Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So sick of the negativity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An often missed treasure in this forum is the Roadster section. Roadster owners were the original Tesla enthusiasts -- they took the leap spending more than most will on an S or an X, with no charging network (except the ones they built, esp on the West coast) - the true definition of 'early adopters'.

And while you'll find complaints here & there, the majority of original Roadster owners spend their time helping each other. You won't find the skewed negativity, just a bunch of good people who love the tech. And I'm pleased to say I count many as friends.

Edit: Oh! And none of the drama! It's remarkably drama-free.

Roadster is a niche and luxury model. You don’t have that safety and willingness if you trying to bring a model supposedly for a mass market for family transportation. People use this car as daily driver and transportation vehicles not as a weekend toy or extra money to throw at 50k car to see if it would not have any issues.

When people buy Camry or accord, they wouldn’t expect to see if they car would turn on or not drive when they wake up in the morning.

Everywhere you look and everywhere you hear so much negativity about Tesla. Seems like everyone is predicting it’s demise or whining about a lack of a feature. I’m going on the record to say I just got my model 3 yesterday and so far I love EVERYTHING about it. Panel gaps? Nope! Paint defects? Nope! Scratches on the center console? Nope! Problems with phone as a key? Nope! works Everytime.
That’s the problem with forums such as these they bring out the outliers, the few with unusual problems or the trolls. Well I’m hear to say that the model 3 I got was everything I want and more.

I was going to ‘like’ or even ‘love’ your post, until I noticed your choice of font. In fact, I noticed that everyone is using the same generic crappy font in every one of their posts on this forum. Now I know that Tesla is going bankrupt for sure!

Everywhere you look and everywhere you hear so much negativity about Tesla. Seems like everyone is predicting it’s demise or whining about a lack of a feature. I’m going on the record to say I just got my model 3 yesterday and so far I love EVERYTHING about it. Panel gaps? Nope! Paint defects? Nope! Scratches on the center console? Nope! Problems with phone as a key? Nope! works Everytime.
That’s the problem with forums such as these they bring out the outliers, the few with unusual problems or the trolls. Well I’m hear to say that the model 3 I got was everything I want and more.

A lot of the negativity is driven by fear and bruised egos.

I know many people who said 12 years ago that Tesla was going to go down the drain. They keep saying it year after year, but it doesn't happen. To them, Tesla is like some out of control Frankenstein's Monster that keeps lurching along and pursuing them, and just won't quit. People in the media and financial industry who lost face and lost money betting against Tesla have also been repeatedly humiliated. They are taking their anger out by saying nasty things about the company, instead of moving on.

A lot of the negativity is driven by fear and bruised egos.

I know many people who said 12 years ago that Tesla was going to go down the drain. They keep saying it year after year, but it doesn't happen. To them, Tesla is like some out of control Frankenstein's Monster that keeps lurching along and pursuing them, and just won't quit. People in the media and financial industry who lost face and lost money betting against Tesla have also been repeatedly humiliated. They are taking their anger out by saying nasty things about the company, instead of moving on.
Well said. Many people are personally invested - both emotionally and financially - in hating Tesla and its demise.

I see two reasons for it.

1. Tesla does have some hard economic times ahead and the way the market works shorting a stock can make you a ton of money and people like Martin Shkreli used social media to fuel his short-selling shenanigans and it worked. Now we've seen that cross over to the news media where networks like CNN have investors disguised as experts tell people of Tesla's demise (for their own self-interest) -- and what was in the past a pronounced and important requirement when an investor opines on his own stock, we now have the shovel out to try to bury it:

"Chanos added that though he is short on certain specific stocks, like Tesla (TSLA), he's confident in the S&P 500 overall."

Jim Chanos: Tesla investors are 'paying money to lose money'

2. People come to forums to post problems so we see pretty much every problem out there with the vehicles -- and that can give you a skewed view.

Very few people come to a forum and post what you did. So thanks for adding some perspective. Cheers!

Reactions: VBruce
Roadster is a niche and luxury model. You don’t have that safety and willingness if you trying to bring a model supposedly for a mass market for family transportation. People use this car as daily driver and transportation vehicles not as a weekend toy or extra money to throw at 50k car to see if it would not have any issues.

When people buy Camry or accord, they wouldn’t expect to see if they car would turn on or not drive when they wake up in the morning.

This is a good example of what I meant by online discussions not matching real-life experience. My Roadster replaced a used 60mpg Honda Insight as my daily transportation, and I needed it to start every morning for the 7 years I owned it because I didn't have an extra car. About 95 of the ~100 Roadster owners I have met has used it as a daily driver. Many of those conversations were years ago, and now that there are more alternatives a higher percentage of those owners may own a car like an S and keep the Roadster for weekends - but current use does not affect their concerns when they bought it.

I have owned a wide variety of types of vehicles over the years, and my need for dependable transportation has not changed based on what I am driving. The price of the Roadster was different than the price of the Insight, but I don't see why anybody I would assume I suddenly didn't care about standard car-owner issues just because I bought a more expensive car.

I think this is a much needed post, OP. I agree with everything you said, except for the phone as key. But in everything else, I like my M3 more than my Model S, which was already the best car I've ever owned. It's easy to take the positives for granted by focusing on the negatives, but Tesla makes a great product. I'm far happier as a Telsa owner than as an owner of any other vehicle.

