Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So sick of the negativity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An often missed treasure in this forum is the Roadster section. Roadster owners were the original Tesla enthusiasts -- they took the leap spending more than most will on an S or an X, with no charging network (except the ones they built, esp on the West coast) - the true definition of 'early adopters'.

And while you'll find complaints here & there, the majority of original Roadster owners spend their time helping each other. You won't find the skewed negativity, just a bunch of good people who love the tech. And I'm pleased to say I count many as friends.

Edit: Oh! And none of the drama! It's remarkably drama-free.
This is actually completely natural. A positive outlook on life -> believe that a good idea will work ->early adopter
I have seen the same difference between the Model S and the Model 3 forums. Especially in the early days the Model S forum was very positive. To a lesser degree the Roadster forum perhaps, but still.
Positive people with Glass half full mentality bought some of the first Ss. Extremely positive people (glass 20% full mentality) bought a Roadster :)

This is actually completely natural. A positive outlook on life -> believe that a good idea will work ->early adopter
I have seen the same difference between the Model S and the Model 3 forums. Especially in the early days the Model S forum was very positive. To a lesser degree the Roadster forum perhaps, but still.
Positive people with Glass half full mentality bought some of the first Ss. Extremely positive people (glass 20% full mentality) bought a Roadster :)
And some of us don't care if the glass is half full or half empty ... Just top it off and enjoy! :)

In all seriousness, I hadn't thought of this. But it's true - all the Roadster owners I know are positive people. Nothing is a problem, just new challenges to be mastered. It's a great group.

I've said this a few times recently in response to negative posts or forum members. The negative people roll out of bed every morning anxious to complain about anything and everything, Tesla just happens to be the thing they are complaining about on this forum for good reason.

I personally can't stand being around people like this. They speak and act as if they have never made an error in their life, never missed a deadline or been late on anything, and know more than everyone about everything and everyone should listen to them tell us all how to fix it.

I have zero issue with people posting issues with their cars, it is helpful to others and it's knowledge to be shared. Ive posted my own issues and have used many other brand forums in the past to trouble shoot and fix cars/motorcycles so I appreciate the info. The complainers just have to take it to the next step and tell us why this happens (as if they are an expert) and that it will lead to the demise of Tesla (as if they know this for a fact) or that some % of people won't put up with it (as if they can read everyone's minds).

Unfortunately it's a good percentage of the population that just can't help themselves, they love to be miserable and want everyone to feel their misery. It does take away from the community but I agree, the ignore feature is key. I'm mostly ok the investors section and have a healthy ignore list there but I rarely frequent the model 3 forum even though I had 2 reserved (1 cancelled when we bought the X instead).

I didn't once come here and cry because Tesla was late and I was stuck needing a new car. I looked for a solution and bought an X instead. Had that been out of my Price range I would have bought a beater while I waited. Complaining and acting entitled wouldn't have done me any good, didn't stop the complainers from doing exactly this however.

The negative people roll out of bed every morning anxious to complain about anything and everything, Tesla just happens to be the thing they are complaining about on this forum for good reason.

I am sorry, I realize this has been shared multiples times in this forum, but this message below is so profound and quite apt for this topic, that I thought it is worth sharing one more time for those that may not have seen it.

And some of us don't care if the glass is half full or half empty ... Just top it off and enjoy! :)
Exactly! I just want a glass, I don't care whether it's full, half full, or empty. I've been waiting over two years for my glass and it's just getting better all the time while I wait. When I get my glass, I'm going to fill it to the top with the beverage of my choice and enjoy it to the fullest. In fact, I have two glasses coming, his and hers, because it is going to be difficult for anyone to get my glass out of my hands.

Maybe there are a lot of negative people out there, I suppose. I don't know, I don't pay attention to them if there are. I try to concentrate on being positive, myself, and if that rubs off on someone else, so be it.

Reactions: VBruce and bonnie
Love my model 3. I’ve posted on other threads - this obsession with panel gaps while ignoring the car’s high-tech features, solid feel, excellent acceleration and handling, etc, and most of all ignoring that that it is an EV, is mind-boggling. If your car is leaking because of panel gaps, I get it. If not, then please consider buying another car from another car-maker with perfect body panel alignment, if that is so important to you. And no I do not believe my Model 3 is going to fall apart in a heap at any moment because there is an 1/8 inch difference in panel gaps from one side to the other - prove to me that is true

Everywhere you look and everywhere you hear so much negativity about Tesla. Seems like everyone is predicting it’s demise or whining about a lack of a feature. I’m going on the record to say I just got my model 3 yesterday and so far I love EVERYTHING about it. Panel gaps? Nope! Paint defects? Nope! Scratches on the center console? Nope! Problems with phone as a key? Nope! works Everytime.
That’s the problem with forums such as these they bring out the outliers, the few with unusual problems or the trolls. Well I’m hear to say that the model 3 I got was everything I want and more.

