofygrin, Dec 21, 2012.

1. goofygrin

goofygrin Member

I've been following the S for a long time and almost put a deposit down a couple years ago, but was concerned about where I'd be financially right now (started a new business 10/2010). Well things are going fine.

So if I put down a deposit today... any guesses as to when I'd take delivery? I leased a CTS-V earlier this year (actually almost leased a Volt, but man that dash is ugly), so if it's a couple years, I'm ok with that.

2. PattyChuck

PattyChuck P6703 VIN4080

I would bet if you put down a deposit for an S today, you'd have the car in your driveway by July 2013.

3. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Yes, i probably will depend somewhat on the options you wanted. But generally, I think summer 2013 is realistic.

4. celter

celter Member

Do you think we Europeans will have to wait longer for our cars? Made a reservation 3-4 weks ago. I was told that I probably had to wait a year.

5. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

Also depends on battery configuration. 60's and 40's have not gone into production, which may also impact when you would take delivery.

6. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

I disagree. By May 2013, all options currently announced will be in production at nominal rate. From that point in time, I expect Tesla to honor reservation number / date of finalization for when to submit a car to production.

Cars will be delayed because of parts shortages or because they fail final QC, but that occurences should diminish.

From the reservation tally thread, Tesla currently has ~18k reservations and ~3k cars delivered. If they ramp up to 500 cars/week and stay there, US P-16000 will be produced within 30 weeks, i.e. July 2013.

7. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

Wow! I'm high 14k's and they originally told me late August. Should I start getting my mind right for May?

8. Brian H

Brian H Banned

Yeah, May-June is quite possible. We'll see how things look at the end of Jan.; a lot should have settled out then, though the 40-60 production will still be in flux.

9. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

I say August. Estimate 2000 MS a month. So, assume some small supply issues, holidays, etc., then August seems right. But, I am just guessing. ;-)

10. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

That's pretty much what I've been thinking. I'd obviously love May-June but I don't want to get attached to the idea and be disappointed.