Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So sad. . .the X is going back to service center :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my Model X on Wednesday, and it is going back to the service center on Tuesday so they can investigate two issues I'm having:

1) The biggest issue is that one of the FWDs doesn't always open all the way, even if nothing is blocking it. For example, in my garage, there is PLENTY of room around the car. When I went to open the door from the key fob, the door only opened slightly and then beeped as if there is some kind of obstruction. I had to bend down underneath the door and manually override it using the little lever on the inside of the doorframe. I was able to raise it fully using the little lever, and when the door is fully open there is nothing near the door. When I pulled the car forward a few feet, the door opened without any issues, even though it was even closer to our shelves. The next morning, when I went to use the car (in the same spot as the night before), the doors would only open partially, even though they had opened fully the night before. Is anyone else having this same issue? Was it resolved? I've attached two pictures - one showing the door where it was getting stuck originally, and one showing how there is plenty of room in the garage for the doors to open.

2) I picked up the car on Wednesday, and the screen froze once on Thursday and once on Friday. This isn't as big of an issue as the door problem, but it is still annoying. For others with this issue, has it been fixed?

I'm also going to ask them to look at the front driver's door - when it opens automatically, it sometimes opens into the car next to me in a parking lot.

Attachments

• IMG_9813.JPG
    IMG_9813.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_9814.JPG
    IMG_9814.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 355
Got my Model X on Wednesday, and it is going back to the service center on Tuesday so they can investigate two issues I'm having:

1) The biggest issue is that one of the FWDs doesn't always open all the way, even if nothing is blocking it. For example, in my garage, there is PLENTY of room around the car. When I went to open the door from the key fob, the door only opened slightly and then beeped as if there is some kind of obstruction. I had to bend down underneath the door and manually override it using the little lever on the inside of the doorframe. I was able to raise it fully using the little lever, and when the door is fully open there is nothing near the door. When I pulled the car forward a few feet, the door opened without any issues, even though it was even closer to our shelves. The next morning, when I went to use the car (in the same spot as the night before), the doors would only open partially, even though they had opened fully the night before. Is anyone else having this same issue? Was it resolved? I've attached two pictures - one showing the door where it was getting stuck originally, and one showing how there is plenty of room in the garage for the doors to open.

2) I picked up the car on Wednesday, and the screen froze once on Thursday and once on Friday. This isn't as big of an issue as the door problem, but it is still annoying. For others with this issue, has it been fixed?

I'm also going to ask them to look at the front driver's door - when it opens automatically, it sometimes opens into the car next to me in a parking lot.

What is your VIN?

Try parking in the sun with the FWD getting direct sunlight. Wait 10 or 20 minutes and see if the door rises fully.

Even Tesla had trouble with this at the local Meet Model X event by using cans of compressed air to cool the door sensors.

The easier solution as the OP mentioned is to hold the door pillar switch in an up position to fully raise the FWD. Always check if the FWD opens high enough, if it stops a bit short, you or your passengers could get injured when hitting your head against a door edge. Take care!

Supposedly, one trick to try to re-calibrate the FWD is to hold the switch on the inside pillar (ones inside in front of the 2nd row seats) and have FWD go fully up (continue to hold the switch) and do the same with the FWD closing and depressing the same switch through the full cycle.

Supposedly, one trick to try to re-calibrate the FWD is to hold the switch on the inside pillar (ones inside in front of the 2nd row seats) and have FWD go fully up (continue to hold the switch) and do the same with the FWD closing and depressing the same switch through the full cycle.
I will try it, thanks!

Just out of curiosity, would you have bought the Model X if it didn't have Falcon wing doors?

I can't imagine anybody is rushing to buy the X because they've got to have those doors!

I just don't understand who makes these decisions at Tesla. They're nuts, whoever they are. Its an ELECTRIC VEHICLE that goes 250+ miles. That alone sells the car. Why the stupid gimmicks like FWD and disappearing door handles? Makes no sense to me.

Just out of curiosity, would you have bought the Model X if it didn't have Falcon wing doors?

I can't imagine anybody is rushing to buy the X because they've got to have those doors!

I just don't understand who makes these decisions at Tesla. They're nuts, whoever they are. Its an ELECTRIC VEHICLE that goes 250+ miles. That alone sells the car. Why the stupid gimmicks like FWD and disappearing door handles? Makes no sense to me.

I could have lived without the FW doors, but Jesus they are beautiful when they open. And people are all amazed at them.

I've only had the tablet freeze once after applying the first update. Fixed it with a reset and never happened since. And I've had my X 7 weeks now. And I've put 2700 miles on it so far. I just love driving this beast. The doors always work fine also, but with all the stories I see here I keep expecting them to crash into the car next to me, but they never do. It is always an experience to flex those wings. I hope they get a handle on these problems so you guys can enjoy your Xs as much as I do.

If your screen is freezing up, have you tried warming it first - maybe by heating the garage or parking it in the sun?

My garage isn't heated, so that's not an option, but it hasn't really been that cold here - 40s at night and 60s during the day. I would think that's a reasonable temperature range for the touchscreen! One time it happened was in the morning, but the other time was in the middle of the afternoon after I had been using it on a sunny day.

My garage isn't heated, so that's not an option, but it hasn't really been that cold here - 40s at night and 60s during the day. I would think that's a reasonable temperature range for the touchscreen! One time it happened was in the morning, but the other time was in the middle of the afternoon after I had been using it on a sunny day.

I think it was a joke. Get it? Freezing....heat up...

Reactions: hdnyc