Love my model 3. I’ve posted on other threads - this obsession with panel gaps while ignoring the car’s high-tech features, solid feel, excellent acceleration and handling, etc, and most of all ignoring that that it is an EV, is mind-boggling. If your car is leaking because of panel gaps, I get it. If not, then please consider buying another car from another car-maker with perfect body panel alignment, if that is so important to you. And no I do not believe my Model 3 is going to fall apart in a heap at any moment because there is an 1/8 inch difference in panel gaps from one side to the other - prove to me that is true
ive had a Model S since 2014, took delivery of Model S in January. I’ve had nothing but great experiences, even when there were problems. So much better of an experience than past vehicles

Reactions: DragonWatch
I've said this a few times recently in response to negative posts or forum members. The negative people roll out of bed every morning anxious to complain about anything and everything, Tesla just happens to be the thing they are complaining about on this forum for good reason.

I personally can't stand being around people like this. They speak and act as if they have never made an error in their life, never missed a deadline or been late on anything, and know more than everyone about everything and everyone should listen to them tell us all how to fix it.

I have zero issue with people posting issues with their cars, it is helpful to others and it's knowledge to be shared. Ive posted my own issues and have used many other brand forums in the past to trouble shoot and fix cars/motorcycles so I appreciate the info. The complainers just have to take it to the next step and tell us why this happens (as if they are an expert) and that it will lead to the demise of Tesla (as if they know this for a fact) or that some % of people won't put up with it (as if they can read everyone's minds).

Unfortunately it's a good percentage of the population that just can't help themselves, they love to be miserable and want everyone to feel their misery. It does take away from the community but I agree, the ignore feature is key. I'm mostly ok the investors section and have a healthy ignore list there but I rarely frequent the model 3 forum even though I had 2 reserved (1 cancelled when we bought the X instead).

I didn't once come here and cry because Tesla was late and I was stuck needing a new car. I looked for a solution and bought an X instead. Had that been out of my Price range I would have bought a beater while I waited. Complaining and acting entitled wouldn't have done me any good, didn't stop the complainers from doing exactly this however.
People who have never made an error are people who have never done anything new or unsafe. All human accomplishment is based upon a tall pile of mistakes. I wouldnt say this is an issue of optimists vs pessimists, but more about those who welcome change and embrace failure as something to learn from, and those who see failure as something to scorn. At any rate, Tesla Appears to be making many small errors as a result of their ambition and drive... but incorporating the learnings and moving on. My 3 is a much improved car over my S, at half the price. And BTW seams are excellent. I’m sure some people have seams outside their tolerance. But on the whole I think market is regarding the 3 as a very desirable car. And look... even the change averse are buying them... grumble grumble

Oh Boy! So many unhappy people... I'm wondering about some of this and a couple of thoughts hit me:

1) The Model3 is getting much more publicity than previous models. Like politics, the 24/7 news and information sources need something to talk about. So, there are perspectives coming from all directions, some less knowledgeable and objective than others . You guys know what I mean, your neighbor sends you an article he read online about the Model3 or your Aunt Susie sends you a clipping from her local paper about "self driving" cars. There's more interest and more mis-information flying around out there now.

2) Also, like politics, religion (and diets), everyone seems more invested emotionally in his or her position on this car. Naturally, some have a vested interest in "carbon-based energy" and push negative news about EVs in general. Some prefer legacy auto makers and would prefer to see GM or Nissan as leaders in EVs (in spite of GM's spotty history in this field).

3) Let's face it, we now live in a "have it now" consumer society. Tesla can't match "Prime" shipping; some folks are frustrated because they don't have their "bright and shiny thing" yesterday. Two + years is a terrible and unacceptable wait time for some folks and some don't know how to deal with that! Take deep breaths and get over it. If you had gotten one of the first Model3s and it had "bugs," you'd be even more displeased and posting how awful it was. The longer we wait for our Model3s, the better the chances are that more bugs will be worked out, more features will be on it and (I hope), fewer build issues will be found by new owners.

Tesla is not perfect, and most of us still believe that Elon and his people are committed to making it right, but they are not gods and there have been glitches. Panic postings or abandonment of the Model3 will only result in more disruptions for the company, further volatility in their stock and potentially the demise or downsizing of what can be the best thing to hit the U.S. auto industry in many years.