That’s the problem with forums such as these they bring out the outliers, the few with unusual problems or the trolls. Well I’m hear to s
Some of the negativity is....just negativity. For some reason there are people who seem to want Tesla to die. Maybe they can't handle something new, something different, or they're just...negative.
There's another, smaller number of people on this forum who are pissed off they can't get the car they wanted, when they wanted it. I can understand that feeling, though the problem is more their expectations outpacing Tesla's ability to deliver than some problem with how the cars are made, ordered, delivered and operated.
Last (but not least) there are some people who were not Tesla fans, not Tesla owners, who came to the party with expectations formed through buying other cars. Some expensive, some not. They represent the new market that Model 3 is supposed to win over. After all, it doesn't take a lot to win over someone who is already on your side, as all early adopters are.
Convincing these non-early adopters that buying an EV is a great idea is essential to the mission of "accelerating the transition to sustainable transport." Early adopters are easy. They are friendly. They are willing to call a bug a feature and accept things nobody else would accept. But they don't move needles. For that you need big numbers, and many of those those big numbers buyers (buyers of entry-level luxury cars) are not predisposed to put up with a lot of crap.
Some of the "negativity" you're seeing here is from them. And I would argue it should be paid close attention to. Because the company needs them more than they need existing Tesla owners or devotees, nice and accepting as they may be.
Robin

Back to the car. Most post are for help with a problem. Thats the same for every car. Sharing with us all helps if we develop the same problem. Personally my S has been an angel. I think most owners agree? Yes there will always be problems, BUT, what auto firm is only a few yeas old? And done what Tesla has done? Zero. It will get better once the dust settles in Fremont.
I was stationed in Germany. Bought a new BMW. Drove it to Oslo and back the month after i got it. Had a list of problems. Dealer said i drove it to far to fast. I called Munich. He was the nicest man after he got a call from the factory. No car firm is perfect, not even a 100 yr old one.

I think the point was that the Roadster forum and community, for whatever reasons, are largely free of the negativity that's the subject of this thread. So if you get tired of it, go read some of the Roadster forums a bit (and I do sometimes). And if you can, bring that helpfulness and sense of community to the parts of the forums that you frequent.

I disagree with the assertion that higher-volume or "mass market" Teslas are incompatible with community building. Remember that in a sense, we're all still early adopters, just not as early as the people who bought the Roadsters back in the day.

Bruce.

(Not a Roadster owner, but I've been around a few Roadsters and their owners.)

So, because your experience does not jive with the majority of the posts here, it's because they must all be outliers? Have you stopped to consider that perhaps your experience is the actual outlier?

Congrats on your 3 - according to the Trolls, you have the only 3 in existence without panel gaps and a working key.

No there are at least two of us :). No issues with the car it just works better than expected.

But I did have to find a work around with the phone key as short range blue tooth is VERY short range. If the phone is in the back pocket the car will not see it much of the time, but if in a front pocket or in my hand it is a 100% success.

What in the world does any of that have to do with my comment that the Roadster area of this forum was my favorite area???

(And if you think it's a luxury model, you're very very misinformed. :) And for many (including me until I sold), it is/was a daily driver and primary mode of transport. )

Reactions: Jivas and dhrivnak
Last (but not least) there are some people who were not Tesla fans, not Tesla owners, who came to the party with expectations formed through buying other cars. Some expensive, some not. They represent the new market that Model 3 is supposed to win over. After all, it doesn't take a lot to win over someone who is already on your side, as all early adopters are.
Convincing these non-early adopters that buying an EV is a great idea is essential to the mission of "accelerating the transition to sustainable transport." Early adopters are easy. They are friendly. They are willing to call a bug a feature and accept things nobody else would accept. But they don't move needles. For that you need big numbers, and many of those those big numbers buyers (buyers of entry-level luxury cars) are not predisposed to put up with a lot of crap.
Some of the "negativity" you're seeing here is from them. And I would argue it should be paid close attention to. Because the company needs them more than they need existing Tesla owners or devotees, nice and accepting as they may be.
Robin

There's a difference between an actual early adopter and having an early adopter mentality. Unlike a phone, where the price of entry is within most people's grasp, a Tesla is not. So you have early adopters who can afford a Roadster. But then you have adopters who get a 3 and can't technically be called "early", but they might be just as forgiving as an early adopter, knowing that a new mishmash of technology is going to take some time to get right. Not all 3 adopters will have this mentality, but it's false to assume that because the price point is moving toward mass market that you don't have "early adopters" anymore. I'd venture to say that there's still a lot of people with the early adopter mentality out there who simply didn't have the means to get in earlier. Count me in as one.

I still believe in tesla & TSLA but 5k run rate would provide a much needed break in negative clickbait.

Oh if only that were true. There's always a way to put a negative spin on things. Once the run rate is high, it will be about negative margins. And SolarCity. And taking on more than they can chew (Y, semi, roadsterv2, etc). They should have made a crossover first. S and X sales are getting cannibalized. The iPace, MissionE, GM Zolt will be the next Tesla killer. Cobalt cliff.

Hey I'm pretty good at this. I can be a short too!