Hold tight and keep the faith!

• Helpful
Reactions: VBruce and DR61
People who have never made an error are people who have never done anything new or unsafe. All human accomplishment is based upon a tall pile of mistakes. I wouldnt say this is an issue of optimists vs pessimists, but more about those who welcome change and embrace failure as something to learn from, and those who see failure as something to scorn. At any rate, Tesla Appears to be making many small errors as a result of their ambition and drive... but incorporating the learnings and moving on. My 3 is a much improved car over my S, at half the price. And BTW seams are excellent. I’m sure some people have seams outside their tolerance. But on the whole I think market is regarding the 3 as a very desirable car. And look... even the change averse are buying them... grumble grumble
This is a wonderful post -- thanks.

The sad reality is that the do-ers and makers in this world are far outweighed by the consumers and as a car becomes more "mainstream" the latter predominate.

In the last month I drove a friend's Bolt, and another friend's 911, and while I did not study either car's build quality in great detail I would still prefer my Model 3 hands down even if my Model 3 had issues, and even if those other cars were perfectly constructed.

I don't know when the most important part of a car became its quality. I suspect it's an effective way to differentiate cars when they are all functionally the same. Making quality the overriding top priority is like saying, "It doesn't really matter what features and capabilities the car has. If it has a paint blemish, a dimpled seat surface, or has a panel or a charge cover that isn't flush—it should not be accepted."

Just as balance to that attitude (which seems to reverberating right now on most Tesla forums), let me say that I do NOT feel that way. I would still be happier with my Model 3 if it had a charge cover that wasn't flush, or if there were a spot on the paint that I had to buff out and refinish myself, or if there was a wrinkle on one seat. I understand that people have waited a long time and the car is quite expensive so anxiety runs high, but it seems the crowd has lost its mind a little on this.

I realize that some people have a deeply held belief that "unless you complain, things will not get better." As noble as that sounds, I think you'll feel a little differently when someone side-swipes your car and it takes 8 weeks to fix your car because the service center is jammed with people who brought a long checklist, straight-edge, micrometer, and a strip light when they picked up their car.

Just sayin'.

Three factors to consider here:

1) TSLA is the most shorted public company. That means there are a tremendous number of people, and more importantly, institutional investors, that have heavily bet on its demise. When that happens, you will inevitably see negative media coverage, some more innocent than others. Yes, shorts can buy news.

2) I've been on a lot of car forums over many years. In general, you are going to see more of a concentration of negativity on them, generally because the people that are happy just go drive their car and don't make posts. I'm a good example. I'm a Model S owner, but these days I visit here because I'm interested in the Model 3 ramp. I visit the Model S forum every once in awhile, but usually only because some quirk or problem happens and I want to see if there's a good answer. So already you can expect to have a generally negative slant, where a lot of posts are "this happened, what do I do?"

3) This one is not confined to cars. It has to do with the psychology that goes along with the waiting process. The saying that "waiting is the hardest part" is pretty true. When there is a highly desirable product, whether it be a car, a phone, software, etc., people that are going through the waiting process tend to have bouts of negativity. I have no doubt many reservation holders have over-saturated themselves with the details of the car they haven't even got to order yet and they are going stir crazy! Enthusiasm and expectation can quickly turn into impatience and (hopefully temporary) disappointment.

Long story short, every Model 3 owner I've talked with is absolutely delighted with the product. I hope as production continues to ramp up that only continues.

I've had my share of small issues with my '14 S60, but this car has completely changed my outlook on personal transportation. It's so fundamental that it's hard to communicate to folks that still want to make comparisons to cars you have to drag to the gas station once every week or two. I get that everyone doesn't agree with that, but the good news is once you're in one, you don't need to argue with anyone, you have the luxury of driving it and enjoying it every day, and not thinking about the negativity anymore.

Super tl;dr

Awesome post! Of all the fellow T drivers I meet, I have never found even one who regrets the purchase or who doesn't try to explain to everybody he/she meets that this is the future and it's awesome in more ways than we can convey in a couple minutes. Let the haters and shorters keep hating... focus on our own enjoyment and continued support of a revolutionary company. Cheers.

I am sorry, I realize this has been shared multiples times in this forum, but this message below is so profound and quite apt for this topic, that I thought it is worth sharing one more time for those that may not have seen it.

Thank you for posting this!!!!! I just realized I have been turning into THAT GUY on these forums. One tiny experience with a Tesla and spreading doom and gloom. I watched this video in full and it MADE MY DAY.

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS!!!!!